It Has Begun... 465 Gallons of financial insanity ;)

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That moment you realize, you're gonna need a bigger tank! :oops:...

IMG-1130.JPG
IMG-1131.JPG
Always go bigger!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4FEFF015-40EE-46AF-BB87-FF2DB295FD3A.jpeg

Good news, the structural engineer signed off that I DO NOT need any additional floor reinforcement!!! Woohoo!!! More money for gadgets/fish/coral!!!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, SO, hit a snag (it was BOUND to happen). Long story short, the custom tank was cut to the wrong size due to a miscommunication ;Drowning

The good news is, ***CUSTOM TANK FOR SALE*** There is a beautiful 108x30x30 custom eurobraced tank by Crystal Reef Aquatics with full abs bottom and an external glass overflow being built that will be ready for delivery in the next 4-5 weeks. Please DM me if you're interested, I've posted progress pictures and the build diagram below:

IMG-1490.JPG
IMG-1489.JPG
IMG-1491.JPG

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, SO, hit a snag (it was BOUND to happen). Long story short, the custom tank was cut to the wrong size due to a miscommunication ;Drowning

The good news is, ***CUSTOM TANK FOR SALE*** There is a beautiful 108x30x30 custom eurobraced tank by Crystal Reef Aquatics with full abs bottom and an external glass overflow being built that will be ready for delivery in the next 4-5 weeks. Please DM me if you're interested, I've posted progress pictures and the build diagram below:

IMG-1490.JPG
IMG-1489.JPG
IMG-1491.JPG
Did they make it 30" wide instead of 36"? Saw the original post you wanted 108"x36"x30 dimensions

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this came up before I had my build done, I may have made the mistake of entertaining the idea of something this big if the price was right!

Gonna be an awesome build. will follow

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, it's been awhile since posting last, but we are still full steam ahead on the build after needing a "re-do" in September. ETA next 4-6 weeks WOOHOO!!!

So, without further ado... here is my stocking list. Take a gander, let me know what you think and feel free to point out anything that I may have missed (nicely please).

Drumroll.......................

Phase 1 Peaceful & Friendly (6mos post-cycling)

Forktail Blenny (Meiacanthus atrodorsalis)
Lawnmower Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)
Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus)
White Storm Clownfish Pair (Amphiprion ocellaris variant)
Blue Caribbean Chromis School (Chromis cyanea)
Spotted Drum (Equetus punctatus)
Neon Cleaner Goby Gang (Elactinus oceanops)
Longnose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)
Yellowhead Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifons)
Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

Phase 2 Ornery and/or Needing Pods (8-9mos post-cycling)

Lemonpeel Angel (Centropyge flavissimus)
Potter's Angel (Centropyge potteri)
Watanabei Angel Pair (Genicanthus watanabei)
Mitratus Butterfly (Chaetodon mitratus)
Ruby Red Dragonet (Synchiropus sycorax)
Bella Goby Pair (Valenciennea bella)
Peppermint Candy Cane Hogfish (Bodianus sepiacauda)
Candy Cane Femininus Wrasse (Anampses femininus)
Fairy Lineatus Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lineatus)
Golden Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis)
Laboute's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus laboutei)

Phase 3 The Aggros and Psychotics for Last

Queen Angel (Holacanthus ciliaris)
Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles)
Bristletooth White Tail Tang (Ctenochaetus flauvicauda)
Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)
Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)

So, whadda ya think about that stocking plan?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay,

So, after overcoming a major bump in the road with my custom build and the builder going out of business, I am moving forward with a tank from Miracles. Currently working with Derek to nail down some of the specifics but settled on a 120x36x30 (so... bigger, yay!). Haven't finalized yet, but working through everything slowly because in the middle of all the madness of the holidays and my tank builder going out of business, I found out that I'm MOVING!

And not just down the street or across town or even the state, but all the way to.... Florida. Soooo, leaving beautiful, sunny SD is going to be rough, but I'm sure we'll make it work. And also, in a weird way, everything that happened so far kinda saved me from having to lug a big crated tank for 2,500+ miles.

Anywho, I wanted to start fleshing out some things to make sure that I can spec this tank out right, and would appreciate your opinions. This tank will either be a peninsula or standard layout (can't pull trigger until new house closes just in case), utilizing the Triton/Balling method.

The first thing I went back to the drawing board with this build is FLOW. I want to make sure I spec out the correct number/size bulkheads etc so that I'm not restricted down the road.

Whether it's a peninsula or standard layout, I think flow is going to be one of my biggest challenges due to the fact that this tank will be 10 feet long. I've read a lot of reefers in this size class use a closed loop and tunze waveboxes. I've always been a fan of "tried-and-true" vs "new-and-flashy", but it seems like reefers are all over the map on this one. I did see a post where the reefer had put the wavebox inside the overflow, which is an idea that I really like and will totally steal if I go that direction since it hides the equipment (I don't remember what post it was since I forgot to save, so if you're out there, drop me a line, I have questions! :cool:). Still super-nervous about having holes drilled in the bottle panel of the tank from a leaking-risk averse perspective.

The other option seems to be a combo of powerheads and gyres. I like that the MP60s can be put on a battery backup, but I feel like if I go with the peninsula route, they won't have enough juice. I looked at Panta Rheis (btw, that name seemed weird to me so I looked it up. Did you know that name is a phrase from ancient Greek meaning "everything flows", cool huh? Thanks Wikipedia!), and while the price is def eye-watering, seems like it's the only thing that has the horsepower to push flow that far.

The second part of flow I wanted help with was the pump returns from the sump. According to Triton, they recommend 10x turnover in the sump. However, I've read a lot of experience reefers say 2-3x turnover is better. Either way, what's the best way to plumb your returns? Dual returns? Single returns? What's the simplest way?

Alright, sorry for the long read. Please let me know what you think and we can get a conversation going! I appreciate it.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I love this build! Fellow peninsula guy in Tampa Bay here, though a fair bit smaller than yours.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back