Isolating a Bully.

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone isolated a bully fish before? If so for how long?

I have two new fish, they are fine until food is in the tank at which point my Rusty Angelfish just turns into an arsehole and starts bullying the two new inhabitants, the Midas blenny is okay he's still getting food and so is the Tomini Tang, but the tangs seems to be subjected to more bullying than the Blenny, I understand this is due to similarity in species. But he's been nipped on his fins and I don't want him to get hurt anymore, thankfully, the tang is the only one in the tank who touches the seaweed so he is getting food that others do not care for. (He's tiny though, like an inch at most)

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when I have had a fish that bullies others, it is every time but feeding, as when eating they all get distracted. You can try lots of things that can be more difficult from trying to catch it, to moving some of your rock work around etc. One easy thing that sometimes works, is just attaching a small mirror to the glass. Usually the mean fish will hate it's reflection more than the other fish, gives the rest a break. If only happening during feeding, then perhaps you should try to feed smaller amounts more often, if they are competing that hard for food, and only have issues during eating, maybe they are not getting enough. Just my thoughts! :)

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add food to different parts of the tank to ensure they all get some?
Pretty sure I could, i'll try that I haven't really seen the tang eat anything other than algae on the glass and seaweed, which is his diet

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I could, i'll try that I haven't really seen the tang eat anything other than algae on the glass and seaweed, which is his diet
Tangs will eat anything ! The arsehole will calm down I think, just showing dominance that’s all! What the others said is good, I wouldn’t risk talking him out of the tank,

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...One easy thing that sometimes works, is just attaching a small mirror to the glass. Usually the mean fish will hate it's reflection more than the other fish.... :)
This feels like a beautiful metaphor for all bullies.

Last edited:

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try increasing frequency of feeding if not I've read others having success after giving bully fish time out in sump for few days. However catching a fish can be a PIA... it took me weeks to catch my flame angel that was eating coral.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious - are you turning off your flow during feeding. I find that this problem is avoided - if you have the flow on so that food is distributed throughout the tank. Often fish have little territories in the tank. If you happen to add food into the Angels territory - he (or she) is going to try to chase the others away in all likelihood. Try feeding in different parts of the tank, etc.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tolerate “bullying” under the following conditions.
-the bullying started as a result of a recent addition.
-the bullying does not result in major damage.
-the bullying is not constant or sustained for hours on end.
-the bullying does not result in the fish constantly hiding, not eating at all and wearing.

You added two new fish. It’s always best IMO to make every attempt to let THEM work things out, this is how long term peace will be found.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - are you turning off your flow during feeding. I find that this problem is avoided - if you have the flow on so that food is distributed throughout the tank. Often fish have little territories in the tank. If you happen to add food into the Angels territory - he (or she) is going to try to chase the others away in all likelihood. Try feeding in different parts of the tank, etc.
I turn my gyres off, but leave the return running. I feed in multiple areas and have no issue with my two tangs while feeding.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through this right now...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back