James’s 29g Nano Build

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me 4 weeks of no water changes to get up there naturally. I don’t wanna dose anything too soon
I am at 4 months without a water change. I do a ICP test every month to make sure my numbers are correct since I stopped water changes.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am at 4 months without a water change. I do a ICP test every month to make sure my numbers are correct since I stopped water changes.
That adds up quick. I would have to sell frags monthly to be able to keep that up. I haven't been able to grow them to sell them. I'll get back there eventually.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I got really lucky with my new LFS, every single frag is $25. They don't have the most mind-blowing selection but they get interesting things in from time to time, and everything is only ever $25, which is darn nice.
This LFS has frags in the $25-75 range, but the ones we are talking about at higher prices are definitely not just frags but 8-10" beautiful "colonies"!

That is nice to have cheaper frags available, even if the selection is more common. I tend to prefer some of the more common corals, which will be a help for my bank account when I get to purchasing corals.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This LFS has frags in the $25-75 range, but the ones we are talking about at higher prices are definitely not just frags but 8-10" beautiful "colonies"!

That is nice to have cheaper frags available, even if the selection is more common. I tend to prefer some of the more common corals, which will be a help for my bank account when I get to purchasing corals.
You know, if he has some nice colonies for sale :eek: ... I am sorry poto and joe. I will not be attending....

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, if he has some nice colonies for sale :eek: ... I am sorry poto and joe. I will not be attending....
I don't remember what colonies he had for sale or at what prices exactly, but I think there are more than just small frags for sale.

What my last comment was specifically referring to, though, was the Euphyllia and elegance corals. Are those considered colonies when large, or just large "heads"? I don't have much familiarity with coral size terminology...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know what... I have not figured out my time frame.. I forget when payday is, either this friday or next fridat.. OMG.... My brain is like a scrambled egg all over the counter.
I don't remember what colonies he had for sale or at what prices exactly, but I think there are more than just small frags for sale.

What my last comment was specifically referring to, though, was the Euphyllia and elegance corals. Are those considered colonies when large, or just large "heads"? I don't have much familiarity with coral size terminology...
A colony is well over 4 inches. But, single heads are just that. I think for hammers - torches 4 heads is a small colony. Everyone has a different definition. I do stray away from wall hammers, frogspawns. It's impossible to save if they get sick. I have yet to read a success story.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimmy Fallon Thats Not Fair GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To some people, if you can frag it, it is a mother colony. And some people frag 2 inch acropora.
Judging by the size of the plug, this stick is probably just a little big bigger than your thumbnail.

That's more than I make, even if I work 3 weeks in a row.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Judging by the size of the plug, this stick is probably just a little big bigger than your thumbnail.

That's more than I make, even if I work 3 weeks in a row.
I am not into acro hype. Once you can frag a pup, it could be a 25 frag at that point. Things can quickly change. You like to gamble, acropora is your game!
I am not a gambler. I know hammers to torches keep a steady desire. I just have had a streak of misfortune. Good intentions get flushed as quick as I make them.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what... I have not figured out my time frame.. I forget when payday is, either this friday or next fridat.. OMG.... My brain is like a scrambled egg all over the counter.

A colony is well over 4 inches. But, single heads are just that. I think for hammers - torches 4 heads is a small colony. Everyone has a different definition. I do stray away from wall hammers, frogspawns. It's impossible to save if they get sick. I have yet to read a success story.
Agreed Ill always go for a branching type hammer you could always cut the effected branch off

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if AO will let me snag some pictures. He has purple tangs too... OH dear. I smell trouble.
My last visit, I specifically confirmed with Charlie that he does not mind customers taking pictures in his shop. I only brought along my tablet for pictures that time.

This next trip, I plan to bring along my DSLR camera with tripod and color filters to get some better pictures/videos and actually record more specific information on corals and prices!

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not into acro hype. Once you can frag a pup, it could be a 25 frag at that point. Things can quickly change. You like to gamble, acropora is your game!
I am not a gambler. I know hammers to torches keep a steady desire. I just have had a streak of misfortune. Good intentions get flushed as quick as I make them.
Buys a $600 acro, melts 5 seconds into the tank.
Season 1 Quinta Brunson GIF by Quinta vs. Everything

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don't like pictures taken, I would call it a shady practice. People who love their work never usually mind. They like to show off what they do.
Charlie is definitely one who is confident enough in his abilities and transparent enough about his practices that he does not fear what a picture could show and is probably glad that I wanted to take pictures. He seems glad to show what he does rather than just talking about it.

I agree that an LFS not wanting pictures taken would seem to be a reflection of shady practices.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back