It is absolutely beautiful, its skirt tips glow.Ive been nurturing this nem for a couple of years now... still havent confirmed species.

RodsRockFlowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200515_002453.jpg
received_678127326364008.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Rock Flower Anemone to me. BTW Rod, I love them. I have 30+ in a breeding tank and 5 more in my display tank. And I get to see them every time I go snorkeling in the Florida Keys!

I'm guessing the oral disk doesn't fluoresce under blue lights, right?
If that's the case then this in one of those less common middle depth RFAs.

Shallow water (2 to 8 feet) ones hardly fluoresce except for some green tentacles and they rarely have any color in the oral disk other than black, white and brown.

Deep water (25 to 40 feet) ones usually have lots of color and most of them fluoresce a lot, both tentacles and oral disks. And many have disks that are more than one color, some may even have 3 to 5 colors.

Not too many appear in the hobby that come from in between depths (10 to 20 feet). These may fluoresce a bit, and are also far more likely to have oral disks that display a color (seems a flat red or flat green are the most common). But the disk colors rarely fluoresce and they are commonly just one color.

BTW, @RodsRockFlowers, welcome to Reef2Reef.
Welcome (2).jpg

You may want to read over this thread as it has a lot of good RFA info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-rock-flower-experience.409436/

OP
OP
R

RodsRockFlowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Rock Flower Anemone to me. BTW Rod, I love them. I have 30+ in a breeding tank and 5 more in my display tank. And I get to see them every time I go snorkeling in the Florida Keys!

I'm guessing the oral disk doesn't fluoresce under blue lights, right?
If that's the case then this in one of those less common middle depth RFAs.

Shallow water (2 to 8 feet) ones hardly fluoresce except for some green tentacles and they rarely have any color in the oral disk other than black, white and brown.

Deep water (25 to 40 feet) ones usually have lots of color and most of them fluoresce a lot, both tentacles and oral disks. And many have disks that are more than one color, some may even have 3 to 5 colors.

Not too many appear in the hobby that come from in between depths (10 to 20 feet). These may fluoresce a bit, and are also far more likely to have oral disks that display a color (seems a flat red or flat green are the most common). But the disk colors rarely fluoresce and they are commonly just one color.

BTW, @RodsRockFlowers, welcome to Reef2Reef.
Welcome (2).jpg

You may want to read over this thread as it has a lot of good RFA info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-rock-flower-experience.409436/
It certainly does fluoresce a bright blood red, I wish I owned a polyp lens right about now . I've been having success with reproduction of my flower nems. Interestingly they dont seem to tolerate this one. They sting/irritate it if I let them get close. I wont argue against the fact that it is structured like a common rock nem but the flashlight tips and bizarre color mutation and difference in tentacle shapes leads me to question. I have videos I could share side by side and you can see the overall shape is a little different.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm....

You may be right, but I don't know of any anemones that look that close to a RFA. There may very well be such a nem. I'm not an expert.

Not nearly as colorful as a Rainbow Bottom anemone and they have long, thick necks, almost as wide as the face of the nem and long tentacles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RodsRockFlowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few that look just like that. Aqua SD sold them as “Special Collection” RFA’s.
Thank you this is the first time I'm finding images of these! This is indeed it,why arent they more sought after??? They're like incredible! If a rock flower and an angler fish had a baby, this is what itd look like.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back