Cleaning house lol. Version 2.0 in the works. I’ll report back when I get the newer iteration of this reefs existence somewhat complete
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Thanks bud. I hope one day I can grow a colony of that PM, then a backup colony, then start to get it out there again. I can’t find anyone with it anymore.
The Modern Reef Program seems to be economical for what it supplies.
Previously
Daily: 3 gallons Kalkwasser, 200ml all for reef, 40ml esv magnesium, moonshine dailys, 3ml TM Bacto balance, various foods and aminos etc. in addition, monthly ICP corrections for parameters far out of place. I’m ok with a little deficiency as long as available in water lol.
Currently
Daily: 85ml each 4 part (broken into 24 daily doses), 3.5ml complete food, 6ml polyp pop. I recently started adding 8 drops of their “Elixir” but that’s not a necessary product I am changing salt to modern reef as well since aquaforest raised their prices and it’s very deficient in many trace anyway. I’ll be able to comment on this programs ability to hold
Trace levels better in time after using their salt for several water changes and continuing to dose longer.
Since starting I have noticed a substantial increase in polyps, more growth and colored tips, increase in anything red or orange for some reason, clear water-ozone like, a decrease in brown diatom/algae on sand, way less detritus not using Kalkwasser while keeping the same high ph (actually hitting like .06 higher). Nothing negative to report at the moment.
So at my current rate dosing a heavily stocked and fast growing 300g system;
Modern Reef 4 part and required foods runs me about $135 per month. The way I was doing it with kalk, all for reef, mg, carbon source, foods, and trace…. I don’t even think it was cheaper. Certainly wasn’t easier. I was burning out lol.
Any issues with the salt change?
I know I'm dating myself, but I remember people getting smoked with the big swap from whatever they were using to Red Sea due to Ron Shimek's comments...made me hardcore anti salt change unless absolutely necessary.
$135 a month to use MR for your system really isn't that bad at all.
Back in the day I was spending close to that on salt for water changes for my system, so...
Granted my system wasn't as nice as yours, but still...
I'm definitely interested in seeing how this works out for you long term.
But in this 200g display tank, I routinely changed salts from aquaforest, RedSea, and nyos depending on sale prices at the time. I haven’t used modern reef salt yet, but I’ll will report back with changes/icps in coming months.Lookin good.............I have a friend with a PM and he wanted to cut a frag for me. I told him not to as it's similar size to yours and it took 5 years for that.
The only time I cut mine was when it was a thriving colony & growing fast.
This continues to be one of my favorite build threads. Absolutely terrific system. Only problem is... with all that coral growth we can no longer see that fabulous live rock.
Thank you! TSA filmed here a few weeks ago. The corals were looking much better in this video since I was recovering from a copper spike (thanks to kz fllatworm stop) in the WWC video. Should be out in a few weeks .Nice system! Saw your video tour, very impressive stuff.
Thank you! TSA filmed here a few weeks ago. The corals were looking much better in this video since I was recovering from a copper spike (thanks to kz fllatworm stop) in the WWC video. Should be out in a few weeks .
I’ll drop a link here when its out.
Yeah, so what's going on over here? Making people wait over three weeks for an update. Sheesh!
Where's the link? Is there a link?



. I’m still waiting. I see some New York tank videos dropping on the TSA channel, so im
. I also acquired an old frag of “Jackson’s rainbow tenuis” fromYeah, I saw @charliethetuna had his video drop and watched it last night. Looking forward to seeing yours.Thanks for checking in. I’m still waiting. I see some New York tank videos dropping on the TSA channel, so im
Thinking its pretty soon. I definitely drop a link when it comes out.
Nothing on the reef scene to really update on yet. Still getting rid of a few colonies before replanting the display with lots of collector stuff from my frags tank.
Just a random pic of my orange passion growing in my frag tank which will be moved into the display. I also acquired an old frag of “Jackson’s rainbow tenuis” from
Pirates reef. Very healthy and growing frag. Hopefully I pull all
The colors in time.
![]()
![]()
Did u like mineYeah, I saw @charliethetuna had his video drop and watched it last night. Looking forward to seeing yours.
BTW - I think it's been a while so let me rattle your memory: I still hate you.
That is all.
Yes, you seem like a fine fellar even if you talk like you're from Long Island or something.Did u like mine

I'm jealous how much your son is into it. I tried with my kids but none of them ever showed interest. I started reefing 6 years ago and all 3 were already teenagers so that is probably why. What a fun experience with him.wow, wow, wow. great looking tanks. what a great video that was.
Thanks George! Blaine does a great job on these videos.Top Shelf Aquatics posted your video.. Very Nice..
wow, wow, wow. great looking tanks. what a great video that was.
