I've been cooking rocks in a Brute for a while

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So for about 6 months now I have been cooking rocks in a Brute. I have about 100 pounds of that purple rock in there that I started with. I sort of use that Brute as a recycle can. ANYTHING that comes out of my tank (filter floss, etc) takes a dip for a week or two in the Brute. It is thriving with life, I feed it weekly and do random water changes every couple of months.

Here is where I may have screwed up. I did some sump work and had to take about 5 large rocks out of my sump and I stored them in the Brute. I now want to use them in one of my displays to make an adjustment to add some additional SPS.

Thinking I may do this tomorrow, I just went and tested the PO4 and it is .47 (I changed the water (90%) about a month ago..). It looks like the purple rocks are still leaching. I am shocked 6 months later they are still leaching. I have lanthanum chloride and can dose that, change the water tomorrow in the brute, but that won't speed the leaching process up will it? However, where I am concerned that I may have mucked up is, the rocks that I pulled out of my sump and stored in the brute, are they now going to leach PO4? Any way to speed the leaching process up?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some power heads in there to move water around rapidly and slowly drip lanthanum , you can remove all phos very rapidly this way, the rocks will leach as long as the surrounding water is low concentration

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back