Issue with HD’s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

wanted to share an issue I’ve had with AI Prime HD’s, specifically the HD16.

It appears that these lights have a fundamental flaw, the lenses that are used don’t hold up very well. I have had 2 HD16’s where the lens has started to melt, specifically near the violet LED diode.

My lights are in a well ventilated area, and have never been shut off due to overheating, the fan actually doesn’t even get that loud and the screen too gets regularly cleaned to ensure no dust accumulates. Yet the lenses still melt, the last 2 lights have had the lens melt within 8 months of use; the lights schedule that I am using is very similar to the AB+ that BRS has published.

Customer support hasn’t been very helpful with this situation, and it almost appears as if they would rather not address the issue and instead just throw replacement lenses your way.

This doesn’t seem like the best approach and almost seems like the issue, if left unnoticed could be a potential fire hazard or even a tank hazard (what if the melting lens dropped into the tank?).

I just wanted to share this, in case others are looking at these lights. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to use, but it seems like that is all at the price of the products longevity and being unreliable.

As mentioned above, I’ve contacted customer support (with little to no help) and have also reached out to BRS for their help (they have been supportive in trying to get AI Customer service to help).

if anyone has some other suggestions on how to get this light replaced, or issue resolved I’d appreciate the help.

picture of both lights melting can be provided upon request, and as mentioned above, this happened both times within an 8month window…

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know this really only happens when you overdrive the violet/UV channels (ie over 100%). I agree that they shouldn’t allow you to overdrive them if doing so is going to melt the lens, but it seems fairly easy to avoid. I’ve not had my lens melt, but I know a couple people who have, and AI has always sent them new lenses for free. Again, doesn’t excuse it, but at least they’re willing to fix it even out of warranty. Hopefully in the next redesign they’ll fix it.

OP
OP
kev.2013

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know this really only happens when you overdrive the violet/UV channels (ie over 100%). I agree that they shouldn’t allow you to overdrive them if doing so is going to melt the lens, but it seems fairly easy to avoid. I’ve not had my lens melt, but I know a couple people who have, and AI has always sent them new lenses for free. Again, doesn’t excuse it, but at least they’re willing to fix it even out of warranty. Hopefully in the next redesign they’ll fix it.
They should probably recall the product then if it can’t perform as illustrated on their website, wouldn’t that make sense? Isn’t this false advertisement, saying your product can do X - but when it does it can’t perform?

I know it’s probably just a design issue, but replacing the lens on this seems like a poor bandaid fix that’ll just happen again. As mentioned above, this light is only 8 months old and AI has provided nothing but poor customer service. Last time this happened, I used their SEP program to replace my light completely. Now customer service doesn’t personally have that option and you need to escalate to a manager to take this approach; problem is the customer service reps don’t have the ability to transfer you to a manager, nor provide you a direct number. You have to wait for a call back, which if you miss because of being on a work call for example, you have to start the process all over again.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should probably recall the product then if it can’t perform as illustrated on their website, wouldn’t that make sense? Isn’t this false advertisement, saying your product can do X - but when it does it can’t perform?

I know it’s probably just a design issue, but replacing the lens on this seems like a poor bandaid fix that’ll just happen again. As mentioned above, this light is only 8 months old and AI has provided nothing but poor customer service. Last time this happened, I used their SEP program to replace my light completely. Now customer service doesn’t personally have that option and you need to escalate to a manager to take this approach; problem is the customer service reps don’t have the ability to transfer you to a manager, nor provide you a direct number. You have to wait for a call back, which if you miss because of being on a work call for example, you have to start the process all over again.
I completely agree with you Kevin.2003:
The same lens melt down has occurred to me on 4- Hydra32HD’s that are about 1 year old. Definitely a design flaw on a product that doesn’t perform as it should. I sent a request their way, hopefully I’ll get 8 lenses sent. Still I feel like you do, not getting what I paid for. Here are some pictures, first showing Randy’s setting recommendation on the BRSTV video. My settings, and the damage done.
E586077D-939B-402E-AC8A-5328C1D769C1.jpeg
3364949E-AD40-4E4D-AC14-CFEE47415664.png
21A79083-1EF4-45DC-91CF-D26BA235BF26.jpeg
8322C3A1-0388-4FAC-8C7C-2D07586228AE.jpeg
F8D882C7-930F-42DD-8D80-183C87E87DBE.jpeg
9CE60F86-7A8F-4A61-828B-4100AA55AFCF.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back