Jacked's Coral Emporium

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

i also run a llc for frag swaps and local sales out of my house.

Low boys
1. Drill from the inside out! Most of the time you might get a small “scallop” off glass that comes off when the bit finally goes through. If you drill from the inside out, the scallop will be on the outside, meaning the gasket on the bulkhead will have a flatter area to rest against the inside.

2. wholesale comes with pests, be prepared. I had never seen an aptasia in any of my tanks until I started ordering from wholesalers

3. look up kungfucorals (kfc) dip for euphylia. I’ve started to just immediately dip any euphylia I get since I went through a nasty run in with brown jelly

4. lighting - match the lighting as best you can across all the systems. No need to stress coral work a change in light from quarantine to sellable area. I’m actually in the process of changing out most of my led fixtures for t5 and some strip lights.

5. foot traffic and police - get ready for a visit from the police if you have a decent amount of traffic coming to your house. Also, blue glowing lights tend to draw attention as well.

6. Dm me for any info you want on wholesalers

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I have found about the garage is the concrete taper towards the door. It makes leveling a pain in the butt but any water overflows go directly outside and do not ruin anything! I have left my rodi on a few times without a float switch.
I spooked myself with the taper!!!! Thought I bought some really messed up 2x4s and then when the stand was build I thought I didn’t square it! Was glad both times that it was just the floor!!
This is going to be awesome, following!
Thanks! There has been a lot of work going into this so far!

update in the display/grow out system. Took out the freshwater fish and plants, added the T5 fixtue over it. And am working on reversing the plumbing as the now front of the tank was previously the background. Luckily I built it with a possible reverse in mind, so I will have to glue only 1 or 2 new things.
1BBACC01-0ED1-436C-8FC2-F9F330B8BFDD.jpeg

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

i also run a llc for frag swaps and local sales out of my house.

Low boys
1. Drill from the inside out! Most of the time you might get a small “scallop” off glass that comes off when the bit finally goes through. If you drill from the inside out, the scallop will be on the outside, meaning the gasket on the bulkhead will have a flatter area to rest against the inside.

2. wholesale comes with pests, be prepared. I had never seen an aptasia in any of my tanks until I started ordering from wholesalers

3. look up kungfucorals (kfc) dip for euphylia. I’ve started to just immediately dip any euphylia I get since I went through a nasty run in with brown jelly

4. lighting - match the lighting as best you can across all the systems. No need to stress coral work a change in light from quarantine to sellable area. I’m actually in the process of changing out most of my led fixtures for t5 and some strip lights.

5. foot traffic and police - get ready for a visit from the police if you have a decent amount of traffic coming to your house. Also, blue glowing lights tend to draw attention as well.

6. Dm me for any info you want on wholesalers
Thank you for all the advice! It’s crazy with how many people that are doing something or have done something similar that have reached out! Makes me hopeful for what I can get going over here!

1: oh for sure! When I first started drilling tanks I put like 50 holes in a 10 gallon to try and figure out the best way to do things. Have drilled from the inside out since!

2: I have heard that a lot! That’s why there is a receiving/observational QT system in the works. Luckily with 99 percent of pests as long as you catch them early you shouldn’t have many issues with them IME.

3: I have a buddy who swears by the kung fu corals dip. I might give it a try in the future. But I implemented Pond Melafix in my dipping regimen at the old shop I worked at and we went from having 3-4 cases of brown jelly a shipment to none! Have used it ever since.

4: Eventually will convert to ALL t5 and led strip. But I’m also trying to work with what I have on hand a lot as well. The slowest part of this build seems to be the finances.

5: hahaha they've already paid me a visit due to my freshwater lights. I do have a seedy neighbor who seems to attract their attention as well. Luckily the Pensacola PD is one of the nicest I’ve dealt with. They just seemed curious about the tanks.

6: sending you a PM right now!

again thanks for all the help! It’s really encouraging with how much support from the community and hobby I am getting!

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo long time no update. I was in Arkansas visiting the family and the fiancé for spring break. Came back down and got the stand and bottoms of the tanks painted (side note I always forget how much spray paint sucks. Sticking with the roller in the future). So we have progress.
7B9621A4-F420-4897-9110-87B616B637EF.jpeg
Took a pic while testing the t5s on the 75. Should probably have her cycling within a day or two as I am picking up the return pump, Skimer, and wave makers for it today.
5254EE4F-6907-4D5B-BB3D-013C5EB20F2F.jpeg

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys I have a dilemma.

i went and got the equipment I needed. Got some wavemakers, a return pump, gate valves, and a good ol fashion aquamaxx skimmer. Which is all great, there is one small issue tho.

i also ended up with a 55 gallon RR tank, stand, and sump. Now I wasn’t planning on this system. So if I decide to keep it there are a few things I could do.

1: CUC Tank. I could whilesell and sell clean up crew and perhaps small fish and invertebrates out of it. Snails, hermits, brittle stars, etc.

2: Anemone tank. I recently acquired a pair of wild percula clownfish, and they need an anemone. I originally planned in doing a natural host such as a magnifica in the 75 reef on its own island. But realized that may outgrow that space quickly. So I’m debating on turning the 55 into a nem - clown specific tank.

3: Seahorse breeding. I have bred dwarf seahorses in the past and was enamored with them. Would really want to try the erectus as well as where I’m at in Florida I could wild catch the brood stock. And have bycaught many while cast netting’s for bait in sea grass beds. This is my favorite idea ATM.

4: rare fish system. I am bound to encounter rare fish on the wholesale sheets once I get there. And KNOW that I will end up buying a few for myself. So I am debating on getting and quarantining select specimens in this tank and get them to collectors in my area.

so what would you guys go with. Options 1, 2, and 3 would all be plumbed into the 40 breeder sump for stability. While I would keep option 4 on a separate sump as to isolate pathogens. Let me know what you guys think! Also have A big milestone coming up tomorrow!!! Stay tuned!!!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i went and got the equipment I needed. Got some wavemakers, a return pump, gate valves, and a good ol fashion aquamaxx skimmer. Which is all great, there is one small issue tho.

i also ended up with a 55 gallon RR tank, stand, and sump. Now I wasn’t planning on this system. So if I decide to keep it there are a few things I could do.

1: CUC Tank. I could whilesell and sell clean up crew and perhaps small fish and invertebrates out of it. Snails, hermits, brittle stars, etc.

2: Anemone tank. I recently acquired a pair of wild percula clownfish, and they need an anemone. I originally planned in doing a natural host such as a magnifica in the 75 reef on its own island. But realized that may outgrow that space quickly. So I’m debating on turning the 55 into a nem - clown specific tank.

3: Seahorse breeding. I have bred dwarf seahorses in the past and was enamored with them. Would really want to try the erectus as well as where I’m at in Florida I could wild catch the brood stock. And have bycaught many while cast netting’s for bait in sea grass beds. This is my favorite idea ATM.

4: rare fish system. I am bound to encounter rare fish on the wholesale sheets once I get there. And KNOW that I will end up buying a few for myself. So I am debating on getting and quarantining select specimens in this tank and get them to collectors in my area.

so what would you guys go with. Options 1, 2, and 3 would all be plumbed into the 40 breeder sump for stability. While I would keep option 4 on a separate sump as to isolate pathogens. Let me know what you guys think! Also have A big milestone coming up tomorrow!!! Stay tuned!!!
#1 Looks like the best option for turnover. People are constantly looking for CUC stock.
#2 It sounds like you plan on keeping the clownfish and not selling them. If this is the case, then you’ll eventually have to have somewhere to put them.
#3 While this is a cool option and your favorite, not a lot of people have or want seahorses.
#4 seems like it could turn into a lot of extra work for minimal possible return.

Hope this input helps!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have to do something, I would do a CUC tank, BUT, you need a way to divide the tank into sections to keep all the critters separate, so you can keep track of stock and know what you have.

I would actually just hold on to it for now and do nothing with it. Get the coral going first. You'll probably end up adding it into the coral system because space gets used up fast when 2-3 wholesale orders come in and get fragged up.

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 Looks like the best option for turnover. People are constantly looking for CUC stock.
#2 It sounds like you plan on keeping the clownfish and not selling them. If this is the case, then you’ll eventually have to have somewhere to put them.
#3 While this is a cool option and your favorite, not a lot of people have or want seahorses.
#4 seems like it could turn into a lot of extra work for minimal possible return.

Hope this input helps!
Thank you! I appreciate all input. And yeah. The clowns are too nice to sell IMO. Pretty much perfect specimens.

If you have to do something, I would do a CUC tank, BUT, you need a way to divide the tank into sections to keep all the critters separate, so you can keep track of stock and know what you have.

I would actually just hold on to it for now and do nothing with it. Get the coral going first. You'll probably end up adding it into the coral system because space gets used up fast when 2-3 wholesale orders come in and get fragged up.
hahahah I don’t have to do something with it. I just got super excited getting a new tank for free. And kinda jumped the gun with planning. I’m gonna keep her dry for now, but with the possibility I would attach it to the main coral system. and things are gonan have to start out slow for now as I am eating up all my budget. But hopefully I get to the point where I have multiple wholesale orders coming in at a time!!!

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates from the weekend!!! So I snagged a 100 gallon tank and stand with equipment. As it had a lot of the equipment I needed (including a baffled 40 breeder for the sump) and it was cheaper than purchasing all of it separately. Still ended up with a lot more equipment than I need! Did score a chiller. I was thinking about selling it but I will keep it in hand to see how bad the tanks temps get during the summer.
6289B46A-1614-478A-AFB7-55DDA6868B87.jpeg

Also got two of the 50 lowboys drilled. Just gotta level the stand and plumb them. Thinking about plumbing in the 100 gallon and selling the 55 as it will give me more frag space.
92635467-7C60-4839-8004-9782D4C397E9.jpeg

And finally got the 75 up and running!!!! I know many might not agree with my idea to do sandbed in it, but I have noticed better parameter buffering with sand. So I will keep sand for at least the first year in this system. Will start the frag tanks BB. Will transfer some corals into it next week once I get some T5 bulbs
CE369618-CAE2-45BE-9B3A-1CA2735E1206.jpeg

Thanks again for whoever is tuning in! Still gunning for my first coral order in may! So gotta keep grinding!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates from the weekend!!! So I snagged a 100 gallon tank and stand with equipment. As it had a lot of the equipment I needed (including a baffled 40 breeder for the sump) and it was cheaper than purchasing all of it separately. Still ended up with a lot more equipment than I need! Did score a chiller. I was thinking about selling it but I will keep it in hand to see how bad the tanks temps get during the summer.

Also got two of the 50 lowboys drilled. Just gotta level the stand and plumb them. Thinking about plumbing in the 100 gallon and selling the 55 as it will give me more frag space.

And finally got the 75 up and running!!!! I know many might not agree with my idea to do sandbed in it, but I have noticed better parameter buffering with sand. So I will keep sand for at least the first year in this system. Will start the frag tanks BB. Will transfer some corals into it next week once I get some T5 bulbs

Thanks again for whoever is tuning in! Still gunning for my first coral order in may! So gotta keep grinding!
Looking good my friend looking good nice work!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice things going on!

I presume you have A/C pumping into that garage. Especially during the hot summer.

TrevorHenryTDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

You can do it! I’m loving these low boys. We’re gonna see how we like hydroponic totes for the next system we’re building on the opposing wall, I would recommend gyres for flow as I’ve tried most already in these and a gyre just does best for em in my opinion. Idk if BRS is still having the gyre sale but sign up wholesale and definitely get them pairs!

Attachments

• 0EA4A388-774C-4FB5-84A5-1EBC3F0615D9.jpeg
    0EA4A388-774C-4FB5-84A5-1EBC3F0615D9.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 32

kian.aeineh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Everyone! Just a warning, this thread is gonna be messy so please bear with me! There will be a lot of learning (failure), a lot of sweat, and boring posts that nobody wants to read for my own documentation.

Introduction
I have been working at Local Fish Stores for the past four years. While I have loved cleaning aquariums, helping customers, catching fish, testing buttloads of water, and all the other things people find miserable about working aquarium retail. There is one thing I dislike about it. Management. The first fish store I worked at was great! The owner respected the employee's ideas, allowed personal employee display tanks in the stores, all around a great guy! He just ran the financial side of the business very loosely, which always bothered me.
The current LFS I work at is a combined pet store. Pretty much any pet you could imagine (besides exotics) we have it. The only issue with that is that the owners don't really care for fish. No new systems are ever set up, the fish systems are from the 90s, and any updates or refreshes of the department that are needed never happen. The current fish department manager tries to do his best with what he has. And It just is difficult with the current owners.

That's where my idea comes into play. What if I started my own aquarium shop? I definitely have the knowledge, seeing as I have been keeping fish for 6 years, and keeping retail systems for 4, am currently going to school for marine biology, as well as briefly having my own freshwater breeding operation that paid for my hobby. I have wholesale relationships as I did quite a bit of ordering for my previous shop. The only thing I was missing was either the money to open a shop or the space and time to have a coral grow out.
I believed this until I saw a Facebook post for a new small store that opened up about 45 minutes away from me. When I arrived, The store was a single person running a horse through and ordering coral from wholesalers in her garage!
That experience spurred me into thought! I could run a similar thing out of my garage, yet provide a better selection, a bigger knowledge base, and a vision of corals that DON'T have a premium name price hike.

The Plan.
The day after visiting I devised a plan for how I was going to operate this shindig. I have been selling off tanks and equipment that I have no use for to build up a little bit of cash surplus and on Monday I managed to score 3 x 50-gallon Zoomed Lowboys for a pretty good deal. And the plan started coming together

To begin the operation will have 3 systems.

System 1 - Combined Retail System
IMG_4814.jpg

2 x 50-gallon Lowboys (48x24x10) tied into a 40-breeder sump. One tank will be lit by a 4 bulb t5, the other by LED (probably an SB reefs 300w light to begin)
System 2 - Receiving / QT
1 x 50-gallon Lowboy tied into a 20-gallon long sump. Lit by 2 bulb t5 and an LED strip light (undecided). Not planning on keeping corals too long in this system so optimal coverage and light is not the most important factor right now.
System 3 - Display/Growout
IMG_4816.jpg

75-gallon on a 20-long sump. This system was designed to be saltwater initially, but due to time and cost concerns, it was relegated to freshwater duty. The fish and decorations will be out by this weekend, saltwater will be in it next week hopefully! Will be lit by 4 bulbs t5 fixture.

To do
As of now, I have gotten a lot done in one week. Acquired the tanks, Built one of the stands, called the zoning department and got the business OK'ed, made a deal with a friend for most of the equipment I need, and most importantly got the Fiance to sign off on everything.
اما هنوز کارهای زیادی برای انجام دادن وجود دارد. من می خواهم حداقل 75 دوچرخه سواری شود وقتی که به خانه برمی گردم تا جمعه آینده والدین و نامزدم را ببینم. بنابراین این به این معنی است که هفته آینده کار زیادی انجام دهم و آن را خراب کنم و در گاراژ خود در بالای میان ترم ها دوباره انجامش دهم.
برای مخازن 50 گالنی، من هنوز باید پایه دیگر را بسازم، پایه ها و شیشه پایین مخازن را رنگ کنم، مخازن را سوراخ کنم و همه چیز را لوله کنم. من تصمیم نگرفته ام که در مورد سامپ ها چه کنم. من احتمالا فقط بخش های بازگشت را گیج خواهم کرد. اما من در مورد ارسال ایمیل به Tenecor برای چند کیت بافل و سرریز فکر کرده ام.
هنگامی که همه چیز دوچرخه سواری شد، من روند تأسیس LLC خود را آغاز خواهم کرد. من قبلاً حساب‌ها و دامنه‌هایی در رسانه‌های اجتماعی دارم که از تجارت آب شیرین خود باقی مانده‌اند، بنابراین احتمالاً با نامی که روی آن‌ها گذاشته‌ام استفاده خواهم کرد (این یک نام تجاری آکواریومی واقعاً خوب TBH است). بعد از آن، من می‌خواهم چند سفارش دریافت کنم، یک دوربین خوب بگیرم (هنوز بین DLSR و بدون آینه بحث می‌شود)، و یک جشن راه‌اندازی/تعوض قطعات برای کشتی‌های دریایی در منطقه‌ام برگزار کنم!!! این هنوز حداقل یک ماه یا دو ماه در راه است، بنابراین باید ببینیم.

به اطراف بچسبید تا اتفاقات جالبی را ببینید! قطعاً عکس‌های پیشرفت و مرجانی را در جایی که عکس‌هایی برای گرفتن وجود دارد، ارسال می‌شود! ریفینگ همگی مبارک!

Howdy Everyone! Just a warning, this thread is gonna be messy so please bear with me! There will be a lot of learning (failure), a lot of sweat, and boring posts that nobody wants to read for my own documentation.

Introduction
I have been working at Local Fish Stores for the past four years. While I have loved cleaning aquariums, helping customers, catching fish, testing buttloads of water, and all the other things people find miserable about working aquarium retail. There is one thing I dislike about it. Management. The first fish store I worked at was great! The owner respected the employee's ideas, allowed personal employee display tanks in the stores, all around a great guy! He just ran the financial side of the business very loosely, which always bothered me.
The current LFS I work at is a combined pet store. Pretty much any pet you could imagine (besides exotics) we have it. The only issue with that is that the owners don't really care for fish. No new systems are ever set up, the fish systems are from the 90s, and any updates or refreshes of the department that are needed never happen. The current fish department manager tries to do his best with what he has. And It just is difficult with the current owners.

That's where my idea comes into play. What if I started my own aquarium shop? I definitely have the knowledge, seeing as I have been keeping fish for 6 years, and keeping retail systems for 4, am currently going to school for marine biology, as well as briefly having my own freshwater breeding operation that paid for my hobby. I have wholesale relationships as I did quite a bit of ordering for my previous shop. The only thing I was missing was either the money to open a shop or the space and time to have a coral grow out.
I believed this until I saw a Facebook post for a new small store that opened up about 45 minutes away from me. When I arrived, The store was a single person running a horse through and ordering coral from wholesalers in her garage!
That experience spurred me into thought! I could run a similar thing out of my garage, yet provide a better selection, a bigger knowledge base, and a vision of corals that DON'T have a premium name price hike.

The Plan.
The day after visiting I devised a plan for how I was going to operate this shindig. I have been selling off tanks and equipment that I have no use for to build up a little bit of cash surplus and on Monday I managed to score 3 x 50-gallon Zoomed Lowboys for a pretty good deal. And the plan started coming together

To begin the operation will have 3 systems.

System 1 - Combined Retail System
IMG_4814.jpg

2 x 50-gallon Lowboys (48x24x10) tied into a 40-breeder sump. One tank will be lit by a 4 bulb t5, the other by LED (probably an SB reefs 300w light to begin)
System 2 - Receiving / QT
1 x 50-gallon Lowboy tied into a 20-gallon long sump. Lit by 2 bulb t5 and an LED strip light (undecided). Not planning on keeping corals too long in this system so optimal coverage and light is not the most important factor right now.
System 3 - Display/Growout
IMG_4816.jpg

75-gallon on a 20-long sump. This system was designed to be saltwater initially, but due to time and cost concerns, it was relegated to freshwater duty. The fish and decorations will be out by this weekend, saltwater will be in it next week hopefully! Will be lit by 4 bulbs t5 fixture.

To do
As of now, I have gotten a lot done in one week. Acquired the tanks, Built one of the stands, called the zoning department and got the business OK'ed, made a deal with a friend for most of the equipment I need, and most importantly got the Fiance to sign off on everything.
But there is still a lot to do. I want at least the 75 to be cycling when I travel back home to see my parents and fiance next Friday. So that means putting in a lot of work this next week tearing it down and redoing it in my garage on top of midterms.
For the 50-gallon tanks, I still need to build the other stand, paint the stands and bottom glass of the tanks, drill the tanks, and plumb everything. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the sumps. I probably will just baffle off the return sections. But I have been thinking about emailing Tenecor for some baffle kits and overflows.
Once everything is cycling then I will begin the process of establishing my LLC. I already have social media accounts and domains left over from my freshwater business, So I will probably end up going with the name I have on those (It is a really good aquarium business name TBH). After that, I want to get some orders in, get a nice Camera (still debating between DLSR and mirrorless), And throw a launch party/frag swap for the reefers in my area!!! That is still at least a month/two months down the road though, so we will have to see.

Stick around to see some cool stuff happen! Will definitely be posting progress and coral pics where there are some to take! Happy reefing everybody!
Good luck

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some changes, due to my truck blowing up, I am no longer located in Florida, move up to Arkansas, I got married, got a house, and got a new job that took a bunch of time away from fish.
But if have me a lot more money :)))
Here’s some teasers for what’s to come on the emporium, which is going to be a bit more than just coral (and even saltwater due to some connections I made with exporters).
IMG_5828.jpeg
IMG_5829.jpeg
IMG_5864.jpeg
IMG_5865.jpeg

Still going to be a home operation to start out, but have some big plans that include a shipping station
Here’s some pics of some freshwater fish I got from Africa
IMG_5817.jpeg
IMG_5805.jpeg

Gotta work on photography a bit more, but wheels are turning

Attachments

• IMG_5811.jpeg
    IMG_5811.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 10

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back