Isochrysis culture regime...thoughts?

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
low light on a nutrient-depleted iso culture stayed stable (or at least recoverable) for ~6months?
wow. I never got my iso that well-trained.
Pretty yellow after darker orange. A couple months I think after it starts to be failed I think. Trying to bring some back now. Smells like Iso still.

IMG_2785.JPG

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a secchi, haven't found any I liked. I'm looking for a decent quality plastic one. Is yours like that? If so, where did you get it from?

This is interesting about the low light thing. I may try this on my Porphyridium culture because one of them is a deep tomato red, but I have no use for it for like the next week or so and don't want to have it decline on me.

If anyone else in here grows Porphyridium, does it grow stupid fast for you as well or have I just stumbled onto luck with mine? I can grow a full gallon in just 4 days that is super red and thick with tons of it sticking to the glass ready to seed the next batch. I find this interesting as the place I bought it from states it's a slow grower.
I use Algae Research Supply. They have a cheap plastic secchi stick, and cultures. As well as all the culture flasks and etc. I have Porphyridium also. Doesn't grow fast though. Stasis as well. Mine is very sensitive, so I just leave it be for now.
IMG_2785 2.JPG

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Algae Research Supply. They have a cheap plastic secchi stick, and cultures. As well as all the culture flasks and etc. I have Porphyridium also. Doesn't grow fast though. Stasis as well. Mine is very sensitive, so I just leave it be for now.
IMG_2785 2.JPG
Interesting. I grow a full super dense 4L of it in literally just 4 days from only about 100ml of starter porphy from another container. The one I'm having the most trouble keeping alive and doing well is the Nanno. I've been adjusting salinity levels, increased air circulation, tried more and less f/2... it's just weird how slow it grows. My Iso, Tetra, and Porphy all will be incredibly dense in just a 4 to 5 day window using 4L glass jars and very little starter algae.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back