OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a huge shop, and Charlie will talk as much as you let him (likely more than you want, and recently a lot about a failed partnership where he got the short end...), but he seems very knowledgeable and helpful with information as well. Just ask questions to keep the conversation directed. Prices are not cheap but reasonable compared to online stores.

If you wanted to visit the shop this Saturday, maybe we could meet there... no obligations, just suggestions! ;) I'll catch up in our PM.

I may be fortunate to have two good ones within 50 miles, though I have not had the chance to visit my LFS to the west yet (about 1.2 hours drive from home), only heard really good things from a friend.
That would be cool if you guys meet up and BOTH got torches! :p

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be cool if you guys meet up and BOTH got torches! :p
Ha, I am nowhere near ready for corals yet, though they were absolutely stunning! I just made progress on my not-yet-finished stand this past Saturday, so I still have a while until I will be stocking corals. To pass the time enjoyably, I just started stocking a few fish in my 40B quarantine a few weeks ago.

My reward from the meet-up would be a foxface, though this would mean I would not meet at @Mibu 's house, so could not see her reef in-person.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, I am nowhere near ready for corals yet, though they were absolutely stunning! I just made progress on my not-yet-finished stand this past Saturday, so I still have a while until I will be stocking corals. To pass the time enjoyably, I just started stocking a few fish in my 40B quarantine a few weeks ago.

My reward from the meet-up would be a foxface, though this would mean I would not meet at @Mibu 's house, so could not see her reef in-person.
I’ll check out your build thread!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not very familiar yet with coral prices and do not remember coral prices at Aquarium Obsessions since I was not shopping for corals yet, but I think most compare to reasonable online prices. I think the torches were around $100-$150 for those at 8-10", but I don't remember for sure.
I could call (or you could, of course) to verify prices and availability if you wanted to know for sure.
I am trying to talk the husband into going. But payday is next week. I would rather visit as the guy looks to have things well set up. There are 2 lfs here is running on fumes. 1 can only grow aiptasia, the other needs to sell his corals in a month or they start to recess. Tis sad in springfield.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very detailed.

My reef is very humble :)
It's funny, I've very rarely been told that I don't give enough details in my explanations! ;) I am a true introvert: quiet and reserved until you ask about my passion, then I'll never be able to fit enough communication in!

Your reef is still much more than mine right now, since my 75-gallon only contains one toadstool Sarcophyton (though it is doing okay). I am also down to only 3 fish (4" purple tang, 3" chromis, 17" snowflake eel) in the FOWLR after my triggerfish escapade... and I am being very lax in maintenance while working on my new setup, so brown hair algae and cyanobacteria are a constant battle (though I don't mind them much and they are not much harm in my setup.

I am trying to talk the husband into going. But payday is next week. I would rather visit as the guy looks to have things well set up. There are 2 lfs here is running on fumes. 1 can only grow aiptasia, the other needs to sell his corals in a month or they start to recess. Tis sad in springfield.
That would be great! I don't know if you noticed in my notes on the pictures from AO, but I thought I found 1 aiptasia only to discover that it was most likely an errant palythoa head. Charlie's tanks are well-maintained and established over years. I could not find a negative note on the condition and occupants of the tanks.
He has several purple tangs right now in hospital tanks that came in with HLLE. He mentioned that he has healed some of this condition, and I will be attempting to verify this in future visits. This would be a good testament to his skills!

P.S. That foxface is definitely worth something in exchange from me, so maybe it's not all bad that your payday is not until next week...

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He has several purple tangs right now in hospital tanks that came in with HLLE.
This is a huge issue with tangs and angelfish coming in to shops. I don't want what the importers are doing. It could be copper, poor water, soft carbon, bad diet or all 4. Fish are starved for shipping reasons.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a huge issue with tangs and angelfish coming in to shops. I don't want what the importers are doing. It could be copper, poor water, soft carbon, bad diet or all 4. Fish are starved for shipping reasons.
Yes, it really is too bad, but also great for Charlie if he can heal them!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I SOOO have to go over to AO.
MY LORD!! From his facebook page.
hammers.jpg
torch.jpg

And his black widow anemones :eek:

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I SOOO have to go over to AO.
MY LORD!! From his facebook page.
hammers.jpg
torch.jpg

And his black widow anemones :eek:
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention the black widow anemones. When I stopped by in February/March this year, he had a section of one tank about the size of a 40-gallon breeder tank full of rocks covered in black widow anemones, anywhere from 2" diameter to 12"+! They came from excessive splits in his friend's tank.
I will definitely be considering these as first choice if/when I am looking for a BTA. Charlie still had quite a few available last time I was there, and several were quite large at 10-12" diameter. I got a few pictures of them, especially large ones hosting clownfish pairs.

Also, those pictures from AO's FaceBook match what I saw there, though my own pictures were without a color filter and not very good representations of reality.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention the black widow anemones. When I stopped by in February/March this year, he had a section of one tank about the size of a 40-gallon breeder tank full of rocks covered in black widow anemones, anywhere from 2" diameter to 12"+! They came from excessive splits in his friend's tank.
I will definitely be considering these as first choice if/when I am looking for a BTA. Charlie still had quite a few available last time I was there, and several were quite large at 10-12" diameter. I got a few pictures of them, especially large ones hosting clownfish pairs.

Also, those pictures from AO's FaceBook match what I saw there, though my own pictures were without a color filter and not very good representations of reality.
I am really looking forward to going there. I might be in the dog house later :*(

I don't know about mixing bta yet.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really looking forward to going there. I might be in the dog house later :*(

I don't know about mixing bta yet.
I would say have cipro on hand if mixing BTA it has caused issues for me , but after using cipro broadcast dosing you can see one week difference in my GBTA , was mouth open looking weakish and now it looks better everyday

Attachments

• 233B3DDB-E591-47ED-AFAC-92CD43AF665C.jpeg
    233B3DDB-E591-47ED-AFAC-92CD43AF665C.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 36
  • D3110FD8-1DCC-4C1F-A9A7-F2A05B858361.jpeg
    D3110FD8-1DCC-4C1F-A9A7-F2A05B858361.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 30

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now how come I can’t have an LFS with LPS such as these beauties?

Get
phoebe cates christmas movies GIF
The owner has had struggles to keep his store open for over 10 years in the "middle of nowhere" central Illinois, though there is not much close-by competition.

I'd get all of the corals (and fish, too), but I don't have an extra $50,000 laying around! :p

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say have cipro on hand if mixing BTA it has caused issues for me , but after using cipro broadcast dosing you can see one week difference in my GBTA , was mouth open looking weakish and now it looks better everyday
I am not ready to mix just yet. I am hoping the one I have splits eventually. Or even buds, at that point I worry the cbb will eat all buddings.

I would have to sell the car, the house, the dog, just to afford all of those!
Now how come I can’t have an LFS with LPS such as these beauties?

Get
phoebe cates christmas movies GIF

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not ready to mix just yet. I am hoping the one I have splits eventually. Or even buds, at that point I worry the cbb will eat all buddings.

I would have to sell the car, the house, the dog, just to afford all of those!
I feel ya , BTAs are my fav if you figure out any tricks let me know! I’m still figuring it out , right now I’m trying daily feedings of mysis shrimp to get them bigger but not noticing anything lol

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On a bright note, my yellow hammer has a bud! I wonder if it is receiving enough light. Since still attached to the parent, if that is enough?
I feel ya , BTAs are my fav if you figure out any tricks let me know! I’m still figuring it out , right now I’m trying daily feedings of mysis shrimp to get them bigger but not noticing anything lol
I am about to ask james.... his split in a month or 2? ;Inpain

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back