OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy! Just seeing this thread and read through the whole thing. Following along as well. I'm cycling a 25 peninsula as we speak. Love this build you have going.

Looks like you haven't updated since the move. How did it go?!
Hey Matty! Thanks for checking in. The move went very well. I ended up losing 2 wrasses that jumped out of a bucket without me noticing, and a blasto. I guess the blasto didn’t like the cold transfer water . All sps moved fine. Sorry haven’t updated, I’ve been busy getting the new home together and preparing for the new tank that comes on 12/14. Innovative marine 200ext. I’ll start a new build for that one. I already did all of the prep work and have most of the equipment to start

Here’s some recent shots of the 25 peninsula, a couple of shots of the move to the new house.

IMG_1864.jpeg IMG_1847.jpeg IMG_1843.jpeg IMG_1819.jpeg IMG_1735.jpeg IMG_1176.jpeg 72108839168__267CA6E3-76AD-4F4C-BF5A-B6E07C2B9711.jpeg IMG_1729.jpeg IMG_1728.jpeg

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some stuff I have going on for the new tank. Been curing Australian live rock for a few months. Running a giesmann spectra halide + t5 over this one. I’ll probably add a reefbrite or 2.

Attachments

• IMG_1740.jpeg
    IMG_1740.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1677.jpeg
    IMG_1677.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 72247038481__2BBA0DA6-D13F-48A0-B9A3-AB7B3F854886.jpeg
    72247038481__2BBA0DA6-D13F-48A0-B9A3-AB7B3F854886.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1412.jpeg
    IMG_1412.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 56

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many guys were complaining of the sicce, eheim, and stock pumps being very noisy. I also wanted a controllable pump. So far the jeabo dcs 1200 has been totally silent. I haven't cleaned it yet and the tank has serious Coraline growth already. I think it is the best choice. Yes, you have to shave off the intake a little to fit it in. I used a cutoff wheel to slice it.

IMG_5745.jpeg
My first used reef equipment purchase was 2 tunzes from you 15 years ago. We met in Sheepshead Bay. You cut the intake off on the powerhead too back then to get a wider flow. Stop cutting pumps bro! ;)

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first used reef equipment purchase was 2 tunzes from you 15 years ago. We met in Sheepshead Bay. You cut the intake off on the powerhead too back then to get a wider flow. Stop cutting pumps bro! ;)

Adam! Long time pal. Hope all is well. You still in the hobby?

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam! Long time pal. Hope all is well. You still in the hobby?
You know we can't leave lol. Moved to FL 3 years ago so shut my tank down and just started a new one a month ago. A lot of changed back from the VHO MH combo days, and that's after upgrading from power compacts. Hope you're doing well brother.

MattyJatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s some stuff I have going on for the new tank. Been curing Australian live rock for a few months. Running a giesmann spectra halide + t5 over this one. I’ll probably add a reefbrite or 2.
Wow, look at all that space! Is that an unfinished basement? That 200 IM looks like a beast. I used to have a 120G a few years back that was stocked pretty well. I slowed significantly down in the hobby once I got rid of the 120. I'm back in again full force with my little WB 25G Peninsula haha!

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know we can't leave lol. Moved to FL 3 years ago so shut my tank down and just started a new one a month ago. A lot of changed back from the VHO MH combo days, and that's after upgrading from power compacts. Hope you're doing well brother.
Good timing. I’m in Jersey now. Everything is well. Mshur is in Florida also. He just set up a 200g recently. Good hearing from you!
Wow, look at all that space! Is that an unfinished basement? That 200 IM looks like a beast. I used to have a 120G a few years back that was stocked pretty well. I slowed significantly down in the hobby once I got rid of the 120. I'm back in again full force with my little WB 25G Peninsula haha!

Yes, unfinished. No plans finishing it since I really don’t need the added space for the family sooooo……. I plan on adding several tanks down there. I brought a 100 amp sub panel down there + many outlets, added a slop sink for maintenance and rodi, and improved insulation so it stays warm down there. I will be nice to be a little more lax about hiding wires and making a mess

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that’s all she wrote for the nano. I got the 200 running and transferred all livestock over to it. I’m still keeping the nano running with only rock for now. Not sure which route I’ll go with it. Maybe keep it as a corals quarantine tank so I can safely play around with mariculture colonies.

Here’s what she looks like now. Just a few corals left to clean and peroxide dip incase before transferring.

And the contents of the nano in the IM 200 ext

Thread 'Jackson's Old School 200 IM Nuvo Ext'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/jacksons-old-school-200-im-nuvo-ext.1023448/

Attachments

• IMG_2255.jpeg
    IMG_2255.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2250.jpeg
    IMG_2250.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 32

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any initial thoughts on the Australian live rock? I was considering ordering some for the microbial diversity.

I have the same fixture. I added reefbrite XHOs to the front and back to balance it out. I used 6.2 x 0.79" black mending plates from amazon. Used the screws in the spectra and the XHO's and was able to connect them. Look like they were meant to be there.

1704667444326.png

1704667466546.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any initial thoughts on the Australian live rock? I was considering ordering some for the microbial diversity.

I have the same fixture. I added reefbrite XHOs to the front and back to balance it out. I used 6.2 x 0.79" black mending plates from amazon. Used the screws in the spectra and the XHO's and was able to connect them. Look like they were meant to be there.

1704667444326.png

1704667466546.png

I saw what you used when I was searching through gieseman stuff. I actually have those brackets in my amazon cart lol. Wasn't sure if I was going to use reefbrites this time or try the quanta bars, either the OG pop or meso blue. We'll see I have time. Don't need LED bars to grow corals, just wanted to make sexy time pics for the disco reefers :D

My thoughts on the Australian Rock... It's freakin expensive, however, it's the most volume per lb of any rock that I've used. I used 92lbs in the 200g and it feels like I used too much at times, definitely not too little.
The shapes are almost like using clusters of Tonga branch. It makes scaping very easy, creative looking, with a sense of depth. I aquascaped for all of 5 mins with no epoxy and was pleased :)
As for life on it, it comes in with lots of Coraline and calcareous algae. There's a little bit of a surfer smells so I assume die off in shipping. There was no hitchers to speak of on it. I did notice a few sponges. As I was curing the rock most of the Coraline died off, rocked turned white. PO4 was very high until about 6 weeks. Some gfo and 2 water changes cleaned it all up. After a month of lighting , I see the Coraline specs coming back all over the rock.

IME/IMO the bacterial population is there with this rock. SPS growing noticeably and coloring up in a reef running for 3 weeks with 25 or so fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the thread has been bumped, I'll update.

The 25 has been reduced to a fish qt (no meds) for now. Working on getting a copper band super aggressive feeding. Got him taking live black worms and some mysis. The bio-filter rock rubble rear chamber is still running so I can bring this back to a reef at some point if I need it. I really want to use it to QT some wild SPS until I get a large frag system running.

And below is a pic of the 200g on week 3. Everything chugging along.

IMG_2714.jpeg IMG_2712.jpeg

Last edited:

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw what you used when I was searching through gieseman stuff. I actually have those brackets in my amazon cart lol. Wasn't sure if I was going to use reefbrites this time or try the quanta bars, either the OG pop or meso blue. We'll see I have time. Don't need LED bars to grow corals, just wanted to make sexy time pics for the disco reefers :D

My thoughts on the Australian Rock... It's freakin expensive, however, it's the most volume per lb of any rock that I've used. I used 92lbs in the 200g and it feels like I used too much at times, definitely not too little.
The shapes are almost like using clusters of Tonga branch. It makes scaping very easy, creative looking, with a sense of depth. I aquascaped for all of 5 mins with no epoxy and was pleased :)
As for life on it, it comes in with lots of Coraline and calcareous algae. There's a little bit of a surfer smells so I assume die off in shipping. There was no hitchers to speak of on it. I did notice a few sponges. As I was curing the rock most of the Coraline died off, rocked turned white. PO4 was very high until about 6 weeks. Some gfo and 2 water changes cleaned it all up. After a month of lighting over the rock, I see the Coraline specs coming back all over the rock.

IME/IMO the bacterial population is there with this rock. SPS growing noticeably and coloring up in a reef running for 3 weeks with 25 or so fish.

Cool, I saw you were using the fixture and mentioned considering the reefbrites. Definitely not necessary, but add a nice pop. I have them for first hour and last hour of the day.

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to learn about the rock. Look forward to seeing your build!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back