Jacked's Coral Emporium

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Everyone! Just a warning, this thread is gonna be messy so please bear with me! There will be a lot of learning (failure), a lot of sweat, and boring posts that nobody wants to read for my own documentation.

Introduction
I have been working at Local Fish Stores for the past four years. While I have loved cleaning aquariums, helping customers, catching fish, testing buttloads of water, and all the other things people find miserable about working aquarium retail. There is one thing I dislike about it. Management. The first fish store I worked at was great! The owner respected the employee's ideas, allowed personal employee display tanks in the stores, all around a great guy! He just ran the financial side of the business very loosely, which always bothered me.
The current LFS I work at is a combined pet store. Pretty much any pet you could imagine (besides exotics) we have it. The only issue with that is that the owners don't really care for fish. No new systems are ever set up, the fish systems are from the 90s, and any updates or refreshes of the department that are needed never happen. The current fish department manager tries to do his best with what he has. And It just is difficult with the current owners.

That's where my idea comes into play. What if I started my own aquarium shop? I definitely have the knowledge, seeing as I have been keeping fish for 6 years, and keeping retail systems for 4, am currently going to school for marine biology, as well as briefly having my own freshwater breeding operation that paid for my hobby. I have wholesale relationships as I did quite a bit of ordering for my previous shop. The only thing I was missing was either the money to open a shop or the space and time to have a coral grow out.
I believed this until I saw a Facebook post for a new small store that opened up about 45 minutes away from me. When I arrived, The store was a single person running a horse through and ordering coral from wholesalers in her garage!
That experience spurred me into thought! I could run a similar thing out of my garage, yet provide a better selection, a bigger knowledge base, and a vision of corals that DON'T have a premium name price hike.

The Plan.
The day after visiting I devised a plan for how I was going to operate this shindig. I have been selling off tanks and equipment that I have no use for to build up a little bit of cash surplus and on Monday I managed to score 3 x 50-gallon Zoomed Lowboys for a pretty good deal. And the plan started coming together

To begin the operation will have 3 systems.

System 1 - Combined Retail System
IMG_4814.jpg

2 x 50-gallon Lowboys (48x24x10) tied into a 40-breeder sump. One tank will be lit by a 4 bulb t5, the other by LED (probably an SB reefs 300w light to begin)
System 2 - Receiving / QT
1 x 50-gallon Lowboy tied into a 20-gallon long sump. Lit by 2 bulb t5 and an LED strip light (undecided). Not planning on keeping corals too long in this system so optimal coverage and light is not the most important factor right now.
System 3 - Display/Growout
IMG_4816.jpg

75-gallon on a 20-long sump. This system was designed to be saltwater initially, but due to time and cost concerns, it was relegated to freshwater duty. The fish and decorations will be out by this weekend, saltwater will be in it next week hopefully! Will be lit by 4 bulbs t5 fixture.

To do
As of now, I have gotten a lot done in one week. Acquired the tanks, Built one of the stands, called the zoning department and got the business OK'ed, made a deal with a friend for most of the equipment I need, and most importantly got the Fiance to sign off on everything.
But there is still a lot to do. I want at least the 75 to be cycling when I travel back home to see my parents and fiance next Friday. So that means putting in a lot of work this next week tearing it down and redoing it in my garage on top of midterms.
For the 50-gallon tanks, I still need to build the other stand, paint the stands and bottom glass of the tanks, drill the tanks, and plumb everything. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the sumps. I probably will just baffle off the return sections. But I have been thinking about emailing Tenecor for some baffle kits and overflows.
Once everything is cycling then I will begin the process of establishing my LLC. I already have social media accounts and domains left over from my freshwater business, So I will probably end up going with the name I have on those (It is a really good aquarium business name TBH). After that, I want to get some orders in, get a nice Camera (still debating between DLSR and mirrorless), And throw a launch party/frag swap for the reefers in my area!!! That is still at least a month/two months down the road though, so we will have to see.

Stick around to see some cool stuff happen! Will definitely be posting progress and coral pics where there are some to take! Happy reefing everybody!

TrevorHenryTDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Super excited to see it come together. We are currently redoing our entire front room of our store with low boys and super excited for the outcomes! I don’t know where you are located at but I do have 2 of these fish systems and will only be using one if you’re interested. Shipping will be insane but we’re in so cali if interested!

Attachments

• 2EF8D8DF-5E48-4C94-A943-A0F60F94135F.jpeg
    2EF8D8DF-5E48-4C94-A943-A0F60F94135F.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 72
  • AE77510C-AAF7-45FA-ACB6-9AE9208DD9D8.jpeg
    AE77510C-AAF7-45FA-ACB6-9AE9208DD9D8.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 77
  • EB1CB35B-50D8-4D14-BF98-AB22836C01A0.png
    EB1CB35B-50D8-4D14-BF98-AB22836C01A0.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting -- following along! Love to see people following their dream. Good luck and let us know when the online store is up & have frags available.
Will do one hundred percent! And if things go correctly I would become a reef2reef sponsor!
Super excited to see it come together. We are currently redoing our entire front room of our store with low boys and super excited for the outcomes! I don’t know where you are located at but I do have 2 of these fish systems and will only be using one if you’re interested. Shipping will be insane but we’re in so cali if interested!
Oh man! That’s an amazing offer. Unfortunately I’m in north Florida! So unfortunately driving 48 hours one way probably won’t be happening!
And lowboys are an amazing tank. Really the perfect frag tank size.

TrevorHenryTDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Will do one hundred percent! And if things go correctly I would become a reef2reef sponsor!

Oh man! That’s an amazing offer. Unfortunately I’m in north Florida! So unfortunately driving 48 hours one way probably won’t be happening!
And lowboys are an amazing tank. Really the perfect frag tank size.
Yes, super nervous on the drilling part but I got a couple of them if one doesn’t make it lol. If you need any help with the licenses and stuff PM me. It’s super easy and I can recommend a few wholesalers on my side of the states to you as well.

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, super nervous on the drilling part but I got a couple of them if one doesn’t make it lol. If you need any help with the licenses and stuff PM me. It’s super easy and I can recommend a few wholesalers on my side of the states to you as well.
These tanks should be super easy to drill! The glass is super thin.
man’s will PM you for sure! Thanks for the help!

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Everyone! Just a warning, this thread is gonna be messy so please bear with me! There will be a lot of learning (failure), a lot of sweat, and boring posts that nobody wants to read for my own documentation.

Introduction
I have been working at Local Fish Stores for the past four years. While I have loved cleaning aquariums, helping customers, catching fish, testing buttloads of water, and all the other things people find miserable about working aquarium retail. There is one thing I dislike about it. Management. The first fish store I worked at was great! The owner respected the employee's ideas, allowed personal employee display tanks in the stores, all around a great guy! He just ran the financial side of the business very loosely, which always bothered me.
The current LFS I work at is a combined pet store. Pretty much any pet you could imagine (besides exotics) we have it. The only issue with that is that the owners don't really care for fish. No new systems are ever set up, the fish systems are from the 90s, and any updates or refreshes of the department that are needed never happen. The current fish department manager tries to do his best with what he has. And It just is difficult with the current owners.

That's where my idea comes into play. What if I started my own aquarium shop? I definitely have the knowledge, seeing as I have been keeping fish for 6 years, and keeping retail systems for 4, am currently going to school for marine biology, as well as briefly having my own freshwater breeding operation that paid for my hobby. I have wholesale relationships as I did quite a bit of ordering for my previous shop. The only thing I was missing was either the money to open a shop or the space and time to have a coral grow out.
I believed this until I saw a Facebook post for a new small store that opened up about 45 minutes away from me. When I arrived, The store was a single person running a horse through and ordering coral from wholesalers in her garage!
That experience spurred me into thought! I could run a similar thing out of my garage, yet provide a better selection, a bigger knowledge base, and a vision of corals that DON'T have a premium name price hike.

The Plan.
The day after visiting I devised a plan for how I was going to operate this shindig. I have been selling off tanks and equipment that I have no use for to build up a little bit of cash surplus and on Monday I managed to score 3 x 50-gallon Zoomed Lowboys for a pretty good deal. And the plan started coming together

IMG_4814.jpg

2 x 50-gallon Lowboys (48x24x10) tied into a 40-breeder sump. One tank will be lit by a 4 bulb t5, the other by LED (probably an SB reefs 300w light to begin)
1 x 50-gallon Lowboy tied into a 20-gallon long sump. Lit by 2 bulb t5 and an LED strip light (undecided). Not planning on keeping corals too long in this system so optimal coverage and light is not the most important factor right now.
IMG_4816.jpg

75-gallon on a 20-long sump. This system was designed to be saltwater initially, but due to time and cost concerns, it was relegated to freshwater duty. The fish and decorations will be out by this weekend, saltwater will be in it next week hopefully! Will be lit by 4 bulbs t5 fixture.

To do
As of now, I have gotten a lot done in one week. Acquired the tanks, Built one of the stands, called the zoning department and got the business OK'ed, made a deal with a friend for most of the equipment I need, and most importantly got the Fiance to sign off on everything.
But there is still a lot to do. I want at least the 75 to be cycling when I travel back home to see my parents and fiance next Friday. So that means putting in a lot of work this next week tearing it down and redoing it in my garage on top of midterms.
For the 50-gallon tanks, I still need to build the other stand, paint the stands and bottom glass of the tanks, drill the tanks, and plumb everything. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the sumps. I probably will just baffle off the return sections. But I have been thinking about emailing Tenecor for some baffle kits and overflows.
Once everything is cycling then I will begin the process of establishing my LLC. I already have social media accounts and domains left over from my freshwater business, So I will probably end up going with the name I have on those (It is a really good aquarium business name TBH). After that, I want to get some orders in, get a nice Camera (still debating between DLSR and mirrorless), And throw a launch party/frag swap for the reefers in my area!!! That is still at least a month/two months down the road though, so we will have to see.

Stick around to see some cool stuff happen! Will definitely be posting progress and coral pics where there are some to take! Happy reefing everybody!
am a garage door guy and that track hang bugs me thats all i see lol

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

robertifly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wishing you nothing but success in this venture and am following along to see it happen for you, it's so exciting to see a dream come to fruition!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Introduction

The Plan.

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

To do

Happy to see you started this thread as I had read your other thread about the possibility of starting a garage business.

Two of the largest US companies were started in garages: Microsoft and Apple. The sky is the limit!

Also, I’m not sure if you saw it, or not, but I supplied you with a great place to buy used cameras, lenses and everything else one could ever need. The website is:

I’ll be following along and, who knows, maybe taking a drive up from Cape Coral!

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to see you started this thread as I had read your other thread about the possibility of starting a garage business.

Two of the largest US companies were started in garages: Microsoft and Apple. The sky is the limit!

Also, I’m not sure if you saw it, or not, but I supplied you with a great place to buy used cameras, lenses and everything else one could ever need. The website is:

I’ll be following along and, who knows, maybe taking a drive up from Cape Coral!
Thank you! I definitely am excited to pursue this avenue! Luckily I'm not gunning for anything more than an actual retail location, so you won't see me becoming a monopoly anytime soon :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:.

I also did see your post! I checked the site out and it is very professional looking for a used goods marketplace! I will probably end up snagging something from there when I need it a little more!

I would love to meet you once things are a little more set up! Definitely want as many people to swing by as possible!

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Nice to see you went ahead with your new tank thread! Getting me all excited! I like your FW tank didn’t know you had one.
I have 8 freshwater systems :grimacing-face:. 3 shrimp tanks, a goldfish tank, my 75-gallon planted, my guppy tank (next to the big planted one), A ricefish tank, and Some shell dwellers. I know as much about fresh as I do about saltwater. And have bred most freshwater fish you can easily get too. My love for aquariums is kind of a problem...

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 freshwater systems :grimacing-face:. 3 shrimp tanks, a goldfish tank, my 75-gallon planted, my guppy tank (next to the big planted one), A ricefish tank, and Some shell dwellers. I know as much about fresh as I do about saltwater. And have bred most freshwater fish you can easily get too. My love for aquariums is kind of a problem...
That’s a good problem to have lol. Don’t forget about Meatball’s tank!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back