Is your salt "breaking down" and do you worry about it?

Do you worry about your pre-made, mixed saltwater "breaking down" before it can be used?

• YES

Votes: 60 13.5%
  • NO

Votes: 340 76.4%
  • I do now

Votes: 38 8.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.6%

• Total voters

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would a salt solution break down? It's a chemical solution and until you add organics it shouldn't change.
I have seen on BRSTV that some salt mixes break down and the calcium, alkalinity do not stand up if mixed and let to sit for long periods of time, but for the most part most commercial salt mixes hold up pretty good when you mix and let them set for long periods of time. When I am going to do a water change I usually mix my salt 24-48 hours prior to using it and make about 3 gallons more than what I am going to be using just in case I need more. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystal salt mix. I have a 125 gallon which is currently cycling but when I need to do water changes I will do 20% every two weeks if needed or 40% monthly. I know there are people out there that never do water changes and I think that is great and usually works on well established larger tanks.

SpiceReefer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone circulate the stored salt water until it is used?
My mixing pump is set to circulate for 15 minutes every 4 hours. That seemed to help with my last 2 water changes, as mixed salt sat for more than 1 1/2 weeks in both cases. After 15 gallon change Alk decreased from 9.79 to 9.66, Ca remained the same at 407ppm, and Mg dropped from 1433 to 1413. All of these changes were less drastic than when I mix and let sit. Using Red Sea Coral Pro.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do cats spontaneously combust?

Well I think......

My 3 cats never.........

It was horrible when...........

Panama Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do water changes via Reefers Moonshine Method. If I need to raise salinity I just slowly pour my salt right into my sump filter socks.
Kung Fu Reaction GIF

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do worry a bit as Aquaforest Reef Salt (that i will not use in the future) has amino acids and vitamin C if I recall correctly

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do worry a bit as Aquaforest Reef Salt (that i will not use in the future) has amino acids and vitamin C if I recall correctly

Yes, mixes like that have the potential to change as bacteria consume those organics, and if not aerated, might even become anaerobic and produce hydrogen sulfide.

Personally, I think if people want those things added to their aquaria, there are much better ways than via the salt mix.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may depend of the storage container used. Is it plastic ( polymer containing usable carbon) on which bacteria like to grow? In the case bacteria will grow fast and consume what they can from the mix. Was the container previously used for something else, for example to store used aquarium water? Was the container properly disinfected ? The mix is best stored in the dark, also photo-autotrophs may grow , produce protein and use from the saltmix, cycling the content of the container.

Most salt mixes contain a limited amount of nitrogen and phosphorus which limits the growth. In the case, how suitable is a standard salt mix for cycling a new tank?
Mixed salts ready to be used, it will not take long for the mix to contain some organics which will be cycled.
A salt mix stored ready to use, a lot of the usable content may have been stored in organics.

Dissolving salts, store the mix at high concentration, if necessary.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may depend of the storage container used. Is it plastic ( polymer containing usable carbon) on which bacteria like to grow? In the case bacteria will grow fast and consume what they can from the mix. Was the container previously used for something else, for example to store used aquarium water? Was the container properly disinfected ? The mix is best stored in the dark, also photo-autotrophs may grow , produce protein and use from the saltmix, cycling the content of the container.

Most salt mixes contain a limited amount of nitrogen and phosphorus which limits the growth. In the case, how suitable is a standard salt mix for cycling a new tank?
Mixed salts ready to be used, it will not take long for the mix to contain some organics which will be cycled.
A salt mix stored ready to use, a lot of the usable content may have been stored in organics.

Dissolving salts, store the mix at high concentration, if necessary.

IMO, that is a poor plan.

Trying to make hypersaline artificial seawater can easily result in precipitation of calcium carbonate because you are pushing alkalinity and calcium much too high to be stable.

I'm also not sure what you mean by usable carbon, but bacteria are not consuming the carbon that is part of any ordinary plastic container.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, that is a poor plan.

Trying to make hypersaline artificial seawater can easily result in precipitation of calcium carbonate because you are pushing alkalinity and calcium much too high to be stable.

I'm also not sure what you mean by usable carbon, but bacteria are not consuming the carbon that is part of any ordinary plastic container.
Hypersaline? It is the intention the salts stay in solution. Also depending on the mix used.

Ordinary? These days ordinary plastic containers ( polymers) must have good UV resistance but also be biodegradable. A lot of bacteria have a preference for certain plastics. Heterotrophs will grow using carbon from the plastic if other nutrients are available.
Tube denitrators? The tube quality ( soft plastic) used makes a big difference for the attachment of the biofilm?

Putting water in a plastic container it will not take long before organics are produced, exempt if everything is properly disinfected. The container and the water. High salinty will limit growth. It is always just a question of time for the water to become unusable for the purpose.

Drinking water in a bottle, it also has an expiring date.

Last edited:

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been doing an AWS for a few years. Every 14 days I make 65 gallons of fresh salt water. Have not had issues with 'break down' as the levels in my tank are extremely stable. I think there are so many variables to this one it is not an easy question? Temperature of water (salt dissolved better at a warmer temp than a colder one), evaporation, type of salt, length of storage, mixing methods, etc etc

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix up 300 L batches of tropic marin proreef, these are used over 3 months for an auto water change system. Not had any issues so far, maybe salts with very high alk might see some precipitation, but can't see why it would be an issue for lower alk salts.
I use TM Pro as well and store 50 gallons, used up over a couple weeks. I do notice floaties, like grey dust, on the surface of the water after a week or so, even when starting with a freshly cleaned storage tank.

I do not use a heater, but do circulate lightly around the clock with an MP10 at low speed. I am beginning to suspect the MP10 may be introducing something which is causing the floaties. Maybe it had contaminates on it, or maybe the heat from it is causing the floaties, but still trying to narrow it down.

So my question is, do I really need to circulate with TM Pro stored for a couple weeks? Trying to figure out what is causing the floaties and would like to rule out the pump. Do you circulate and/or heat with TM Pro?

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No.
2. It sits until whenever I need it.
Thanks. I'll remove the circulation pump and see if it makes any difference. I thought it was helpful in keeping it fresh and oxygenated. Maybe I'm wrong. I was planning to take it out anyway to see if it was causing the debris floating on the surface. Will report back after the next fill.

Back