It was this big... Now its this big...

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
28065088-f9c2-48d5-8e57-3ac8eebe8c73_text.gif

tcarstens4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mean to crash the party, super exciting for you to get your tank- I get my 200 in two days and does anyone have any tips for dealing with this stupid algae? I tried blacking out my tanks for a few days and it only came right on back should I bite the bullet and add UV? Carbon or GFO? Or would a protein skimmer help? This is in both of my tanks
image.jpg
image.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mean to crash the party, super exciting for you to get your tank- I get my 200 in two days and does anyone have any tips for dealing with this stupid algae? I tried blacking out my tanks for a few days and it only came right on back should I bite the bullet and add UV? Carbon or GFO? Or would a protein skimmer help? This is in both of my tanks
image.jpg
image.jpg
Identifying what type of algae you are dealing with, is the first step to knowing what you need to do for it. Take some white light pics and some may be able to help.

You may need a microscope to id.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll take a sample to my LFS tomorrow and get my water tested- can’t afford all the testing kits and such quite yet, the coral is doing alright for now
You'll want to prioritize the big three, especially with a tank addition coming soon. Alk, phos, and Nitrates. Even salifert or red Sea will do. Stay away from api.

Have you added a bunch of dry rock or sand recently that could be leaching silicates and feeding diatoms?

That looks like dinos with a D to me, which if that's the case, you'll really want a magnified photo of to get a specific ID and treatment course.

Do you have UV to add? That won't hurt anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back