It's time for a hammer. DinoX...

Here is some interesting data on dinos as well. Shows that prorocentrum can actually feed on diatoms and other bacterias.

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s12601-010-0007-2.pdf
That’s been presented a few times on here. I think the ocean does a lot of things that aren’t replicated in our home aquariums. If the dinos were indeed feeding on diatoms, then our slides wouldn’t show the diatoms outcompeting the dinos.

As per my experience. I had Dinos. Hundreds on a slide when I took samples. Dosed water glass, got my diatom explosion, started to see the dino numbers deplete on the slides and diatoms remain in larger number, until eventually there were no dinos and only diatoms on the slides.
If the Dinos were feeding on the diatoms, we wouldn’t see those results.

So while I know that paper is well established, I think based on my and tens of thousands of others who used diatoms to defeat Dino’s, our home aquariums have different results that the ocean as it relates to dino/diatom relationships.
 
That’s been presented a few times on here. I think the ocean does a lot of things that aren’t replicated in our home aquariums. If the dinos were indeed feeding on diatoms, then our slides wouldn’t show the diatoms outcompeting the dinos.

As per my experience. I had Dinos. Hundreds on a slide when I took samples. Dosed water glass, got my diatom explosion, started to see the dino numbers deplete on the slides and diatoms remain in larger number, until eventually there were no dinos and only diatoms on the slides.
If the Dinos were feeding on the diatoms, we wouldn’t see those results.

So while I know that paper is well established, I think based on my and tens of thousands of others who used diatoms to defeat Dino’s, our home aquariums have different results that the ocean as it relates to dino/diatom relationships.
Which Dinoflagellates? I think it's prorocentrum that is doing the most damage in this regard.
 
Which Dinoflagellates? I think it's prorocentrum that is doing the most damage in this regard.
I had 3. LCA, SCA and prorocentrum. Same protocol for all 3 with water glass. The one that seems to be most effective against ostreopsis is UV.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new