OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo Jackson!! My favorite youtube vid! Its as you can see Orly20 you took the time the other day to respond to my comment on youtube.

I found your thread and it's been informative and great to see all the sps growth you get its amazing. Its kinda like your using some secret potion in your system. Keep up the updates in the new year and

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

I hope I was of some sort of help :) Thanks for the good words. The secret potion is nitrate lol because my level is about 25ppm lately. po4 is very low though .03

Happy New Year Rich! Best wishes for continued outstanding success with your reef! Next time you head my way, I hope you can arrange time for us to meet! Hopefully my reef will have some sweet wrasses and sticks in it! I'm going to be putting some sticks in very soon! Wish me luck because I need it! Oh, my New's Year's Resolution is that this stick man named Rich takes a nice long video of his reef while telling his captive audience what corals and fish are being shown for our viewng pleasure!! Great Resolution, huh?! lol

Terri, the video hasn't happened yet but I took a bunch of pics today and labeled everything :) Hope that does the job for now.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread needs more pics!!!!

I took a bunch of pics which I am uploading to youtube that I'll post later. Everything taken with an iphone6 unedited.

Plana/Deswalii type (wild)
IMG_0441 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Bright yellow wild Aussie Piece that I've been growing for 8 months. It did have red polyps originally and I can see a faint hint of red coming back. Fingers crossed!!!
IMG_0440 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Aqua SD Rainbow Milli
IMG_0438 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Milka Stylo which I may remove for more room, but I love the color. It's hard to part with :/
IMG_0437 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

My favorite stage (Albrohensis) grown from a mariculture frag. Growing fast now about 8"
IMG_0436 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is that special Rainbow Tenuis that I've been growing. This coral has been a PITA. I lost color on it for a couple of months due to a branch shifting and the coral losing direct light. It NEEDS bright direct light to keep the red highlights. It's coloring up more and more each day, an has gotten pretty large. It's the centerpiece of my reef.
IMG_0431 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

IMG_0429 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

IMG_0428 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyree PM which developed some green polyps that i never had happen before. purple coloration has gotten very intense. I like this better than the pale purple PM's I kept in the past :

IMG_0427 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Pearlberry…. No words for this one :dance:
IMG_0426 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Red Table begging to be fragged but i just let it grow :)
IMG_0425 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Not sure if this is a stag or milli, leaning towards milli. This is an old school coral from my area that has been in great reefs of the past. I haven't gotten super color from it yet. It's a teal color with great PE. I've seen this go intense navy blue in other tanks. We'll see how it develops.

IMG_0421 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

A blasto from a local vendor called "Pandora's Charm" that grew on me :)
IMG_0418 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ricks Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went thru the whole thread.Beautiful Reef! I hate it for you that the Male Flame Wrasse died.Nothing better than a Terminal male and a female Flame.

Ryans85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what is more impressive your wrasse collection or corals just amazen great job keep up good work.

TheGrimmReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue milli above seems to be a Palmers Blue, beautiful piece! You've got some great acros, I'd love to talk to you about the possibility of purchasing some frags. Send me a PM if you're willing to cut/ship a few.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys thank you so much for the nice comments. i really appreciate it.

Grimreefer thank you. I'm still in the process of growing things out but will frag in the future for sure. That milli is from a local tank over 10 years ago. It's not a palmers but looked like this originally in 450 gallon system. I've seen it have stag growth in other tanks and look like an albrohensis, but definitely leaning towards a mlli in my tank. This pic is under 10k and 12k reeflux halides which are notorious for creating crazy blue hues on acros. I'm not sure if I don't have the proper color yet, or if it's the reflux halides making this coral look navy blue. Looks teal under my radium :)

Last edited:

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that your tank is 26" deep with a 400w Radium. Mine is 24" with a 250w 10K XM but have been toying with the idea of running a Radium for good color and growth. I tested a 250w Radium and it was too dim. Would a 400w Radium be too much light? How far is yours from the water line?

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking stuff man.

Thank you :)

I read that your tank is 26" deep with a 400w Radium. Mine is 24" with a 250w 10K XM but have been toying with the idea of running a Radium for good color and growth. I tested a 250w Radium and it was too dim. Would a 400w Radium be too much light? How far is yours from the water line?

I think the 250w 10k XM is probably just as bring if not brighter than the 400w radium. Since you are running this super bright bulb, you should be fine with a 400w radium. You probably wouldn't need any acclimation. My bulb is about 10" from water surface.

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how fuzzy this plana is. This is on my short list of corals too
15628560253_845324dc4a_b.jpg

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kat with the bacteria dosing, most of the sps become pretty fuzzy eventually. Especially with the nutrient level rises. Next time I see you I'll give you a cut of that plana. Consider it a belated birthday present :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back