OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best place for reefers across the internet, welcome back @missgoofyx24

goofy walt disney animation studios GIF by Disney
Now that I've experienced what other places have to offer, I definitely agree! I hope to be able to contribute to this community as much as this community has contributed to my tank!

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR; I need help with making two decisions.
1. When should I turn on my lights?
2. How should I place my lights?

Explanation:
1. I've read so much information on the timeframe for turning on lights that I think I've just further confused myself. I've read to leave them off throughout the cycle, but then I've also read to keep them off for up to 4 months with fish in the tank to allow nitrifying bacteria to claim their place on the substrate before presenting light that will induce the production of photosynthetic bacteria. I've ALSO read that in the long run, no matter what you choose, you'll see battle the same level of ugly stage and that sooner is better than later to just get it done and out of the way.
Any help/advice in either direction would be greatly appreciated!
drop ceiling.jpg

2. I have a ReefBreeders Photon 48-V2+. I'm torn on whether I should attached it to the tank using the included rigging or hang it from the ceiling. My basement has a drop ceiling with foam tiles that I can make holes in to secured the rigging, but I feel like it may look distracting. My worry with mounting the light on the tank is that I have a RSR 525XL and, frankly, I'm worried about adding any additional stress to the silicon seams as I've seen pictures of the tanks splitting and I'm terrified of that possibility in my future.

Side note: I received my controller board from adaptive reef, so now I have that to work on while the clowns finish their QT!

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit, so far this little cart is my favorite thing I've done since I started the tank. The idea came from a BRSTv video about organization. Thomas, one of the BRSTv Hosts, shows off his reef cart and how he uses it to easily maintain his equipment. I ordered a cart from amazon and as soon as it arrived I realized just how much I didn't realize I needed it.

20210131_012121.jpg

I keep my test kits on the bottom shelf (Hanna Cal, Phos, & Alk; Red Sea Marine Care & Foundation Pro) with a bottle of RODI, testing beakers & syringes, and scissors & a microfiber glass cleaner for the hanna checker packets. I also tuck my DT and QT notebooks in there.
On the middle shelf I store my food and tank maintenance dose bottles. You can also see my measuring spoons and cups hanging off the side.
On the top shelf I have the tank magnet and a role of paper towels. I usually use the top as a table to use while testing if I want to test right next to the tank. For testing, I usually role the cart to the tank, fill a beaker with tank water, then to the bathroom where I fill a beaker with RODI water, and then to the table where I sit down and start doing each test. It makes it all so much easier.

Are there any tips or tricks you found that really made things easier for you?
So I just ran across your thread and love the build so far! It's funny you mention this roller cart because I just watched the same video a few days ago and immediately hopped on Amazon to get a cart myself! It seems like a great idea! Most of my supplies are downstairs in my basement and my current tank is upstairs. I'm currently in the process of upgrading from a Biocube 16 to RSR 250. Over the 1.5 years that I've had my Biocube up, I noticed that as time went by, I got lazier and lazier about changing out media and other sporadic maintenance tasks solely on the fact that I needed to go back downstairs to get certain items. I think this is a great solution to that in order to keep some items that are used more frequently upstairs and out of the way!

Thank you for posting this!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the idea of any lights hanging from something mounted to the glass. No need to stress it any more than it already is holding back the water. If you attach the hangers to the stand, I'm ok with that, but I don't mind seeing them hanging from the ceiling on wires either.

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hanging lights is a better option

I don't like the idea of any lights hanging from something mounted to the glass. No need to stress it any more than it already is holding back the water. If you attach the hangers to the stand, I'm ok with that, but I don't mind seeing them hanging from the ceiling on wires either.

I took the advice and hung it from the ceiling. I didn't like the idea of adding additional stress to the glass, but I was worried about how it would look from the drop ceiling. It actually doesn't look that bad. I hate the drop ceiling tiles in general, but at least I made the wholes nice and small so it doesn't look like a mess. I'll post the pictures later today.
Thanks!
Now I just have to figure out when I want to actually turn the lights on...

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night was tiring to say the least. I never realized how annoying it would be to drill above my head lol. Anyway, I got the light up and ready for whenever it is I turn them on. I wanted to get them hung up so I can install the cable track and be able to have the cables neatly hidden as part of my current project (the controller panel).

hangingwires.jpg
hangingthru.jpg

lightson.jpg

Now I have to work on the cable diagram I'm going to use to make everything neat and safe. Hopefully that will be installed next week right before the clowns move into the tank.

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night was tiring to say the least. I never realized how annoying it would be to drill above my head lol. Anyway, I got the light up and ready for whenever it is I turn them on. I wanted to get them hung up so I can install the cable track and be able to have the cables neatly hidden as part of my current project (the controller panel).

hangingwires.jpg
hangingthru.jpg

lightson.jpg

Now I have to work on the cable diagram I'm going to use to make everything neat and safe. Hopefully that will be installed next week right before the clowns move into the tank.
Looks great!!

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR: I'm hoping you can provide some clarity about when to add tangs to a tank. Before ugly phase to help shorten it or after the last peaceful fish has been added...??? Or some other way?

Episode 19 of the BRS/WWC System series explains the benefits of adding tangs when the cycle is complete to use in combating the ugly stage when lights are turned on. This is also mentioned in some other BRS videos.

I plan to add a Purple Tang and Kole Yellow Eye Tang (both as small as I can find them). I only have 2 clowns right now and they'll be moved into the tank from QT in a week. I haven't turned on my lights yet.

***The video specifically mentions adding the tangs to the tank and letting them get established before turning on the lights so they can help with the algae that will appear in response to turning the lights on.

Every time I see anyone asking for help with their stocking list, the commenters usually say to add the tangs last. Is this just a difference in opinion / old school debate, or is there a choice that is actually superior to the other for specific reasons?

I'm looking for clarity since I know fish aggression is one of the components of this issue, but the videos talk about adding the tangs first and then adding other schooling (peaceful) fish which distracts the tangs from each other. Will they not just become aggressive towards the peaceful fish??

Thank you for any advice/input! I've added a picture below of all the fish I plan to add in additional to the two snowflake clowns I have.

#reefsquad

fish list.png

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you know, Chromis can be killers to their own kind until there is only one. It doesn't always happen but it does happen often. As for tangs, I've always had issues with them when ever I add a large fish to the tank. But after a period of time they seem to back off. I would add them both at the same time though if you can. Purple's can be very aggressive.

Edit: Oh and my female Frostbite clown is the meanest fish in my tank ;)

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis can be killers to their own kind until there is only one. It doesn't always happen but it does happen often.
I was slightly aware of this. I read that if they are raised together/QT'd together they should be okay. I'm still not certain I'm willing to add them if they're just going to kill each other. Do you have a suggestion for another schooling fish I can replace them with? I'm just looking for a group that will add a cool shimmer to the tank as they swim together.
As for tangs, I've always had issues with them when ever I add a large fish to the tank. But after a period of time they seem to back off. I would add them both at the same time though if you can. Purple's can be very aggressive.
The two tangs will be added together at a small size. I'm mainly concerned with their possible aggression at the fish I add after them, but they will be the largest in the tank. Is the aggression something that wouldn't really happen since no one I add will be bigger than them?
I'm planning to use an acclimation box for each fish I add so that I can see the reactions prior to releasing them, but if they're going to be mean for the sake of being mean...then I'm not going to entertain hosting them.

I originally wanted a yellow tang, not a purple, but I can't commit to the current price tang on them :confused: is there a different tang I should look at or are all zebrasomas that nasty.
Edit: Oh and my female Frostbite clown is the meanest fish in my tank ;)
ahahaha! I've heard this about clowns and I'm not sure how mine are going to ask. They don't attack my hand when I place it into the QT tank, but I know they don't feel like they have a territory yet, so that can be why. My female likes to swim around my wrist when I'm trying to clean the bottom of the tank. I imagine she'll turn into a wrist biter once she gets into the DT :rolleyes: prima donna

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try PJ Cardinals as they tend to hover together in mid tank. I've had up to 5 in the past at the same time and they will chase each other but don't attack. I would recommend getting them in even numbers though so they can pair off.

I've had a 2 spot tang in my tank for a couple years and have added other large fish, a Foxface, a CBB and a Swallowtail Angel. The tang did show aggression at first but after a few days it subsided. I have also added smaller fish and it paid them no mind. I think it has to do with size of the introduced fish mainly.

OP
OP
missgoofyx24

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize how much anxiety came with deciding which fish to purchase. Holy cow, man. I've been staring at this darn screen for almost an hour, hesitating to purchase these fish. I'm looking at a Yellow Eyed Kole Tang and Scopa Tang, both from TSM Aquatics. They should be available by now according to the dates listed, so I'd likely have the fish as early as this weekend, which would be cool. I didn't really want a scopas, as I would much prefer a yellow tang, but when comparing the price $400 against $80... I normally settle on function over style. However, I think I'll still call them tomorrow to see if they can get their hands on a captive bred yellow tang. Live Aquaria has them, so a girl can dream right?

Anyway... tank update...
1. The clowns did very well in QT and are now in the DT.
2. The controller panel is now hung up and everything transferred onto it, with all the cables neatly zip-tied and hidden away.
3. The skimmer has been going crazy while adjusting to the new norm of fish and feedings. I'm trying my best not to be heavy handed with the food, but boy oh boy this skimmer is sensitive. I turned it down to Eco and adjusted it no more than twice a day and I think I finally have it where it needs to be... until the next fish addition, at least.
4. After choosing the next fish, I want to settle in on a plan for the refugium and figuring out how to mount that light in the cabinet.
5. I have to sterilize the QT tank and start to cycle it. I want to use it for corals/inverts from here on out. I also have to buy a tank light for that now, too.

I'll post some pictures of the control panel tomorrow and maybe even let you guys know what fish I settled for in the end.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back