It finally happened. Drilled hole goes wrong

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've drilled quite a few holes in tanks and counter-tops. And yesterday was the day if finally went wrong and I popped an inside the tank piece of glass out and the bulkhead doesn't cover it.

I'm currently going to increase the size of the hole from a 1 1/2" bulkhead to a 2" bulkhead in hopes it can be saved, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they fixed it.

I feel like using black silicone wouldn't be a good idea. We'll see after today if the larger hole allows for a good seal. Otherwise, it's a loss of a 150g starfire tank :\

1648572187687.png

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe build yourself a jig out of wood that you can clamp inplace while you drill a larger hole to take care of the chip. I think a larger bulkhead is the best solution.

I've never had issues starting without a jig, but maybe a jig would be better since in this case since there is already a loss of integrity.

It's my stupid fault and I know exactly what I did wrong (won't be doing THAT again). Hell, I'll go to a 2 1/2-3" bulkhead if I have to.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would redrill with larger, ease up on pressure when drilling and use more liquid on the hole saw. I've drilled 1000+ holes in glass in my life. Follow those simple rules and you'll be fine. Plus, if its the drain hole, all the more better its bigger, can't ever go wrong there. Good luck !!!

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind explaining your mistake I think it would be good to post, so others could avoid it?
Yes, what did you do wrong? Go to fast? No water, not enough water? Were you drinking? Do tell. We want to show sympathy and possibly laugh too. :)

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like already said, make a wood jig, have a constant flow of water, a good bit and go slower. You should be able to bump up the size no problem

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, what did you do wrong? Go to fast? No water, not enough water? Were you drinking? Do tell. We want to show sympathy and possibly laugh too. :)

Fair enough! No drinking. It wasn't the hole I screwed up on. I successfully got the hole drilled but found that it was a SMIDGE too small to fit the bulkhead.... which I was bummed because it was just barely to small

So I thought I could use the sides of the diamond hole saw to make it ever so bigger. Which was working, but I realized too late that I was actually drilling 1/2 into the glass at an angle and before I could do anything, POP, it just happened... probably because I was using too much pressure at that point trying to straight it out.

That being said, slow and steady is the way to go. I don't normally hose water in, but I use a constant spray mist to keep the bit cool and the glass sand out of the way. I normally use a slower drill speed too . . . but I don't think I should have tried to make it bigger the way I did.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've drilled quite a few holes in tanks and counter-tops. And yesterday was the day if finally went wrong and I popped an inside the tank piece of glass out and the bulkhead doesn't cover it.

I'm currently going to increase the size of the hole from a 1 1/2" bulkhead to a 2" bulkhead in hopes it can be saved, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they fixed it.

I feel like using black silicone wouldn't be a good idea. We'll see after today if the larger hole allows for a good seal. Otherwise, it's a loss of a 150g starfire tank :\

1648572187687.png
place tape on both sides and keep it very wet while drilling

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough! No drinking. It wasn't the hole I screwed up on. I successfully got the hole drilled but found that it was a SMIDGE too small to fit the bulkhead.... which I was bummed because it was just barely to small

So I thought I could use the sides of the diamond hole saw to make it ever so bigger. Which was working, but I realized too late that I was actually drilling 1/2 into the glass at an angle and before I could do anything, POP, it just happened... probably because I was using too much pressure at that point trying to straight it out.

That being said, slow and steady is the way to go. I don't normally hose water in, but I use a constant spray mist to keep the bit cool and the glass sand out of the way. I normally use a slower drill speed too . . . but I don't think I should have tried to make it bigger the way I did.
Thanks for sharing. I've done the finesse thing with other home projects to create much larger problems than what was there. I hope it works out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.2%
Back