Issues with Anemones

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have been recently having issues with my GBTA, I have had it for coming up on a year and a half and it had been shrinking up recently for the past month. I had an issue with an alk spike recently, but it is back under control. I recently got a rock flower anemone and it is behaving the exact same way (closed up with puffy mouth). Besides the alk spike the only changes I made was fritz salt, which I switched to from Red Sea in October 4th, however I switched back as the tank responded poorly to it two water changes later (two weeks) . All other coral and inhabitants look great except these two. Also if it has any significance my clam hasn’t been opening up as much recently. Tank is coming up on two and a half years old.
Salinity: 1.025
Alkalinity: 8.23
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1440
Nitrate: 15

IMG_1348.jpeg

Before
IMG_1854.jpeg
Past month ish
71942442299__F585E780-0839-4623-A3EB-9B04EE4BF8C8.jpeg

October 19th
IMG_1851.jpeg

Today

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone. I have been recently having issues with my GBTA, I have had it for coming up on a year and a half and it had been shrinking up recently for the past month. I had an issue with an alk spike recently, but it is back under control. I recently got a rock flower anemone and it is behaving the exact same way (closed up with puffy mouth). Besides the alk spike the only changes I made was fritz salt, which I switched to from Red Sea in October 4th, however I switched back as the tank responded poorly to it two water changes later (two weeks) . All other coral and inhabitants look great except these two. Also if it has any significance my clam hasn’t been opening up as much recently. Tank is coming up on two and a half years old.
Salinity: 1.025
Alkalinity: 8.23
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1440
Nitrate: 15

IMG_1348.jpeg

Before
IMG_1854.jpeg
Past month ish
71942442299__F585E780-0839-4623-A3EB-9B04EE4BF8C8.jpeg

October 19th
IMG_1851.jpeg

Today
While alk and other parameters such as low salinity, high temp and elevated phosphate can affect them, often it is a change in light and water flow.
When an anemone shrinks, its frequently due to too little light interrupting the creation of zooxanthellae which is their energy and color source. Too much flow and they hide as well as by too much light.
Starvation is another effect. Feed them 2-3X a week with chopped krill and some mysis

OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While alk and other parameters such as low salinity, high temp and elevated phosphate can affect them, often it is a change in light and water flow.
When an anemone shrinks, its frequently due to too little light interrupting the creation of zooxanthellae which is their energy and color source. Too much flow and they hide as well as by too much light.
Starvation is another effect. Feed them 2-3X a week with chopped krill and some mysis
I will note that I had a significant light change, about a year ago I switched to a radion g5, but it had been doing well for a better part of those 8 months. I did also change my flow recently, not the strength but just the powerheads location. Even then I wouldn't say that it is getting blown to pieces at all. The rock flower is in a place of lower flow, and it is still struggling. As for feeding, I can feed going forward, but I hadn't been feeding (maybe once a month max) and it was doing well for the first year and a half, even splitting once. Not quite sure where to go, I am close to throwing in the towel and giving them away.

OP
OP
D

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you're right! @dannyd_ That tank is amazing, you should sell them. I would definitely buy one!
Also thank you, very flattered. I need to update that thread, as many things have changed. I am actually not even currently using that setup, as it became difficult to transfer it around (had to bring it back during vacations from college). But I still have it, if you truly would like to buy it. I feel it would be difficult to compete with companies developing AIOs, but a dream of mine would be to somehow be involved in the saltwater aquarium industry and I wish this was a plausible way.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also thank you, very flattered. I need to update that thread, as many things have changed. I am actually not even currently using that setup, as it became difficult to transfer it around (had to bring it back during vacations from college). But I still have it, if you truly would like to buy it. I feel it would be difficult to compete with companies developing AIOs, but a dream of mine would be to somehow be involved in the saltwater aquarium industry and I wish this was a plausible way.
Wish you best of luck with that! Though curious, what setup are you running now?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back