It's everywhere !!

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Looking for recommendations for the big guns.

I've been dosing some vibrant against my better judgement with zero luck. I need to get control of this.

I manually remove every couple days but it's bad.

PXL_20210215_023748902.jpg PXL_20210215_023745935.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, keep pulling/toothbrushing off, removing rocks if you can for more thorough cleaning; check nitrate and phosphate ( assume they need to be lowered); consider a blackout for a few days and reducing lighting (corals shouldn't be adversely affected); and add to cuc.

If this strategy doesn't work, I would dip rocks and corals in h202, bleach tank and all equipment and start over.

Good luck

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, keep pulling/toothbrushing off, removing rocks if you can for more thorough cleaning; check nitrate and phosphate ( assume they need to be lowered); consider a blackout for a few days and reducing lighting (corals shouldn't be adversely affected); and add to cuc.

If this strategy doesn't work, I would dip rocks and corals in h202, bleach tank and all equipment and start over.

Good luck
What type of clean up crew is recommended for that?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what Reef Cleaners recommends for GHA: Clean Up Crew: Assorted Hermits, Blue Legs, Florida Ceriths, Chitons, Turbograzers, Sea Hares, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few others. It is readily accepted by many herbivores, but because it grows quickly it may persist even in a tank with a fair amount of cleaners.

Personally, I've had good luck with margarita and turbo snails as well as tuxedo urchins; be aware that turbos and urchins will bulldoze loose rocks and coral frags.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what Reef Cleaners recommends for GHA: Clean Up Crew: Assorted Hermits, Blue Legs, Florida Ceriths, Chitons, Turbograzers, Sea Hares, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few others. It is readily accepted by many herbivores, but because it grows quickly it may persist even in a tank with a fair amount of cleaners.

Personally, I've had good luck with margarita and turbo snails as well as tuxedo urchins; be aware that turbos and urchins will bulldoze loose rocks and coral frags.
I have loads of crabs and Mexican turbos.. I've added an emerald but now looking at urchins

CorallineKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So vibrant is a great product if used correctly. But isnt going to take that hair algae out over night. Also i air on the side of caution to critters in your tank when using vibrant. Ive personally seen ph drop way down and lost brittle stars right after. Such a horrible sight! Always under dose and see how everyone in the tank reacts before slamming the tank with any product. Slow introduction is your best and safest approach to reefing as a whole! If I had to guess id say your phosphates might be on the high side. Generally algae doesn't get that way over night. It takes a while to get there. First thing is first.... Whats your setup? Lighting used and lighting schedule, what kind of inhabitants reside there? Hos long has the tank been up and going? Gear used? And water parameters?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My first recommendation, if you have not done so is to test your tank. You may have some high #’s contributing to the outbreak.

CorallineKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck
U dont need to bleach the tank and start all over!!! Dont do that! It takes a while to get that kind of Coralline build up!. I agree with dipping in h202 but make sure to use only 3%!!!! And some sps. Do not like h202 at all!

CorallineKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Read back to the post where i asked about your setup, cuz water changes can actually fuel algae by replacing new nutrients with salt. Is it instant ocean reef crystals?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used FluxRx with success. But other reefers have had issues. I always try to fix naturally first, but the Flux did not kill anything in my tank

CorallineKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of salts are made with a balance of foundational nutrients and trace elements which in turn just feed the issue

CorallineKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i had to bet money i bet the phos / nitrate levels are on the high side. Id run some gfo in a bag or reactor (introduce slowly and not too much for a few days to get phos levels in check and get some micro bacter7 and if you can introduce some bio-pellets in a reactor

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i had to bet money i bet the phos / nitrate levels are on the high side. Id run some gfo in a bag or reactor (introduce slowly and not too much for a few days to get phos levels in check and get some micro bacter7 and if you can introduce some bio-pellets in a reactor
Nitrate is 25 and phosphate is .03 to .1

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used fluconazole to beat back hair algae in 8/9 tanks so far. I’ve found that sometimes it take four or five weeks instead of the suggested two weeks for the algae to start disintegrating. Continue to manually remove it during this process and be sure to re-dose proportional to any water changes during this time.

disclaimer: I haven’t run it in any predominately SPS tanks, mostly mixed reefs with lots of LPS and softies

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back