It's about time I Post the FrankenCube

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Lucy" is all blue with no yellow on her belly. So you never know with Petco, They do get them from a big supplier here in LA. Everyone I have seen at Petco here has HELLE, they do run carbon in their systems, and I am sure it is not the best. I have convinced one manager at one not to run carbon in tanks with tangs.
Unfortunately the pictures do not show the extent of the caves and hides, But everybody has their place or niche. It's funny I have a crack/ fissure that Lucy hides in, but she is bigger now so her tail sticks out. But she still thinks she is being covert.
She must suck at hide-and-go-seek :). My first guess would have been a Yellowtail damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema), but I can't say for sure without pictures.
Thanks for your opinion on the shore crab, I was joking on it taking a Uber to my house. In all seriousness it shouldn’t be in there.
Thanks! I was referring to the crab possibly hitchhiking off native CA macroalgae (as you mentioned on your other thread), but who knows what really happened...
1669704048952.png

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She must suck at hide-and-go-seek :). My first guess would have been a Yellowtail damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema), but I can't say for sure without pictures.

Thanks! I was referring to the crab possibly hitchhiking off native CA macroalgae (as you mentioned on your other thread), but who knows what really happened...
1669704048952.png
She actually is in the pictures early on in this thread, Just hate getting the police involved.

I think I am going to write a book called "Riding the Kelp Train, The Oceans Secret Nursery"
Just thinking about all the stuff that has come in on kelp, Urchins, limpets, Anemones, Norris top Snails, A Bat Star, Tube worms, Turbin snails, Brittle Stars, copepods, the list goes on, and now possibly a shore crab. Pretty much every thing I have in my temperate tanks came in off of Macro Algae’s . It's crazy and wonderful at the same time!

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was playing around today and took some close up photos of some highlights.
Some are the IPhone with and without a filter, and the same with the handheld WiFi microscope.
54DE62B6-9AD7-43D2-915D-BA1A36192EC9.jpeg
F1C2FB38-47BE-4B12-BB77-F8F53F4BAE46.jpeg
A2AFD2D1-FED7-42D1-9A24-23A7F07D5F38.jpeg
EB67FE86-AA59-4C2B-8F4C-880A02237399.jpeg
63B04F9C-F3D7-433B-AF9D-C69B1A0008D9.jpeg
B2EDEE0B-FF07-40F4-B2AC-6E6A4D924520.jpeg
5824AAA2-013E-48D9-85A6-9E41A883C1E0.jpeg
E1689E85-027A-401F-ADDF-9E0968CFC09B.jpeg
E63B3F73-10DF-4A46-BCA6-28ACC60C13AF.jpeg
These pictures are unreal! What kind of wifi enabled microscope did you use?

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pictures are unreal! What kind of wifi enabled microscope did you use?
It is the, used to be $20 one on Amazon. Now I think they are a little more. I wanted to get a slightly better one since I wore out the focus on this one, but they are all the same. This one is a “Max-See” I think.
2023-07-13-17-34-02-742.jpeg
2023-07-13-17-30-12-042.jpeg

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit of an update, it has been awhile. I have decided to transfer most of my softies and LPS to my IM30g long. It's to the point in a relatively small tank trying to make everyone happy is a bit of a pain. Plus there was a couple torches taking up valuable SPS space. So that was todays project. I also planted a few corals that I got from RAP. I was slightly upset that the corals I got were obviously NOT from the vendor that was selling them. When I buy from a certain vendor I am buying their water parameters, their lighting parameters etc. that the corals were raised in. But apparently it is a common practice for this vendor and the price was right.
I am still fighting low nutrients, I wish they were more stable and me not being more concerned about Phosphate and Nitrates more that calcium and alkalinity. It seems that this is a common factor with all four of my tanks and not just this one. This one is the most severe though.
I added a chiller temporarily for the summer. I did add a manifold to this tank with a gate valves so hooking up the chiller was a 10 min job. I am getting down the benefits and the limitations of the APEX, which I am glad I had during my vacation to Chicago and the ATO sensor went down, and I was able to manually top up from 2000 miles away.
Sorry about the photos, I couldn’t find my filter so the color is a bit weird, especially in the sand part. the sand is white it looks a bit like diatoms/cyano in the pic.
IMG_1157.jpeg
IMG_1158.jpeg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xmas morning update! It’s getting crowded in here… I need to finish my frag tank.
IMG_1547.jpeg
IMG_1549.jpeg

I also went with a NOS gen 4 and a set of blade grows…

IMG_1493.jpeg
Beautiful tank! Is that a long tentacle anemone in the back corner? Has it mostly played nice with fish and coral in your tank and stayed in place? I have always wanted one, but their growth rate and mixed reviews of fish safeness have kept me away

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Is that a long tentacle anemone in the back corner? Has it mostly played nice with fish and coral in your tank and stayed in place? I have always wanted one, but their growth rate and mixed reviews of fish safeness have kept me away
When I got that Nem is was the size of a golfball and bleached white. (Petco) It was in a 10g and it was having some warfare with some BTA's so I put it in there and I bought the tiniest little Maroon who would feed it because it mouth was too small for pellets. The LTA is about the size of a large dinner plate midday. I have had to keep sliding up the MP10. Initially I made a little rock planter for it and I think it feels safe in the corner and a tall rock. It hasn’t moved since I put it in. I think it has been a couple years now. My orange setosa has created a little shelf where the Nem tickles the bottom but that is all so far. I think it works because it gets light, flow, protection and my Maroon keeps it clean and stimulated. I think once nems find there place they don’t like to move because they are vulnerable. So as long as there are no major changes you should be good.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got that Nem is was the size of a golfball and bleached white. (Petco) It was in a 10g and it was having some warfare with some BTA's so I put it in there and I bought the tiniest little Maroon who would feed it because it mouth was too small for pellets. The LTA is about the size of a large dinner plate midday. I have had to keep sliding up the MP10. Initially I made a little rock planter for it and I think it feels safe in the corner and a tall rock. It hasn’t moved since I put it in. I think it has been a couple years now. My orange setosa has created a little shelf where the Nem tickles the bottom but that is all so far. I think it works because it gets light, flow, protection and my Maroon keeps it clean and stimulated. I think once nems find there place they don’t like to move because they are vulnerable. So as long as there are no major changes you should be good.
Thanks! I think this may put me over into getting the purple one of my dreams once I see it again at petco haha

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just playing with a couple close up tank shots today until my battery died on my Wifi microscope. Shot with an orange filter.
My PO4 is about .1, Nitrates are around 12. Great polyp extension, things are going good, just waiting for the other foot to drop... LOL
Garf and purple Stylo
FullSizeRender.jpeg
2024-01-06-10-03-47-314.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back