I've always thought"

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I have always thought, a good photograph is like a good joke. If you have to explain it, it just isnt that good"- Anonymous

A quote I found on the internet, very popular one at that. However, what does this apply to? To me, this applys to Street Photography manily, or photos that are taking during war, etc. Where there is alot of action. But is it limited to that? I know as a photographer some people will say it can apply to all images, but how is that correct?

What does it apply to?

reeftank21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like a good joke, you either "get it" or you don't. Not everyone has the same sense of humor.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the quote, but what Im saying is, can this apply to all photography, or only certian ones.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would apply to all photography. Many subject-specific photographs would require explaining to the lay person. Macro photography of some corals would be an example.

CJ

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would apply to almost all journalistic photography as there's usually a story there and you want the image to convey or add to the story.

Some pictures are more simple and explain themselves easily like wedding photos or portraits. They are just people in a situation which is easy to distinguish.

Macro photography as well as animal photography can require some explaining as some may not know what they are even looking at.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it's a rare photo that needs explanation. Before you expose the sensor/film, you should have a reason for making the image, i.e., a visual story you want to tell, something unique you want the viewer to see, or something common you want people to view in a new/better/different way. If you have to explain it, for the most part, it's a bad photo or a snapshot in which you have to list the family members and mention the event for it to have meaning. I don't believe macro photos, coral or otherwise, need explanation. They should stand on their own for their composition, shapes, textures, and/or colors. If, after the viewer sees the image, the additional information that it's a photo of coral, flower, leaf, enhances the viewing experience, so much the better.
Gary

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I have always thought, a good quote is like a good joke. If you have to explain it, it just isnt that good"- Brahm

;)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back