It's Mangrove Season!

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time to start adding mangroves!

It's early in the season so most of the propagules collected are pretty small. I suggest starting these in some kind of substrate like Miracle Mud if your phosphates are low enough and you're not prone to algae. My tank is rather new and for my application it is best to lodge them into the rock structure securely so the roots can take hold. My rock work is set up so the tangs do not have access to the roots. With that said, it's also important to have some kind of flow for the roots that are exposed to just water and no substrate.

As the mangroves grow I plan on using bonsai anodized aluminum wire to direct the trees.

It's really hard to place coral and mangroves with the eels. I was bit yesterday. The eels do not like any changes to their rock and will defend it violently.

Before adding them to my tank I soaked the mangroves in tap water and coral dip.

ckW6Aya.jpg

They know what they did.
JESOuC4.jpg

I added the mangroves to both of my rock structures. I hope to have them meet in the middle using the bonsai wire

peqRvzm.jpg

ZNMeZCm.jpg

If you have any questions about Mangroves I'd be happy to answer them. I have kept them successfully for years.

Here's a link to my build thread for those interested
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/6...-new-concepts-and-design.309052/#post-3838271

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking at doing a few in my 215. But my wife and i both want them in the tank like you did. Even have a big open space to the left i want to do it in.

Couple questions though.. was planning on trying to let the roots hang so as it grows i can lower it until it gets in the sand bed. Would this work out ok? I have and plan on having lots of wrasses. And want them to be able to swim in and out of the root system.

Second question. How fast to they grow? I know that get big and am worried the the roots might end up tring to go through the seals a d cause a leak.

Have 20k MH 250w DE over my tank now. Planing on changing to leds at some point. Will the leds do just as good for them as light as well.

Sorry for so many questions just been waiting for someone to talk to ablut these. Lok

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking at doing a few in my 215. But my wife and i both want them in the tank like you did. Even have a big open space to the left i want to do it in.

Couple questions though.. was planning on trying to let the roots hang so as it grows i can lower it until it gets in the sand bed. Would this work out ok? I have and plan on having lots of wrasses. And want them to be able to swim in and out of the root system.

Second question. How fast to they grow? I know that get big and am worried the the roots might end up tring to go through the seals a d cause a leak.

Have 20k MH 250w DE over my tank now. Planing on changing to leds at some point. Will the leds do just as good for them as light as well.

Sorry for so many questions just been waiting for someone to talk to ablut these. Lok

Are you saying hang into the water? That would work fine but if you were hanging them above the water they would dry out pretty quickly. A lot of people do this so they can start developing the air and prop roots early. Wrasses might be okay but it's still a gamble. I have had several fish use the roots as a way to sharpen their teeth (trigger fish especially).

Mangroves can grow pretty quickly under the right conditions. If you ramp up the light over a period of time and they have plenty of fuel they take off. If you look at my build thread the picture with the mangroves is less than two months of growth. After the initial stage the root structure seems to become the plants priority.

In this picture the tree in the middle is about a year old.
LqFEWEA.jpg

Led's grow mangroves extremely well in my experience. I'm currently using a horticulture light to grow mine but really considering going back to the blue and whites. I don't think the MH will be a problem either, especially if you started with propagules.

I highly recommend this and not buying the ones that have already been started online. There's a major vender on eBay in Hawaii who starts all of his in freshwater. the conversion takes a long time. I think this is one of the reason many people have problems with mangroves.

Ask as many questions as you like! I'd love to see mangroves become a larger part of this hobby.

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. I am really wanting them in my tank. And will def keep an eye on my fish hitting to roots at all.

a70c11a50f386ef4ec5b4c949f2cd117.jpg

On the left side is the part i want to try and have them grow in to fill in that spot. I dont have any tangs as of now and not sure if i will get any. Was wanting this tank to be wrasses and sps mostly. But just love the idea of mangroves in the tank just like the ones you do i think are great.

Just was not sure how the roots would grow if they would grow all the way to the sand in the bottom of the tank. Or if i wluld have to lower it more and more in the tank as it grows.

What do you do when they grow above past the light sorce. Just cut them.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have plenty of fuel they take off
What do you mean by fuel? What can I give mine to help them grow?
Man, you are right on with the statement about not buying ones that are started online. I found a reefer in Florida that sent me some propagules that had been growing in 1.020 salinity and I matched it; first time I have ever had mangroves grow. I didn't know at all that I should even ask about that. I thought that since they could grow in varying salinities that they would be fine, but I realized that means mangroves as a whole, not the individuals. Once that really simple fact sank in, it became easier to grow them, but I still would like to know more about the fuel for mangroves...

Tankr75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ordering off line (eBay) how would you go about acclimating them to a saltwater tank as they can be in fresh brackish and salt water. I don't want to shock them lol. And I'm not sure what water they are coming from.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. I am really wanting them in my tank. And will def keep an eye on my fish hitting to roots at all.

a70c11a50f386ef4ec5b4c949f2cd117.jpg

On the left side is the part i want to try and have them grow in to fill in that spot. I dont have any tangs as of now and not sure if i will get any. Was wanting this tank to be wrasses and sps mostly. But just love the idea of mangroves in the tank just like the ones you do i think are great.

Just was not sure how the roots would grow if they would grow all the way to the sand in the bottom of the tank. Or if i wluld have to lower it more and more in the tank as it grows.

What do you do when they grow above past the light sorce. Just cut them.

Honestly I think you would be better off giving the plants something to adhere to like some live rock. I have never tried to grow them with no support for (24")? The roots structure tends to get thick before it gets long. I will try and take some pictures of one of my larger plants. It may work though, these trees are resilient and adapt well. IMO you would want the mangrove to take hold so it can start sprouting air/prop roots as soon as possible. You should be able to get ahold of some larger props (Ive seen them over a foot long) and as long as the top is above the surface they should grow. You could also start them in a bucket with saltwater and Miracle Mud to make them take off quickly and transfer them to the tank. You will need to monitor the evaporation.

I use the bonsai aluminum (Amazon) to guide mine into being a bush before they get too tall. I plan on having them at least two feet above the water and plan my light source accordingly. My reef lights are pendants so I can adjust them below the tree when it's time.

What do you mean by fuel? What can I give mine to help them grow?
Man, you are right on with the statement about not buying ones that are started online. I found a reefer in Florida that sent me some propagules that had been growing in 1.020 salinity and I matched it; first time I have ever had mangroves grow. I didn't know at all that I should even ask about that. I thought that since they could grow in varying salinities that they would be fine, but I realized that means mangroves as a whole, not the individuals. Once that really simple fact sank in, it became easier to grow them, but I still would like to know more about the fuel for mangroves...

By fuel I mean the nutrients they take up as well as MG and iron. You have to be careful (especially when adding something like Miracle Mud) to not overdue it. The same fuels mangroves use fuel algae. Personally I just use a very small amount of MG in a spray bottle I use on the leaves and exposed roots. The mangroves do a great job of pulling nutrients out of my tank water.

Yeah, the salinity is important. I believe thats the main reason so many people have bad luck.

If ordering off line (eBay) how would you go about acclimating them to a saltwater tank as they can be in fresh brackish and salt water. I don't want to shock them lol. And I'm not sure what water they are coming from.

I would get props that haven't started. Most retailers with developed roots used fresh water. Even if they were started in salt they ship them in damp newspaper and stress the plant. The acclimation process is a huge PITA. I have always found other means.

How soon are you looking to start? PM me and I will send you some for the cost of just shipping them.

What size tank is that you have the 2 eels in. They look amazing!!

Thank you! they're in a 250 gallon cube.

Here's another pic
f27tMDw.jpg

ReefBeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with needing root stability to grow. I originally had 6 pods. One grew longer roots of about 8 inches. The others only grew roots of about an inch. Only the bigger one grew leaves early. I tossed 3 thinking they were dead. Once I more securely anchored the back 2 they quickly sprouted leaves in the last 2 months. The pic below is of my mangroves now, 1 year since adding them to my aquarium. I have never dosed anything extra for them.

IMG_2637_zpszzpp93zy.jpg

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i have to redo a little rock work then i dont mind that at all. Love the mangroves in the DT. Look. As well as after seeing the pair of zebras the wife wants them in our 215... looks like ill need the nutient export soon lol. Doesnt help she works at the fish store we buy from... always scared what she will take home.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ur my man. I have a plethora and trying em diff ways. Brackish water. Normal tank with mag added and dirt with fresh I want prop roots not the white but red roots. So far non have started and there all at different stages some with no seed others that it's fallen off. So what I ask is submersible 2 what point also when they start getting wrinkles and soft why are they and I take the remedy is some fresh water as it has. I'm not sure and this is my 1st from seed I bought 1 to try as it was off season and failed. Wiped the leaves and all but feel wasn't me. So HELP ME THRIVE!!! Thanks.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i have to redo a little rock work then i dont mind that at all. Love the mangroves in the DT. Look. As well as after seeing the pair of zebras the wife wants them in our 215... looks like ill need the nutient export soon lol. Doesnt help she works at the fish store we buy from... always scared what she will take home.

Okay here's a pic of the root structure from a tree from last year. These roots were actually larger but I had to break some pulling it out of my old rocks.

zGQBJ6X.jpg

If you really like the look and you seem very enthusiastic I would do this...
Build some rock (Haitian would work best for this) and get some good adhesive. I like the cement (CJ talks about it on youtube, cool dude check him out). I would build a cool structure and use a masonry bit or even hack saw if you think you're good enough to make it so the rocks fit extremely well into that corner. At the top build the rock around a pond planter box (like this). Fill with Miracle Mud or a similar product, but make sure there's still some flow hitting it. put the mangroves in here so that around half of them are in the soul and at least 15-25% is sticking out of the water. When you do this make sure you don't have an algae problem or a decent fuge. I'd run my fuge 24/7 in the beginning. The same fuel that feeds mangroves feeds algae. If you don't have a bunch of algae already I wouldn't worry about it just be careful. With this the mangroves will take off fast. Keep in mind they are not an immediate phosphate/nitrate reducer like macro algae. Give them some time to establish and they will soak it up. Let me know when you're ready and I will send you some.

Ok ur my man. I have a plethora and trying em diff ways. Brackish water. Normal tank with mag added and dirt with fresh I want prop roots not the white but red roots. So far non have started and there all at different stages some with no seed others that it's fallen off. So what I ask is submersible 2 what point also when they start getting wrinkles and soft why are they and I take the remedy is some fresh water as it has. I'm not sure and this is my 1st from seed I bought 1 to try as it was off season and failed. Wiped the leaves and all but feel wasn't me. So HELP ME THRIVE!!! Thanks.

image.jpg

I'd follow my advice above with the pond pot and some mud. In your application that should be easy. Start them all and you may have 10%~ loss if you do it right. Also, it looks like at least one of them has the flower cap still on it from the tree. Pull that thing off! Also, are you starting these in your tank water? If you start them outside your tank for too long it could be a problem unless you're on top of it. Water evaporates fast.

Seed(prop) is always best. Its better to start the plant in your perimeters.

Tankr75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think you would be better off giving the plants something to adhere to like some live rock. I have never tried to grow them with no support for (24")? The roots structure tends to get thick before it gets long. I will try and take some pictures of one of my larger plants. It may work though, these trees are resilient and adapt well. IMO you would want the mangrove to take hold so it can start sprouting air/prop roots as soon as possible. You should be able to get ahold of some larger props (Ive seen them over a foot long) and as long as the top is above the surface they should grow. You could also start them in a bucket with saltwater and Miracle Mud to make them take off quickly and transfer them to the tank. You will need to monitor the evaporation.

I use the bonsai aluminum (Amazon) to guide mine into being a bush before they get too tall. I plan on having them at least two feet above the water and plan my light source accordingly. My reef lights are pendants so I can adjust them below the tree when it's time.

By fuel I mean the nutrients they take up as well as MG and iron. You have to be careful (especially when adding something like Miracle Mud) to not overdue it. The same fuels mangroves use fuel algae. Personally I just use a very small amount of MG in a spray bottle I use on the leaves and exposed roots. The mangroves do a great job of pulling nutrients out of my tank water.

Yeah, the salinity is important. I believe thats the main reason so many people have bad luck.

I would get props that haven't started. Most retailers with developed roots used fresh water. Even if they were started in salt they ship them in damp newspaper and stress the plant. The acclimation process is a huge PITA. I have always found other means.

How soon are you looking to start? PM me and I will send you some for the cost of just shipping them.

Thank you! they're in a 250 gallon cube.

Here's another pic
f27tMDw.jpg
I pmed you.

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So seems like my dad decided to order me 5 mangroves from liveaquaria... lol

So i got some bamboo amd going to tie them on to the bamboo so i can let the roots grow out. My question is what is a good way to tie them onto the bamboo? I am using zipties at the moment just tight enough so they dont slide off. But any better ways to do it?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, I brought home some mangrove pods in February and I have on left in the sump. The root are starting to grow, but nothing out of the top yet. Is that normal? I have the pod set on some filter media rock and well lit for 10 hours a day.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you saying hang into the water? That would work fine but if you were hanging them above the water they would dry out pretty quickly. A lot of people do this so they can start developing the air and prop roots early. Wrasses might be okay but it's still a gamble. I have had several fish use the roots as a way to sharpen their teeth (trigger fish especially).

Mangroves can grow pretty quickly under the right conditions. If you ramp up the light over a period of time and they have plenty of fuel they take off. If you look at my build thread the picture with the mangroves is less than two months of growth. After the initial stage the root structure seems to become the plants priority.

In this picture the tree in the middle is about a year old.
LqFEWEA.jpg

Led's grow mangroves extremely well in my experience. I'm currently using a horticulture light to grow mine but really considering going back to the blue and whites. I don't think the MH will be a problem either, especially if you started with propagules.

I highly recommend this and not buying the ones that have already been started online. There's a major vender on eBay in Hawaii who starts all of his in freshwater. the conversion takes a long time. I think this is one of the reason many people have problems with mangroves.

Ask as many questions as you like! I'd love to see mangroves become a larger part of this hobby.

Very cool! Just got a delivery of Mangroves from @joshporksandwic from Miami!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back