I've never tested for alkalinity

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is the buffer your system requires and is depleted by nitrification. Unless you are also performing denitrification than it will go down.

Tropic Marin has a simple KH test kit. Not the pro. Works on the same principle as API. Add one drop until it changes color. Each drop represents 1 dkh. Super simple. Quick. Can be adjusted to provide 0.5 dkh but I don’t bother with that precession. I aim for 9 knowing it can be off 2 dkh in either direction and all is fine.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT <<<deleted what I just posted>>>-- think I misread your post and was thinking you meant massive tank alk jump,,, but now I think the 7.7 to 8.6 instant jump was just in the bucket,,, that you later do small doses from ... so never mind
Oh no I meant the tank. It does lower ph for an hour but goes back up after the duration. I haven’t encountered any problems right now with this method of dosing but I don’t like doing it once my calcium goes below 400 I’ll do a water change and see if my alkalinity stay above 8.0 for a week at least till the next water change.

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no I meant the tank. It does lower ph for an hour but goes back up after the duration. I haven’t encountered any problems right now with this method of dosing but I don’t like doing it once my calcium goes below 400 I’ll do a water change and see if my alkalinity stay above 8.0 for a week at least till the next water change.
I've read cautions about increasing alkalinity that fast so wouldn't do it.

Don't quote me on this but I think most suggestions I've seen are to increase by no more than 1 dKH per day (maybe 1.5 dKH) and to do that in even smaller increases spread out over multiple steps (maybe 2-3 or more) throughout the day.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read cautions about increasing alkalinity that fast so wouldn't do it.

Don't quote me on this but I think most suggestions I've seen are to increase by no more than 1 dKH per day (maybe 1.5 dKH) and to do that in even smaller increases spread out over multiple steps (maybe 2-3 or more) throughout the day.
I agree this is why I’m going to rely on my high alkalinity salt this is temporary and the alkalinity is raised by 0.5 people raise their alkalinity with baking soda directly in a high flow area. I just added mine in a rodi water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back