IT'S HERE THE ULTIMATE BATTLECORALS NAME GAME!! (IT'S AN ACTUAL GAME WITH ACTUAL PRIZES I SWEAR)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you guys think? Anyone out there prefer shopping or browsing in "no glizt" over the classic version?
I complain about how ridiculous coral naming has become, but I still prefer the classic version. Its easier being able to say a hobby name for a coral that most people would know what it looks like. Ecspecially when it's a coral that everyone knows what it is like a Bonfire or Aquaticman, etc.

I guess for me I consider the ridiculous hobby names a necessary evil.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’d prefer the no glitz once we have all of the species named (haven’t looked recently). But I understand what @Gtinnel is saying.

Maybe, just thinking out loud here, instead of a separate no glitz page, maybe list the species in italics under the Hobby Name? I think it may be helpful to see both at the same time? Idk. Just thinking out loud

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. Aculeus
1637558765494.png

1637559240422.png

A. Microclados
1637559141595.png

A. Kimbeensis
1637559356177.png

I also think this one (the one below) on the site, labeled as a Granulosa, is misidentified and should be A. Kimbeensis as well. All of the Granulosa's I see are less dense with the bumps/heads; the ones that are there are longer, not close to the stalk/stem. All of the Kimbeensis I see have these close to the stalk flatish heads. But honestly, with ~300 species of Acropora it's difficult for any of us to correctly identify anything.
1637560143376.png

A. Multiacuta
1637559849051.png

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a dream about this thread last night, which prompted me to check on it, lol. But I guess you haven't responded yet >.<
Shoot. sorry for the lag. been a super busy week but Thanks a lot for the post. All good stabs for sure but I'd love to get some others' feedback as well. It really is just so tricky

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot. sorry for the lag. been a super busy week but Thanks a lot for the post. All good stabs for sure but I'd love to get some others' feedback as well. It really is just so tricky
Haha, it's cool, Black Friday week, Cyber Monday, I totally get it. In about 2 weeks I'm going to sit down and start reading some coral identification academic papers and see if I can learn more. I think in order to get an exact match a DNA, XRay, or skeletal test would probably still have to be administered, but I'm going to try and see what's said about visual identification.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to sit down and start reading some coral identification academic papers and see if I can learn more.
I tried that as well and it didn't work for me. It just led to me deciding to drink. You seem to have a much better understanding of acropora species than I will ever have, so good luck...whiskey helps.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that as well and it didn't work for me. It just led to me deciding to drink. You seem to have a much better understanding of acropora species than I will ever have, so good luck...whiskey helps.
I'm currently a full-time student at UMKC studying History and Geology as well as Geographic Information Systems, reading academic papers is sort of a full-time job for me, so hopefully, I will have better luck... But my eyes really do start to glaze over after a page or two at most, sometimes the abstract gets me... lol

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks a lot for all the input so far! I will confess I have not awarded a single prize yet for positive id's but don't let that stop you from guessing. I know there are a few people that I probably owe, for at least a few. I'll go back over what we have so far and contact people accordingly.

As well, as these are confirmed ill label them properly on the site as well.

Keep up the good works guys.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Haha, it's cool, Black Friday week, Cyber Monday, I totally get it. In about 2 weeks I'm going to sit down and start reading some coral identification academic papers and see if I can learn more. I think in order to get an exact match a DNA, XRay, or skeletal test would probably still have to be administered, but I'm going to try and see what's said about visual identification.

Ok now this is the kind of effort we need here! I'll have to dig out and dust off my old x-ray machine!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for nothing, but I gave up helping because no one seems interested in this. You must keep it bumped and promote engagement if you also want consensus. It's a fantastic idea, and I'd love to help out, but if I sit here and work to identify 30-40 species, and no one ever agrees or disagrees because there aren't any other players, then it's like I did a bunch of work for nothing...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back