OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Think the tv between shelving and tank in its place would be sweet. Tell your hubby nice selection of euro games I’m afflicted with both conditions Salt and euro addiction lol Since I have less than 494 fish going to say gaming is the bigger of addictions but salt is prolly gonna catch up :)
Whatever spot you pick I’m sure you will love the addition of the tank.
That's now the spot! We put up the tv to just get it off the floor and out of the way while we unpacked, so now it's time to get it out of the way for the tank and help it find its new home.
Fortunately, my husband and I both share our love of tabletop games. He definitely has more than I do, which is why I'm trying to protect them lol. I told him that I'll be asking for advice and all, but I'm not going to feel guilty about price tags because I can always just point at that wall or into his painting room where he has a dozen miniature games currently being worked on lol

This should be fun :)

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Also have the 525XL, love the tank. Mine came with an ATO, but would like to upgrade to a larger one at some point as well. Good Luck! I agree... move the tv... you'll watch the tank more anyways.
Agreed! Both about the ATO and moving the tv. When you upgrade your ATO, do you plan to just remove the reservoir or re-purpose it for something else?

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm doing this right by just replying to my own thread. I haven't felt this level of noob in a long time.

Anyway, here's a short update!

The tank is scheduled to arrive on Monday. I'm excited, but also nervous. It's just my husband and I here in VA. Most of our family is in NJ, PA, and OH. I invited my parents and brother's family over for Easter weekend for a BBQ...so I think I'm going to make them do some hard labor for their food hahaha!

The tank will be going where the TV currently is. I haven't had a chance to take it down yet, but it'll likely come down tonight. I visited a home decoration store (At Home) yesterday and they had some cool white storage boxes that I think may match the tank nicely. After seeing the stand, if it matches well, then I may go back and purchase one for a future ATO hiding spot. I have a 1 1/2 year old, so a hiding spot will be necessary for the next few years.

Other than that, today I ordered 80lbs of rock from Reef Cleaners. The web site states they're out of stock, but it allows you to order anyway... ? I'm assuming I get put onto a waiting list for the next shipping date. Not really sure. I have plenty of time since the tank may not even be out of the garage until the 19th. Whenever it arrives you all will know because I'll be posting some of my attempts at aquascaping and expecting some brutal honesty! :)

I also ordered my RO/DI unit from BRS and a replacement kit since they're on sale. I have to go back through the BRS160 videos to make a list of everything I need for my water/storage prep station.

Things to research once the tank arrives:
- plumbing the 525xl with PVC
- whether or not the refug size will allow me to use the triton method
- ^ whether or not an added marcoalgae reactor can help meet the requirements
- Skimmer options once space available is measured

Next shopping list:
- Heaters (for tank)
- Supplies for water storage/prep (heater, circulation, salt, etc)
- Return pump

Thank you all for being so helpful!

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong. Reef cleaners refunded my order and he told me he'd let me know when they're back in stock. At first I was really bummed, but I won't likely have the tank on the stand until Easter anyway and I could also use any extra time to continue researching the products I want in the sump. The goal is to start the tank with the ATO and AWC systems set up, so patience isn't something I'm going to struggle with.

Also realized I have to verify three power available in the outlets I plan to use.

Tank arrives tomorrow! Fingers crossed for that going easily!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't trust your heater to maintain your temp. Heaters fail constantly and consistently. Get a heater controller to do it for you. Whether that's a full system, like an APEX or GHL controller or an Inkbird or Finnex heater controller. You will want something to keep the heater in check. Most times heaters fail in the on position and cook your tank. The controller will kill the power to the heater when it reaches the desired temp. I check my tank temp religiously multiple times a day. And get a backup heater. You can use it for making water and if the main fails, you have a spare.

Also check the condition of the crate and tank while the driver is still there. If there is anything wrong with the packaging check the tank. Then get on the phone to whomever you bought it from and ask what they want you to do. I had my Waterbox show up with no tank and the stand package damaged. I called Waterbox and they said to refuse the delivery.

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't trust your heater to maintain your temp. Heaters fail constantly and consistently. Get a heater controller to do it for you. Whether that's a full system, like an APEX or GHL controller or an Inkbird or Finnex heater controller. You will want something to keep the heater in check. Most times heaters fail in the on position and cook your tank. The controller will kill the power to the heater when it reaches the desired temp. I check my tank temp religiously multiple times a day. And get a backup heater. You can use it for making water and if the main fails, you have a spare.

Also check the condition of the crate and tank while the driver is still there. If there is anything wrong with the packaging check the tank. Then get on the phone to whomever you bought it from and ask what they want you to do. I had my Waterbox show up with no tank and the stand package damaged. I called Waterbox and they said to refuse the delivery.
Thanks for the input! The redundancy episode of BRS160 basically scared me enough.

I'm planning on have a backup heater in the sump set to yep degrees cooler than the main heater so I have time to address the issue too. I was looking at controllers last night and felt overwhelm by the prices, but the most common comment was "I should have bought this from the start" so I'm thinking that's definitely going to be something I have as soon as possible. Everyone seems to have an apex... are they generally the top of the line or just a popular choice?

I currently think of lighting, flow, and temp to be the most vital for the tank (in no particular order). Would you agree with that?

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! I’m excited to see this build happen!
Thanks! The tank just arrived so this all just finally felt real. I've wanted to do this for such a long time, so I hope you are ready for a patient build lol because I want to do this the right way the first time around. I'd rather replace equipment because I want an upgrade instead of replacing because I was in a rush and made a terrible choice.

I appreciate any and all input! So please fire away any thoughts throughout the build.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting and flow yes, temp not so much as long as it's constant. I have cooked a tank from a heater getting stuck on and I know of multiple others that have as well. Just don't trust the heater itself to maintain a constant temp. I do not have a full controller as I think the price of them is outrageous. I have a Finnex heater controller which cost about the same as a heater.

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If You get anxious isnt marco rock from BRS basically the same rock?
I think the plan is to wait until after Easter, when I get the tank on the stand. Then I'll probably consider purchasing another rock. I've seen the reef cleaners rock in person so I'm kind of partial to it, but I'm not against getting another rock if it means not waiting months for the one I originally wanted.

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting and flow yes, temp not so much as long as it's constant. I have cooked a tank from a heater getting stuck on and I know of multiple others that have as well. Just don't trust the heater itself to maintain a constant temp. I do not have a full controller as I think the price of them is outrageous. I have a Finnex heater controller which cost about the same as a heater.
That's why I'm so hesitant about the apex stuff. I'm also an android person, so I'd have to buy the system and then buy a small iPad too. I'll look into the finnex heater. I started making a spreadsheet last night of everything I want so I can spread it across several paychecks, I finally went to bed when I got to the heaters because I wanted to be fully awake for that search lol. Should I post my list on here for feedback too?

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is here and in the garage. I was expecting the worst possible scenario after seeing how many others had travel damage, but I couldn't have asked for a better condition than what it was in.

20190408_091951.jpeg

20190408_092009.jpeg

20190408_092429.jpeg

I'm officially in possession of the reefer! Now I have to wait until my daughter takes a nap to open it up. Ughh! lol

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Both about the ATO and moving the tv. When you upgrade your ATO, do you plan to just remove the reservoir or re-purpose it for something else?

I think at first I will be removing it until I can repurpose it. I already have a larger reservoir, but also want to connect my rodi directly.

Congrats on getting the tank in! Hopefully its safe and in good condition for you!

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at first I will be removing it until I can repurpose it. I already have a larger reservoir, but also want to connect my rodi directly.

Congrats on getting the tank in! Hopefully its safe and in good condition for you!
Thanks! I'm really excited now.

I don't feel brave enough to plumb my ro/di to the ATO yet but I'm going to have to find that courage of I want to have a low maintenance AWC.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing awc now, but I haven't set it up the way I want it. First year in the house and had to see what the basement would do through rough winters here. Now that I know it will get setup this spring. If it ever comes lol

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I started looking at everything I want to buy and decided to just make a spreadsheet to track how much the tank ends up costing. It'll also help me plan out purchases per paycheck. I'll hopefully have this completed by Sunday, then I'll post my complete "wanted" equipment list for some feedback.

Right now I'm looking at heaters and lighting. I won't really be able to decide about the skimmer or and whether I want an apex controller until I decide whether or not the sump will be able to accommodate the Triton method... though, the more I think about it the more I feel conflicted.

Any way, I got the lid off and inspected what I could. Everything looks great right now. I thought I'd at least be able to help my husband take the sump into the basement. I was so wrong. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until this weekend to build the stand... but it gives me more time to clear the space it'll be in.

I'm also conflicted as to whether or not I should use the included plumbing or create the project of plumbing it like others have... not sure what the benefit is, honestly. If someone could enlighten me then I would love to know. #reefsquad
20190408_163659.jpeg
20190408_163954.jpeg

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd run the plumbing that came with it, unless your wanting to do a manifold.
I'd rather run the included plumbing. I guess I just don't fully comprehend the benefit of a manifold and if I did I may think it was worth the extra money and time.

Thanks for the input!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back