missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank shot:
tank.jpg

Here is a quick (probably not so quick) summary of what I have running...

DT:
ReefBreeders Photon 48-V2+
(2) Maxspect Gyre XF330
RSR net top w/ Neat Aquatics feeding hole

Sump:
Octo Regal 150 INT protein skimmer
Syncra Silent Sicce return pump
(2) 300W finnex heaters

Side Cabinet:
Trigger 10g ATO reservoir w/ Tunze ATO

Other:
Hydros controller w/ 2 temp monitors (1 In sump return & 1 in weir); water leak rope detector (haven’t installed yet, but will likely go around the sump);and ph probe, currently in the sump, skimmer section

Livestock:
(2) Snowflake clownfish

Currently working on:
- being patient and waiting to add the next fish
- researching the best method/time to establish a refugium

----------------------------------------------
First post:
Hello everyone! I've patiently waited almost a decade to be able to build my tank. I've recently purchased my first home (yay to no more military travel/renting!!) and now I feel like I'm in a stable environment with enough time to contribute to successfully creating and maintaining an ecosystem in a glass box in my basement.

I've already ordered my tank/stand combo. I was originally going to purchase the 425xl. After a trip to a LFS where my husband saw the 525XL in action, it was pretty easy to convince of the larger size. My husband has been very supportive of my interest in this hobby, even with the price tag. I think it is in part because of how supportive I am of his, which you'll notice is pretty costly in a picture below. I ordered the tank/stand on March 23rd and the tracking says it should arrive at the destination terminal on April 4th, so I'll likely get a call for delivery scheduling on Thursday or Friday. Here's to hoping!

I haven't compiled a equipment list and have no plans on stocking. I'm trying to be patient and buy as I go in order to spread the build over paychecks so I can buy good equipment that I've researched and feel good about. I'm really interested in the Triton Method of reefing. I'll have to see the RSR tank in person to convince myself about the size of the v3 refug it has. I've also been looking into the possibility of including a SKIMZ MBR157 in the refug to make up for the lack of volume. I've read both sides stating that it could and couldn't help meet the requirements for Triton, but I'd need to make that decision before deciding on other equipment. So...to triton or not to triton? Not really sure yet, any input there would be greatly appreciated. #reefsquad

My main question for this post is where the tank should go. I've decided its going in the basement, but I have two possibilities for placement.

20190401_194539.jpg

[Between the table top game shelves; that table there would be moved elsewhere]

This is the spot I'd love for the tank to go. I think the white cabinet would look great in between those shelves. There would be about a foot between the shelves and the tank/cabinet on either side. I'd actually like to leave a larger gap on the right side to fit an ATO container, but my husband keeps saying "it'll mess up the symmetric look." My concern is the evaporation of the tank water negatively effecting the games on the shelves. I plan on purchasing the RSR screen top, so that should prevent salt spray, but I'd appreciate any input from reefers that have their tank in between shelves containing games, books, or other sensitive to water items. Thanks in advance if you do!

20190401_194559.jpg

[along the staircase wall; directly across from the 1st option... I was standing in front of the TV to take the first picture]

This is the only other spot I'd feel comfortable placing the tank, and I don't feel THAT comfortable about it. I fear my daughter might throw something from the stairs and hit the tank. You also can't see the tank from my husband's painting room or the other part of the basement around the perpendicular wall. There is a benefit to this spot though - The perpendicular wall is a utility room (houses the HVAC and hot water heater units) that I would be able to use to house an ATO or AWC system, run through the wall. I can even walk under the stairs from the utility room, so I can put those items there and access them from that room through a hole in the wall. It just seems like it'll be more of a centerpiece in the other spot.

There is a bathroom in the basement that I will be using to house my RO/DI unit. It's closer to option 2, but not difficult to reach option 1 since it's a drop ceiling.

Next purchase:
- 80 lbs of Reef Cleaner rock
- BRS RO/DI system
- 2 Brute trash cans w/deluxe dolly

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! ! !

I hate to say this but I am partial to #2 only because you have the ability to use the space under the stairs for ATO/AWC. I'm also a little leary about that much water close to the games. No, I have no real experience with that kind of a setup but I know my tank evaps a least 1 gal per day and there is splash over through a screen top. (edit: not a lot but there is bubble popping above the screen)

#welcometoR2R

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1).gif
I'd have to agree, if under the stairs is accessible itd make a great spot for reservoirs and equipment that doesnt fit in the cabinet :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Although the utility room offers great potential, I never liked seeing tanks next to the stairs. Maybe it is because I am uncoordinated, but it scares me. Drop a tiny screw, or a penny and it plops into the tank. Kids are also a factor. That said I do not like the book cases either around the salt. I vote option 3. Lose the TV and put the tank there. Maybe a TV between the bookcases?

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fudsey Thanks for the input. I also love the idea of hidden components! I'm just so frightened of something falling onto the tank from the stairs. Maybe I'll just have to close off that opening somehow? Hmm... that is something I've never really thought of before. I'm also terrified of ruining my husband's games. I'm not about to ley my hobby give his hobby a set back.
Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1).gif
I'd have to agree, if under the stairs is accessible itd make a great spot for reservoirs and equipment that doesnt fit in the cabinet :)
Ughhh! I'm starting to agree with all of you lol! I love the idea of having the tank between the shelves because of the look of it together, but the convenience of hiding components and lowering the risk to his games seems to be winning out!
Thanks for the input!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughhh! I'm starting to agree with all of you lol! I love the idea of having the tank between the shelves because of the look of it together, but the convenience of hiding components and lowering the risk to his games seems to be winning out!
Thanks for the input!
Lol no worries. It's great to have input and ideas thrown out there, because once it's up and filled it's a pain in the rear to move it after that :)

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and off to a great starting.

I would put the tank where you think it would get the most viewing.

upload_2019-3-22_18-20-32.gif

That's why I'd like to avoid the stairs area. Hmm. The next comment has me considering his option three [emoji848] that would get optional viewing area too.
Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Although the utility room offers great potential, I never liked seeing tanks next to the stairs. Maybe it is because I am uncoordinated, but it scares me. Drop a tiny screw, or a penny and it plops into the tank. Kids are also a factor. That said I do not like the book cases either around the salt. I vote option 3. Lose the TV and put the tank there. Maybe a TV between the bookcases?

I'm not sure why I never considered that spot. Maybe because the TV was already up so I thought of it as not available. My husband even just agreed with this. I think I'm going to look into placing it next to the stairs ONLY IF I can buy something to close off the rest of the stair case easily. If not, then it'll likely go where you indicated.
Thanks so much for thinking outside the box [emoji122]

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. Cant wait to see this come together, ive benn loving the build threads lately
I've loved going through the threads too! I've been a lurker for months and now I'm just excited to finally connect with the reefing community even more through my own experience.
I'll do my best to keep everyone updated with plenty of pictures! Thanks!

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the wall that runs perpendicular to the staircase wall? Or is the tank to big?
That was the original plan with a 425xl, but the decision to do the 525xl made the wall too short and it also would mean the rest of the basement would only have a view of the side of the tank. If the tank goes in that area then the space between the game shelves will have a tabletop games table, so we'd love to be able to sit and play games and be able to see the front of the tank. So right now I think it's between option 2 and the newly suggested option 3.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why I never considered that spot. Maybe because the TV was already up so I thought of it as not available. My husband even just agreed with this. I think I'm going to look into placing it next to the stairs ONLY IF I can buy something to close off the rest of the stair case easily. If not, then it'll likely go where you indicated.
Thanks so much for thinking outside the box [emoji122]
Very glad if I could help. Your thread is a perfect example of why this community works.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! ! !

I hate to say this but I am partial to #2 only because you have the ability to use the space under the stairs for ATO/AWC. I'm also a little leary about that much water close to the games. No, I have no real experience with that kind of a setup but I know my tank evaps a least 1 gal per day and there is splash over through a screen top. (edit: not a lot but there is bubble popping above the screen)

#welcometoR2R
I was thinking the same thing. Always look to hide as much as possible, especially gear, out of the cabinet.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Think the tv between shelving and tank in its place would be sweet. Tell your hubby nice selection of euro games I’m afflicted with both conditions Salt and euro addiction lol Since I have less than 494 fish going to say gaming is the bigger of addictions but salt is prolly gonna catch up :)
Whatever spot you pick I’m sure you will love the addition of the tank.

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

I have the 525 xl and I’m partial to the clean look against a wall.

8C04E0C2-0685-4F47-AE13-CB075EDF05E1.jpeg
I have to agree with you! I'm pretty sure that's where we're putting it. I just need the tank to arrive:)

Also, I love your thread. I started going through it instead of replying to you comment >_< I started from the beginning and now I'm just looking forward to starting my own journey. I've read plenty of great advice either from you or members suggestions to you on your thread, so thanks for having one for us newbies to learn from.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back