Issue with low parameters from Red Sea salt

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a Pyrex measuring cup to add it to the water. Once it’s fully mixed/clear, I check salinity and add more salt or dilute with RODI until it’s 35ppt. Once it’s done mixing and warmed up to tank temp, I recheck salinity. You stated that Red Sea test kits are known to read 100-200ppm high, yet went on to say that my 50/50 mix tested nearly spot on to what was expected, despite the magnesium testing nearly 100ppm lower. That all being said, my tank water tells a different tale. I have been struggling with “chasing Mg numbers” (bad I know) and couldn’t figure out why daily tests kept showing it dropping despite dosing 10ppm daily. I just tested it with the Red Sea test and it’s reading 1500ppm where the Salifert test reads 1190. Sorry, but I’m convinced that the Salifert test is faulty.

Have you used a reference solution to check both mag tests? Not saying Salifert is correct but you’re telling me the Red Sea is reading 1500 when you should be seeing 1300? That’s right on being 200ppm over which has already been documented on here well over a dozen times and I extensively tested during my salt testing

Edit: I see you tested your tank with Red Sea not the makeup water. Excuse the last part

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used a reference solution to check both mag tests? Not saying Salifert is correct but you’re telling me the Red Sea is reading 1500 when you should be seeing 1300? That’s right on being 200ppm over which has already been documented on here well over a dozen times and I extensively tested during my salt testing

Edit: I see you tested your tank with Red Sea not the makeup water. Excuse the last part
I

I haven’t, actually. And I honestly wanted to use an Aquaforest kit for that very reason but the LFS doesn’t carry it. My tank has only been set up for several months so it’s had up and down moments. It was actually initially filled using all Red Sea Coral Pro salt and only recently did I start using a 50/50 mix with blue bucket to keep alkalinity a bit lower while still maintaining slightly higher Cal and Mag. I was chasing Mag numbers to try to get to around 1300 and had been dosing yet the Salifert test kept showing it lower…often below 1200 regardless of daily 10ppm dosages. All the while it was going up and I wasn’t seeing a “stop point” to reduce the dosing. Simply put, the Red Sea kit confirmed that, even if it might be showing 200ppm higher.
I just tested again tonight and Salifert shows 1080, Red Sea kit turned blue at 1500….salinity still right at 35ppt.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back