It's just a tank

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to inflict chaos.
Pretty convinced this is a leng sy monti. In high par, it was forming spikes. I'll get better pics with the sony later.

A nice gift for @fishguy242
20220519_094218.jpg
Very nice indeed but everything looks nice in your tank!

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice indeed but everything looks nice in your tank!
Not really. Still have a lot of work to do. It's unsightly to me. You'd think I'd draw a diagram. Rocks dont behave like that without rods, puddy, and some drilling.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. Still have a lot of work to do. It's unsightly to me. You'd think I'd draw a diagram. Rocks dont behave like that without rods, puddy, and some drilling.
Drawing out what I'm envisioning (not quite a diagram) is exactly what I do when messing with my scape.

I had the end result drawn on the front glass in sharpie as well as start/stop marks before I even shut the flow off in my recent scape update.

Rock doesn't want to make abstract shapes, But if you are meticulous about using rock, how it fits together. Best, You can make it do a lot of crazy things with just gravity

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Drawing out what I'm envisioning (not quite a diagram) is exactly what I do when messing with my scape.

I had the end result drawn on the front glass in sharpie as well as start/stop marks before I even shut the flow off in my recent scape update.

Rock doesn't want to make abstract shapes, But if you are meticulous about using rock, how it fits together. Best, You can make it do a lot of crazy things with just gravity
Sometimes a pile of rocks can look nice.

Most of the time, aquascape is a giant puzzle to manipulate. It really never gets boring.

One if the reasons I dont like to drill scape. I love to move things around. Bad quality if you ask me

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes a pile of rocks can look nice.

Most of the time, aquascape is a giant puzzle to manipulate. It really never gets boring.

One if the reasons I dont like to drill scape. I love to move things around. Bad quality if you ask me
Drilling and pinning rock can really be done in a way that you can move it later.

1/4" masonry bit in an impact driver makes a small hole, follow behind with 1/4" acrylic rod cut to length inserted into both sides and cut to length. It does not need to be glued or cemented. When you want to change it just pull them apart and you will never notice the hole.

This is how I had to attach a few of my rocks that are in more precarious overhangs.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes plenty of sense. I worry about the rods breaking, but... I assume it would need a bit of force to snap.
The sheer strength of quarter inch acrylic rod, is probably higher than joint compound, underwater epoxy, and CA glue. I just tried to snap a 4" piece. I could not.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling and pinning rock can really be done in a way that you can move it later.

1/4" masonry bit in an impact driver makes a small hole, follow behind with 1/4" acrylic rod cut to length inserted into both sides and cut to length. It does not need to be glued or cemented. When you want to change it just pull them apart and you will never notice the hole.

This is how I had to attach a few of my rocks that are in more precarious overhangs.
This how I got my center piece to stand upright. Acrylic rod going through a few chunks of rubble

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only issue with pushing rock back more, I need to place pvc pipe first. need to make a tunnel I usually place that in the sand bed. Unless, I can cover it well with rock. It's just ugly. I haven't make the tunnel yet. Still thinking about layout. I'll probably make it in the shape of the overflow box and extend outwards left and right with around 4 openings.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to look into it. I kind of want to push the rock back a bit, and make some shelves. maybe figure out how to make sps island more spacey.
The rock is soft so it drills easy. If you’ve ever seen the rocks by Stax they are super flat. I used a normal chunky rock to drill and place a rod into, then I use the stax flat rock to make the shelf. Food for thought

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issue with pushing rock back more, I need to place pvc pipe first. need to make a tunnel I usually place that in the sand bed. Unless, I can cover it well with rock. It's just ugly. I haven't make the tunnel yet. Still thinking about layout. I'll probably make it in the shape of the overflow box and extend outwards left and right with around 4 openings.
Ohh for the eel huh!?

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The rock is soft so it drills easy. If you’ve ever seen the rocks by Stax they are super flat. I used a normal chunky rock to drill and place a rod into, then I use the stax flat rock to make the shelf. Food for thought
Not this rock I have. It is limestone and it was hard to bust open. Real REAL live rock, yes. Drill that however you like. This stuff sucks to work with. Maybe I can find some real reef rock at fishguys.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ohh for the eel huh!?
Very much so! They are scared little cats. Only 20x nicer. First eel have a plastic cave to live in. Second 1 I only had 1 long pvc tube at an inch diameter. This time, I would like to put some effort in.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much so! They are scared little cats. Only 20x nicer. First eel have a plastic cave to live in. Second 1 I only had 1 long pvc tube at an inch diameter. This time, I would like to put some effort in.
How cool! I think the pvc pipe is a money idea but yea gotta make it pretty somehow so it’s not an eyesore. Hey what about what reef Jesus does, he uses like mortar or cement to wrap pvc so it looks great and functions even better

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How cool! I think the pvc pipe is a money idea but yea gotta make it pretty somehow so it’s not an eyesore. Hey what about what reef Jesus does, he uses like mortar or cement to wrap pvc so it looks great and functions even better
I usually bury the pipe in sand. I could mortar around the openings.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually bury the pipe in sand. I could mortar around the openings.
Oh okay so maybe an elbow or two above the sand bed for entry huh? This is a cool idea. Imagining a underground tunnel system is making me want a new build.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup, it's always fun watching them poke their heads out. But, mine always came out for feedings. The nice thing about feeling safe. They don't stay fully hidden.

I was originally going to do that before I set the 112 up. Don't know why I never did.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back