OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling! I just started back up after 10 years out! It’s crazy how much you
may forget at first, but it’ll come back! I think this time around I’m much more mature about it and trying to take things slowly, and better applying things that I remember worked for me, as well as lessons learned from my previous errors. Good luck and welcome back!!
I can see how my mentality has shifted already these few short years already.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'm camera shy because this take over hasn't been pretty, it looks like a bomb went off. Lots of maintenance to do and cleaning to be done. I've been focusing on getting everything stable and getting the equipment proper. That being said here's my set up (some I've pulled out of the attic):
80g deep blue rimless
50g sump refugium
2 gen 1 radions 30xr
Icecap gyre 1k
Random cheap powerheads
Bubble magus c5.5 skimmer
Vectra m2 return pump
Micmol planted led fuge light
Big chunk of dragon's breathe
Big chunk of chaeto
120 + live rock
Large toadstool
Large rasta zoa colony
TSA firework cloves
Half dead acan
Rose bubble tip and his clown friend
6 stage rodi
Two other corals I can't remember the names of but larger colony's
NOT INSTALLED:
Phosban reactor
5 lbs rox .08
5 lbs gfo
Auto pump
Hydor ATO (going in tomorrow)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I just put the algae in the sump and turned on the lights today and I think I've got everything a bacterial bloom or phyto bloom won't know until the morning. My next task is getting more flow inside of the tank and I'm considering either a icecap 3k or another 1k on the opposite side. Don't know what I should do there. I'm going to add another baffle to my sump once I figure out how I'm going to get it dry enough to work on. That'll be 3 chamber. After that I'm at a loss as to to what i should tackle next but my goal is obviously always stability. Any opinions or advice is welcome! Ok heres where I'm at week 2.5 (Coral and clown was already in tank when it was passed to me)

IMG_20190630_210723_01.jpeg
20190707_212606.jpeg
Looks like it’s coming along nicely. You’re right, stability is the main thing you want. I think we tinker too much in this hobby and are always chasing parameters. Some of my biggest mistakes were playing with parameters and now I just let them be. I have higher nitrates than most and not enough PO4. But I just kind of let them be.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s coming along nicely. You’re right, stability is the main thing you want. I think we tinker too much in this hobby and are always chasing parameters. Some of my biggest mistakes were playing with parameters and now I just let them be. I have higher nitrates than most and not enough PO4. But I just kind of let them be.
My biggest problem. I have horrible diagnosed ADD. Can't stop DOING something!!!! Working on it though.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest problem. I have horrible diagnosed ADD. Can't stop DOING something!!!! Working on it though.
My tank keeps me plenty of busy. And that’s just normal maintenance, testing, feeding, cleaning and SHOPPING!!!;Dead Thankfully I have R2R in the downtime.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not that bad! Good snag actually! Maybe lose some of that rock? And what is going on with all that plumbing? That is a whole lot of PVC! I think this kinda looks like fun!
I didn't have any flex tube and somehow during transportation it got lost. I did however have 30' of 3/4 sch. 40 and any connections you could imagine.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Did the tank come with a box full of $50-bills as well :)

Tank rescues should.. lol. Looks like you've got it well in hand. I finally got my cords zip tied and out of sight and I feel a lot better about everything ;Couchpotato

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Did the tank come with a box full of $50-bills as well :)

Tank rescues should.. lol. Looks like you've got it well in hand. I finally got my cords zip tied and out of sight and I feel a lot better about everything ;Couchpotato
I am struggling hard with cord maintenance tbh. Always have but once I do it I'm totally good. It's the finality of it i think.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Glad you joined us !!

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'm camera shy because this take over hasn't been pretty, it looks like a bomb went off. Lots of maintenance to do and cleaning to be done. I've been focusing on getting everything stable and getting the equipment proper. That being said here's my set up (some I've pulled out of the attic):
80g deep blue rimless
50g sump refugium
2 gen 1 radions 30xr
Icecap gyre 1k
Random cheap powerheads
Bubble magus c5.5 skimmer
Vectra m2 return pump
Micmol planted led fuge light
Big chunk of dragon's breathe
Big chunk of chaeto
120 + live rock
Large toadstool
Large rasta zoa colony
TSA firework cloves
Half dead acan
Rose bubble tip and his clown friend
6 stage rodi
Two other corals I can't remember the names of but larger colony's
NOT INSTALLED:
Phosban reactor
5 lbs rox .08
5 lbs gfo
Auto pump
Hydor ATO (going in tomorrow)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I just put the algae in the sump and turned on the lights today and I think I've got everything a bacterial bloom or phyto bloom won't know until the morning. My next task is getting more flow inside of the tank and I'm considering either a icecap 3k or another 1k on the opposite side. Don't know what I should do there. I'm going to add another baffle to my sump once I figure out how I'm going to get it dry enough to work on. That'll be 3 chamber. After that I'm at a loss as to to what i should tackle next but my goal is obviously always stability. Any opinions or advice is welcome! Ok heres where I'm at week 2.5 (Coral and clown was already in tank when it was passed to me)

IMG_20190630_210723_01.jpeg
20190707_212606.jpeg
Can you please post a pic of your firework corals?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back