Is Valentini Puffer reef safe?

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys :)

so last night I watched this documentary with the wife about a little puffer called puff he was a Valentini Puffer! It was a really good documentary unfortunately it’s convinced the wife we need to buy one and call it Puff haha.

Long story short I’m being pestered about this I’ve did some research and got mixed articles about these puffers being reef safe .. has anyone here had one and can confirm them to be reef safe ? Or is it a simple case of you risk it and hope it doesn’t start eating corals.

my tanks still cycling at the moment I don’t plan on getting one soon if it’s possible would probably be one of the last ones to introduce.

thanks for reading!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very difficult to keep long term.
Big Ick magnet.
Don’t do well with other tank mates, not agressive, more shy.
Species only tank if you do go forward.
Soft corals only, others way to sensitive to higher nitrates.
Needs excellent filtration.
Sorry.

OP
OP
Seagre

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big Ick magnet.
Sorry.
Aww that sucks :( they are nice little fish too! Thanks :)

OP
OP
Seagre

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you really researched it? Like, not only just words...but images? If I had pictures of him, I'd post them for you to see. He finally died this spring, but they dont really have a long lifespan :disappointed-face:
I’ve researched them for a few hours from what I could gather from YouTube and web pages they can be Reef safe but depends on the personality of the individual fish .. I just wanted an opinion from some reefers on here hoping they would be more likely to be fine than non reef safe but if they aren’t there’s nothing that can be done!

Sad to hear of the passing though :/

thankyou!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a blue spot for 5 years. Best fish in the tank, personality wise. He did nip at most sps. Plating montis left alone. Most sticks nibbled down. Euphyllia, mushrooms, gonis ok.

OP
OP
Seagre

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a blue spot for 5 years. Best fish in the tank, personality wise. He did nip at most sps. Plating montis left alone. Most sticks nibbled down. Euphyllia, mushrooms, gonis ok.
Hmm to risk or not to risk that’s the thing! I’ve heard their personalities are amazing!

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Valentini for several years. Thought it was a pretty easy fish. Super cool, no issues with tank mates. It did like to snack on a few corals though, I actually watched it take perfect little bites out of my monti caps! I don’t think I ever touched torches, zoa’s, etc. Eventually I rehomed it, just causing a bit too much damage. In my experience you may just be limited to the types of coral you can keep with one.

OP
OP
Seagre

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Valentini for several years. Thought it was a pretty easy fish. Super cool, no issues with tank mates. It did like to snack on a few corals though, I actually watched it take perfect little bites out of my monti caps! I don’t think I ever touched torches, zoa’s, etc. Eventually I rehomed it, just causing a bit too much damage. In my experience you may just be limited to the types of coral you can keep with one.
Hmm I don’t want to be limited though I might just need to setup another tank with some LPS and a puffer then that way I don’t need to worry about being limited! Thanks :)

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve researched them for a few hours from what I could gather from YouTube and web pages they can be Reef safe but depends on the personality of the individual fish .. I just wanted an opinion from some reefers on here hoping they would be more likely to be fine than non reef safe but if they aren’t there’s nothing that can be done!

Sad to hear of the passing though :/

thankyou!
to be clear....I am talking about a valentini I have no other experience with any other puffer...

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big Ick magnet.
Sorry.

Disagree.

My Valentini is probably the easiest fish I have. Not aggressive, leaves corals alone, just have to refresh snail supply every month. Doesn't fight or run from tank mates. They are hit and miss with coral picking though. But generally if you keep them well fed they are fine.

Maybe I was just lucky, but my lil guy is great.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a model citizen, ate mostly pellets and didn't bother the sps or softies. He did get sick after about 6 months, just stopped eating. Not sure what was the issue - it was painful to see him die after about 2 weeks of not eating and hiding. Not planning on getting another one as i hear they are very sensitive but worth a try anyway
DSC_1541 (1).png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back