It's becoming an obsession!

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reflecting this morning and thought I would take stock of what corals I have in my Reefer 170. I have built these up over the last 5 months - I go to my LFS for something small and 'without realising it', more often that not, walk out having spent a lot more than I originally planned. What's even more strange is I then have to tell the wife why food and/or RO water costs so much!? - but I don't learn from the experience and continue to do it! Is there something wrong with me? ;-)

My LPS: Duncans, Elegance, Alveopora, Hammer, Acan, Blastomussa and Laptastrea
My SPS: Montipora, Seriatopora, Stylophora
Softies: Toadstools, Xenia, Finger Leathers, Mushrooms, Zoas, Cabbage Coral, GSP
Other: a number of Rock Anemones

All is going great - everything is growing and looking healthy and colourful. I appreciate I'm going to have to manage the space by fragging etc at some points in the future. I keep my Xenia trimmed already.

However, for Father's day, I've asked for more corals - this is becoming an obsession! I have two LFS and two online providers that I get stock from and there's always so many lovely things on offer. I have read people saying you start small and then progress bigger - there's no chance of that in my case. I've set my tank up just as I want and find it very manageable so can spend more time watching it rather than working on it.

When I feel I have enough I will stop - I've had the same fish for the last 9 months which is a new experience for me. I was regular changing things around when I kept malawis but this just feels like I'm building a reef. Loving it!!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reflecting this morning and thought I would take stock of what corals I have in my Reefer 170. I have built these up over the last 5 months - I go to my LFS for something small and 'without realising it', more often that not, walk out having spent a lot more than I originally planned. What's even more strange is I then have to tell the wife why food and/or RO water costs so much!? - but I don't learn from the experience and continue to do it! Is there something wrong with me? ;-)

My LPS: Duncans, Elegance, Alveopora, Hammer, Acan, Blastomussa and Laptastrea
My SPS: Montipora, Seriatopora, Stylophora
Softies: Toadstools, Xenia, Finger Leathers, Mushrooms, Zoas, Cabbage Coral, GSP
Other: a number of Rock Anemones

All is going great - everything is growing and looking healthy and colourful. I appreciate I'm going to have to manage the space by fragging etc at some points in the future. I keep my Xenia trimmed already.

However, for Father's day, I've asked for more corals - this is becoming an obsession! I have two LFS and two online providers that I get stock from and there's always so many lovely things on offer. I have read people saying you start small and then progress bigger - there's no chance of that in my case. I've set my tank up just as I want and find it very manageable so can spend more time watching it rather than working on it.

When I feel I have enough I will stop - I've had the same fish for the last 9 months which is a new experience for me. I was regular changing things around when I kept malawis but this just feels like I'm building a reef. Loving it!!
Wish there was a LFS here that I could go look at corals and possibly buy....not much available in Northern Ontario Canada, other than online ordering

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get it! I’m on coral probation now in my 4th month of an 8 month sentence. I even had to sign a contract with my wife.
Don’t get me wrong. This was much my idea as hers. Things just got out of hand With my spending and just adding too much too quick.
I Will say that all of my corals are doing much better now and the tank looks great.
There are definite quantifiable advantages to going slow!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha... welcome to the couch sleeping club. I’m not allow to go to an LFS by myself anymore. Last weekend I walked out of our favorite LFS spending $500 o_O;). You can imagine where that conversation went with all the floating bags
Lol.
I recommend dropping this thread to your family next Father’s Day... :)

giphy.gif

@Battlecorals

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set the tank up and matured it over 6 weeks, added inverts first and didn't add fish for a further month. Didn't add corals until fish had been established 8 weeks. Most corals have been small tbh - my Duncan's has two heads and now has six, my toadstools were two heads and now has 8. The biggest I bought was probably my elegance (albeit in the shop it wasn't displaying too big). I hope I'm doing the right things - I've not lost any stock to date but know I can't get complacent.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha... welcome to the couch sleeping club. I’m not allow to go to an LFS by myself anymore. Last weekend I walked out of our favorite LFS spending $500 o_O;). You can imagine where that conversation went with all the floating bags
Lol.
I recommend dropping this thread to your family next Father’s Day... :)

giphy.gif

@Battlecorals
$500 - wow. Not sure how I would get that past my wife in one go! Prior to setting the tank up I had some building work done and there was a gap of 6 months between my Malawi and my completely new marine set up. The tank was a 'given' but I bought a piece of equipment a month and smuggled it in!

I like that quote that says "my biggest fear, if I die, is my wife will sell my equipment for what I told her it cost!"

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$500 - wow. Not sure how I would get that past my wife in one go! Prior to setting the tank up I had some building work done and there was a gap of 6 months between my Malawi and my completely new marine set up. The tank was a 'given' but I bought a piece of equipment a month and smuggled it in!

I like that quote that says "my biggest fear, if I die, is my wife will sell my equipment for what I told her it cost!"
Lol I'm making it sounds worse than it is, we have separate bank accounts. You're in a good place to find equipment as well. Have you purchased anything on this forum? I've gotten some really good deals on here.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I'm making it sounds worse than it is, we have separate bank accounts. You're in a good place to find equipment as well. Have you purchased anything on this forum? I've gotten some really good deals on here.
I’ve had a brief look on here but as I’m UK based it’s not ideal for buying.

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how much my little Reefer 170 has cost to set up - I look at the bigger tanks on here with a degree of jealousy and wonder!

I've shied away from buying second hand as I've heard too many 'war stories'. I have sold quite a bit over the years but know how well I look after things - I would buy from someone I know but clubs/meetings locally seem to be at a premium. Not sure we Brits are into the 'club meet' mind set.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back