Issue with 3181 reactor after powering it off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Roger,

I bought a MAR-3181 in December and it initially ran fine, but I find that anytime it gets turned off it doesn't start up again correctly - the pump is on and making a slight noise but it's not pumping water into the reactor. the head height on the tube is just a few inches as the reactor sits lower than the pump by 2' and there are no kinks in the tubing. I've tried running the pump at max but that doesn't help. If I empty the reactor of water it will work again, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have to do that?

Thanks.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is normal, the pump cannot start against the back pressure. This tends to only be an issue in a canister filter type install, when in a sump, it drains back down to the sump water level when stopped and can generally restart easily, but otherwise water has to be removed to alleviate the back pressure on the pump.

OP
OP
Twosixpax

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is normal, the pump cannot start against the back pressure. This tends to only be an issue in a canister filter type install, when in a sump, it drains back down to the sump water level when stopped and can generally restart easily, but otherwise water has to be removed to alleviate the back pressure on the pump.
Got it - thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back