OP
Iván Olalla

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PicsArt_06-12-09.14.08.jpg
Some new corals: JF Flame, Oregon Tort, JF Anacropora, Yellow Vietnamiensis, Tricolor Valida, Poscillopora rainbow and Forest Fire Digitata

Very happy with the new frags, let's see how they adapt to the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iván Olalla

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Vietnamiensis? what is that?

looks like a nice collection of sps
IMG-20190606-WA0328.jpg

Tks! I'm cycling the frag tank at the moment and have a coral shipment on hold...
This is the one... it's the name the vendor had for it, looks like an anacropora, but not sure....

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
given my limited sps knowledge
  • spongodes - i would lean more toward this. i was looking at a few electric lemonade anacropora in my tanks and the pic seems more like a spongodes that I have. in all honesty it's all sps and from I can tell, either is relatively hardy for an sps
  • "electric lemonade" anacropora - the one behind the one you shown above is more the typical JF Anacropora I am used to seeing and is what i have myself. These seems like pretty quick grower from my own experience.
  • picsart_06-12-09-14-08-jpg.1099833

OP
OP
Iván Olalla

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
given my limited sps knowledge
  • spongodes - i would lean more toward this. i was looking at a few electric lemonade anacropora in my tanks and the pic seems more like a spongodes that I have. in all honesty it's all sps and from I can tell, either is relatively hardy for an sps
  • "electric lemonade" anacropora - the one behind the one you shown above is more the typical JF Anacropora I am used to seeing and is what i have myself. These seems like pretty quick grower from my own experience.
  • picsart_06-12-09-14-08-jpg.1099833
Awesome, will look in to it! Also Will upload better pictures of each once they extend their polips! Tks!

OP
OP
Iván Olalla

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update:
I installed a BT single head Kamoer doser. Regarding this i want to vent a little: i just hate that everything hobbie related has an inflated price tag. I was looking at the Kamoer x1 and wanted to check some specs from the manufacturer, and what do you know.... I found the exact same pump with minor cosmetic changes for cheaper.... It's the dripping pro, for irrigation, the interface is a little different, but the pump and components are the same. Needless to say i bought the later one

Well, the pump i bought for two purposes:

My use of the ATO with kalk had some variations due to the different evap rates from day to day (in such a small volume it's very noticeable)

So i wanted to dial in my kalk contribution independently of the evap rate. I got dialed it in really fast and my kh swinged from 8.4 to 8.5, at that moment my consumption was 1.46 dkh daily.

The SPS responded very well to the new stability and loved the ph at 8.4 all day around, so i bought some more SPS (thinking ahead of the frag tank currently cycling) and tought that i just needed to adjust the consumption a little bit, but i was far beyond that point:

My dkh daily consumption went to 2.1/2.3,the fully saturated solution was added acordingly and surpased my top off needs....it went to the point that the ATO didn't kicked in anymore, i could not saturate more kalk in the solution and had to add manually alk on a daily basis to compensate, which defeated the whole purpose of dosing kalk.

I just switched to kh powder (Fauna Marín) in the doser and trying to dial it in along with some kalk in the ATO for ph buffering.

Hopefully in 2/3 days of test and adjustments i will get the numbers all together.

And that's all for the dosing part of the update. Regarding nutrients: my nitrate tested almost zero and my phosphate .01 (Salifert and Hanna) so i started feeding corals more (every other day) to try bring up a little those nutrients, i'm testing every week.

Now the good: i found a good offer on a light fixture for the frag tank, so i'm going to use the light for it in the pico reef, i will have the same lighting in the pico, frag tank and the big tank all dialed to the same PAR numbers which is a victory for my OCD and i think transition of pieces between tanks will be very easy too!

I will upload during the week some pics of the frag tank setup and the new light fixture on the pico once i dial the PAR so the corals dont stress. It's a Maxspect NaNo 70w 16k, maybe a little overkill for 8 gallons, but with the Seneye i hope to match the PAR of the current fixture and have more coverage and a better spectrum.

Happy reefing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iván Olalla

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update. I've been testing a beta version of a light fixture for a friend and fellow reefer. He designs and makes them, he also builds some amazing custom acrylic sumps (i will be using one on my frag tank)

So for now the Maxspect is still gathering dust, but i cant complain, the light fixture is awesome, kind of an overkill for the tank, but amazing spectrum and control!
IMG_20190709_080718.jpg

OP
OP
Iván Olalla

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PicsArt_07-08-04.03.53.jpg PicsArt_07-08-04.06.46.jpg PicsArt_07-08-09.31.43.jpg

Some recent pictures of the little tank, hopefully the next time i can show the stand, sump and frag tank. The system is still cycling and i'm trying to make it a little more eye appealing, since it's going to be in my office too it needs to be "pretty", frag/display tank.
Happy reefing!

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back