Jake, Id like to request you do an article on this reefing falsehood: any reading of ammonia that ‘holds’ aka .25

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be amazing to put the studio gear you have access to into delving into this matter. Companies that sell bottle bac are being funded in portion by a total falsehood we have all promoted at one point, the stuck cycle. It is not possible for a reef tank with surface area to ever have stuck ammonia for days- .25 or .5 or 1 ppm for example

if the world was all using seneye for cycling, bottle bac redundancy purchases would drop fifty percent.

if polled, all of reefing would affirm its possible to have .25 sustained and can offer a list of bacterial insults that caused it.

they would agree api can be wrong, but I have never seen it written in cycle guides or reef books that the stuck cycle condition isn’t possible, api or not.

I see youtube discussion videos claiming cycles can be stuck, with stand in retail products to suit, but I don’t see seneye confirming it. Ever, not once.

a fresh new documented cycle article using seneye to show motion down for ammonia (validating fifty year established cycling charts, those didn’t permit stuck cycles ammonia trends down) could end the matter....what could possibly be more fun than uncovering false concepts (or false claims if I’m wrong) in cycling / bunk paradigms

not enough consumers have seneye on hand, or mindstream. Hoping to source people who do for a measure

if this notion is right and you show .25 never hovers days in an active biosystem, then half a million cycle advice threads are wrong. = big deal trending to note.

every entrant aquarium into a reef convention is immune to stuck cycles, they all are there on day one for the deluge. MACNA instant reefs are not in a state of decline, they’re just like your instant nano :) and will live as long as you have hardware luck in favor. Hesitation is out the door at all conventions.

Forums are miles behind, pure hesitation.
the hobby is pushing a fair portion of retail sales using incorrect microbiology. Im pro-bottle bac, where indicated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added to post:

why weren't we told by reef scientists who don't have a sales stake in the game that cycles can't stall in the presence of rock and sand, that ammonia is requisite in motion either all up or all down? Must be new info

In my opinion it's not everyday that a core paradigm in reefing is smashed like stage glass, it would help the hobby bigtime to see a dry rock cycle being brought up with seneye for proof that cycles can't stall and we are being ripped off

See ad that pops up on this search string (none of the results were stalled, not a single one, how many bought bac due to being stalled)
50F2B381-9977-4EB4-A8F2-096BB384CE4D.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that is an example of why we need this review or article. The hobby is in disarray as we undo the fake notion of a stuck cycle. People are misled, into purchases, how does that not offend staunch truth seekers

im aware there isn’t likely a resounding audience ready to state publicly (or even test to see?) that cycles can’t stall, ever, and every hovering ammonia reading ever taken in the hobby in a reef tank is false...but truth is truth, I’ll apologize when two seneye owners can show a stuck cycle (ammonia hovering in the tenths)

we are being taken advantage of. Not Cassie, though.

one at a time, thousands of threads, they’ll be shown the facts of nitrification and ammonia control in this hobby. To me, the ordeal seems like a rule breaking and ground breaking article- being misled for thirty years, the whole hobby.

I’ve asked a retail giant bottle bac seller on here who does hobby reviews / YouTube videos by the dozens, consulted by many for reefing truths, using the @ symbol alert, but got no response. Could be a bottom line affector though. Not sure how selling less bottle bac is going to be appealing, but discovering a conceptual issue in the hobby + an ad to remedy it + calling out everyone while asking to be tested is very appealing to me as a side hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he should it’s a good source of clicks for his blog. I like reef builders in all the years I’ve read them I never saw standout mistruths, he seemed like the Jaime Hyneman of reefing I could reach out to for myth bustin

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just posted in comments section, maybe this will get some traction

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that was a decent intercept using the principles here from prior pages regarding the kinds of arrangements you'd never, ever buy bottle bac for. a purchase of bottle bac redundant was coming up, I have done everything shy of begging them to not.

this aquarium is 100% visually cycled, something no bottle bac maker or seller tells us is possible.

Where is my MACNA video on skip cycling?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want this concept tested, who else can we recruit

edit* we've already tested it/thread is unfolding w examples. I want a skeptic to test it.

U

User1

View Badges
I really want this concept tested, who else can we recruit

edit* we've already tested it/thread is unfolding w examples. I want a skeptic to test it.

Well, you can find other ways to reach out to him and then put together a summary of your posts here and see if they are interested. Could be they have seen it but not interested. One of those things. There are a few others out there that are sort of hobby grade buildings but again not sure it is in any of their wheel house. Just my opinion based on what I read, videos, etc.

If this is something you want to see done and no takers then it would have to be done by you. If it isn't something you can do alone post again a summary of your vision and see if anyone wants to participate and how you can split the work load.

On the other hand if that fails, and you can't do the heavy lifting, then take a step back and revisit another day. I mean maybe you are looking at it wrong or maybe it isn't important to the masses as it is to you.

Just food for thought. Best of luck.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed to every bit of that.

Any good fisherman or fisherlady will keep casting lines until they get a bite. Eventually move puddles heh
how can I be the only one shocked at the discovery major cycling tenets are omitted repeatedly from our teaching materials, and the results are massive purchase funds going into the pockets of bottle bac sellers and makers.

adam savage and heineman would, for example:

get seneyes and show what they display during a cycle with dry rocks, bottle bac, liquid ammonium chloride, and live sand wet pack from caribsea (number one cycle arrangement in USA currently)

they would order kp aquatics live rock, and TBS, and set it all up using seneye to monitor dieoff.

they would then take totally live rock from a pet store, move it home with wet pack caribsea sand, and list what seneye says (congrats myth busters cycle team u have now tested every cycle assembled since reefing)

*lastly* what myth busters do best: cause the claimed condition.

just exactly how they’d set up either of those three cycles, to stall for ammonia at .25, Id pay to see it.

calling on any self appointed reefing myth busters, make some article gold

U

User1

View Badges
I'd also suggest you reach out to Seneye and see what they do with their data. May not be something they would entertain but they have data just like the various ICP testing companies. You may not need to run any tests at all. Data is there. Just need to understand the construct to write the proper queries to answer the question(s).

There is a thread here I'm sure you are aware of that did testing with both Dr Tim's and Turbo 9000 products. I don't believe your quest is if these work or not - that ship has sailed and that particular thread shows they do. Heck, even if one is still on the fence enough of us used the products to know they work.

However, you have a different question. Cast a wider net and see if there may be another way.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn’t check this forum or his comments. You need to find another avenue to contact him.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harold was trying to hint that lol/ received just now

I can see that a hundred + readers of Jake's forum though have seen the example works and the claim...that'll do for now, momentum at least

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back