OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Plumbed and fitted. Gasket leak test passed.

cd70d424e4b73cbbe594536e52d36184.jpg

Now to hook this M1 up so I can test the plumbing.

Crossing fingers about my crude fix that I mentioned earlier.

a8e7f0dd45def51a1037bef4b5039eb8.jpg

Dropped

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a double take to realise this is not a Red Sea Reefer, Nice work!

Like the scape, seems minimal which I like more than over crowded with rock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. I appreciate the comment. It's a slow build. Still kicking myself for unscrewing the union.

Lesson: Check Union first, to insure o-ring is present and accounted for, put it back together, !!!THEN!!! cement.

SlowMN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely will be following this. Great build so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Arron209

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought an ikea BESTA shallow cabinet for my electrical stuff (APEX, etc.) this past weekend.

The inside of the stand is tight.

But...

I'm not digging it. It's totally throwing off the balance of the Aquarium in relation to other things in the room.

I think I'm going to try to veneer the front and top with wood, and stain it or something. Make it less computer tower-like. It doesn't even match the "legitimate" white of the CADlights stand.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461041856.366290.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461041866.781894.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461041878.249886.jpg

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah. [emoji3]

Note that the door is soooo heavy that it truly needs to be mounted to the wall or stand for it to open properly.

I think I'm going to get a couple of metal braces and mount it to the CADlight stand from the backside. Similar to mounting a light stand.

But I gotta change it up somehow visually. It's so bulky looking.

Cheers!!

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, last thing. I didn't know this, but you gotta buy the shelves. The BESTA IKEA cabinet doesn't come with any. And it wasn't clear to me that it didn't. I'll need to make another run to our local ikea.

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Been following your thread. I have the same tank and put a cabinet similar beside mine that the apex, light ballast, DJ strip etc are in. Mine has 2 doors and have no issues. Of course in this old pic there is a rock on it. You can see apex controller mounted to front.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have checked more closely if they had two doors available. I love the idea of the Apex mounted the front. Did you drill a small hole for the unit to feed the wire through? Super clean setup.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking good man, mine is pretty settled in know. Had an Alk swing that I'm still paying for:( Really like your rock scape! I believe you'll be happy with the tank once you get it wet and stuff growing..;) That is one big BP reactor. I went with the Skimz BR83. Hangs right on the sump.

Here is mine from a few weeks ago.
FTS 3_17_16.jpg

Last edited:

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought an ikea BESTA shallow cabinet for my electrical stuff (APEX, etc.) this past weekend.

The inside of the stand is tight.

But...

I'm not digging it. It's totally throwing off the balance of the Aquarium in relation to other things in the room.

I think I'm going to try to veneer the front and top with wood, and stain it or something. Make it less computer tower-like. It doesn't even match the "legitimate" white of the CADlights stand.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461041856.366290.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461041866.781894.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461041878.249886.jpg

* Where was it that you found that side cabinet? Do you know if they have them in Black? I've looked on their site but can't find it.
Thx

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 2 @EcoTechMarine Vortech MP10wQD pumps from @BulkReefSupply & got 2 free control stands w/just my BRS points. Nice!!

Should be good for a 70g. Do i need a reeflink to control these?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460005089.272960.jpg
When you first place the MP-10s, hold them in place for a couple of minutes so foam cushion can settle in. Make sure you have exterior mount solid in place. I mentioned these items because when I put mine in place, they drove me nuts falling off, lost mag attraction. Give it a try, you may not have the same issues I did
but we do have the same tanks. When they're settled in, you can really move some water. I sync mine up and run them @ 60% alternating back to front.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Salty1962 thanks for the guidance.

Yes, the Bio Pellet reactor is the one I got with the CADlights set. It *is* quite large. I might sell it and get a smaller one.

Regarding the MP10s, does the glass exceed the magnet limitations? I haven't heard @ecotech's having that issue. But thank you for the heads up.

The BESTA iKea cabinets are listed on the ikea website (or in-store). You can select the color from black or white.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Salty1962 thanks for the guidance.

Yes, the Bio Pellet reactor is the one I got with the CADlights set. It *is* quite large. I might sell it and get a smaller one.

Regarding the MP10s, does the glass exceed the magnet limitations? I haven't heard @ecotech's having that issue. But thank you for the heads up.

The BESTA iKea cabinets are listed on the ikea website (or in-store). You can select the color from black or white.

The glass depth is right at the limits of the MP-10s. Securing the motor well and holding the impeller lets them seat, magnetically, well.
I looked on the Ikea website but could not find the type of cabinet you bought. Do you have a model#?
If you go with another BP Reactor, I love the Skimz BR83. It has a dc controllable pump so you can adjust the tumbling of the bps. It can hold up to 400ml of bps which is more than enough. JMO. BRS has them on sale every once in a while. For our size tanks/sumps it's perfect. I have mine mounted on the inside of the 3rd chamber. Here is a link to the reactor; http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-br83-monzter-biopellet-reactor-combo-kit.html
Really like how you've put yours together, you're going to love it, I do.

Last edited:

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics I had some but I guess I deleted them. Yes I drilled several holes on the side toward the back where all of the cords go to DJ strip, apex etc. one on front side where apex is velcroed on.
I will see if I can get a descent pic of th inside tonight.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back