Is your tank or future tank... Sand or Bare Bottom?

Sand or Bare Bottom?

• Sand

Votes: 60 69.8%
  • Bare Bottom

Votes: 27 31.4%

• Total voters

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting closer and closer to the move date, I keep thinking about the bottom of my lagoon. As you see in my build thread currently it is bare bottom... Why? Not entirely sure, but what I do know is that this time around I will be adding sand to it! One thing I will say about for both... Bare bottom is easier to clean, sand has a much more natural and aesthetically pleasing look!

What is your current system have.? Sand or a Bare Bottom!

Look forward to seeing this thread and discussion!

1620088335174.png

Pic credit @aquatony

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Blaine!

I’m going with sand. Why? I like the idea of approximating a real reef. I’m aware that this isn’t actually possible but still. Also I love the shrimp and goby symbiotic stuff. Definitely on my stock list.

Lastly? This is my first reef. I figure I may as well go sand and explore that path. Who knows, maybe my eventual upgrade will be BB. I kinda doubt it though. I also love the aesthetic of sand in a reef.

Reaction GIF

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting closer and closer to the move date, I keep thinking about the bottom of my lagoon. As you see in my build thread currently it is bare bottom... Why? Not entirely sure, but what I do know is that this time around I will be adding sand to it! One thing I will say about for both... Bare bottom is easier to clean, sand has a much more natural and aesthetically pleasing look!

What is your current system have.? Sand or a Bare Bottom!

Look forward to seeing this thread and discussion!

1620088335174.png

Pic credit @aquatony
Bare bottom looks too artificial to my eye.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Blaine!

I’m going with sand. Why? I like the idea of approximating a real reef. I’m aware that this isn’t actually possible but still. Also I love the shrimp and goby symbiotic stuff. Definitely on my stock list.

Lastly? This is my first reef. I figure I may as well go sand and explore that path. Who knows, maybe my eventual upgrade will be BB. I kinda doubt it though. I also love the aesthetic of sand in a reef.

Reaction GIF
Whats going on my friend!! I agree the pistol shrimp goby pair is something to die for and sand is needed... thinking maybe Yasha goby pair to add into the lagoon on this next revamp.... maybe???

I also think the sand bed is a great addition to the tanks natural filtration too! I do think having a frag tank you want it to be BB makes things easier.

Hope all is well my friend!

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats going on my friend!! I agree the pistol shrimp goby pair is something to die for and sand is needed... thinking maybe Yasha goby pair to add into the lagoon on this next revamp.... maybe???

I also think the sand bed is a great addition to the tanks natural filtration too! I do think having a frag tank you want it to be BB makes things easier.

Hope all is well my friend!

Things are well. Got my health and can still pursue this passion. Glad you’re doing well!

I agree as far as frag setups go. I have a secret plan (haven’t told the lady yet lol) for a frag grow out setup in the garage. Already got the go ahead to use my bay for something other than car, so why not right? Long story short, planning on a 50g stock tank grow out setup next to the RoDI station. Not planning on sand. Just a bunch of rock in the sump.

Sidenote, loving your YouTube content. Keep it up!

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are well. Got my health and can still pursue this passion. Glad you’re doing well!

I agree as far as frag setups go. I have a secret plan (haven’t told the lady yet lol) for a frag grow out setup in the garage. Already got the go ahead to use my bay for something other than car, so why not right? Long story short, planning on a 50g stock tank grow out setup next to the RoDI station. Not planning on sand. Just a bunch of rock in the sump.

Sidenote, loving your YouTube content. Keep it up!
Ohhhh love it! Nice little space for yourself love that, getting ready to move and one of the prerequisites to moving into the new home was a room for an office/fish room space. It worked out to my favor surprisingly!

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh love it! Nice little space for yourself love that, getting ready to move and one of the prerequisites to moving into the new home was a room for an office/fish room space. It worked out to my favor surprisingly!

Well, I figure if her half is her “she shed”

taking up a little room for my coral isn’t too much to ask for. The rest of the area will be for outdoor storage. Pegboard and all that.

time will tell.

and you set for a fish room?! Nice! Our house isn’t set up so that’s a possibility for me. Also can’t reasonably set up any AWC due to layout. Still, years from now, I shall insist on a fish room haha

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep trying to talk myself into a bare bottom every time I set up a new tank... I know it's easier to manage. But...I always end up doing sand for the look. ;Facepalm

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, bare bottom just doesn’t look good. Especially when no coral is down there. But generally they are so much easier to clean. And then there is a stability aspect, BB tanks are incredibly unstable until about 1 year or even longer. Simply not suitable for coral.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep trying to talk myself into a bare bottom every time I set up a new tank... I know it's easier to manage. But...I always end up doing sand for the look. ;Facepalm
Sand is that natural vibe though!!! Recreating that actual reef right, you are just going with your gut too I like it!

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both , currently im running a DD300 bare bottom , the sand bed over time will harden in the dead spots of the tank and can become toxic if its stirred up . The bare bottom definitely took longer to cycle but i can have a ton of flow and really keep detritus to a minimum .

Attachments

• NEW UPDATED CLEAN PIC OF 300.jpg
    NEW UPDATED CLEAN PIC OF 300.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 69

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had both and will have sand this time around just prefer the fauna in sand and the other live stock.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand... would never want to keep a tank without leopard wrasses.

Partial sand would be fine too but have to have sand for those beautiful fish.

Overbrook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a big part of the decision is what corals you’re gonna grow, their flow requirements, the size of your tank, and your tolerance for having a snow globe (blowing sand).
Something like:
LPS = prob can’t go wrong.
SPS in a cube = bare bottom or BIG sand.
SPS in a longer tank with flow on the ends = fine sand might work ok.

I started a cube with fiji pink sand that turned the thing into a snow globe at moderate flow levels. Took the sand out after 9 months (10% weekly) and things have been doing really well since (more stable, SPS growing). Makes me wonder if that’s a way to avoid the BB startup challenges everyone talks about. Start with a shallow bed and remove after 6 months or so.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back