Issue with Polyp Bailout for Torch and Frog Spawn

Hank The Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Torch that wasn't doing so well so I watched a video on dosing magnesium (Kent) to help it. I followed the bottle's instruction. After dosing the torch started to polyp bailout and both heads have died. Worsts off, my frog spawn was doing fantastic and now one of it's head have bailed out too. I'm suspecting the magnesium was too high (above 1500) after dosing and both corals didn't like it.

Here is my main question: After the bailout, I have a skeleton of the torch (see pic). Should I just throw it out or is there a chance the polyps will grow back? Sounds like a dumb question, but I'm new to this hobby. Videos on the tube just talk about the problem but no one spoke of what to do with the remains.

Thanks for your advice.

IMG_5219.JPG IMG_5218.JPG

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Torch that wasn't doing so well so I watched a video on dosing magnesium (Kent) to help it. I followed the bottle's instruction. After dosing the torch started to polyp bailout and both heads have died. Worsts off, my frog spawn was doing fantastic and now one of it's head have bailed out too. I'm suspecting the magnesium was too high (above 1500) after dosing and both corals didn't like it.

Here is my main question: After the bailout, I have a skeleton of the torch (see pic). Should I just throw it out or is there a chance the polyps will grow back? Sounds like a dumb question, but I'm new to this hobby. Videos on the tube just talk about the problem but no one spoke of what to do with the remains.

Thanks for your advice.

IMG_5219.JPG IMG_5218.JPG
I don't think the polyps will grow back in the skeleton, but the ones that bailed may attach to substrate and begin a new colony. This is the purpose of the bailout; local conditions deemed not suitable for survival, let's try elsewhere.
Problem is your tank is all local conditions, unlike the ocean.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the polyps will grow back in the skeleton, but the ones that bailed may attach to substrate and begin a new colony. This is the purpose of the bailout; local conditions deemed not suitable for survival, let's try elsewhere.
Problem is your tank is all local conditions, unlike the ocean.
I don’t think high magnesium will cause bailout. I have very high Mg levels and my torches don’t bail. I also agree that they bail to find a better spot they like however typically they bail due to chemistry and the chemistry in one spot of your tank is likely to be the same as another. Dosing magnesium when Mg is low will help stabilizer alkalinity. It’s not so much they need magnesium but rather magnesium stabilizes alk. Alk swings will definitely cause bailout and I’ve done that to myself a number of times!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back