Jan 2022 POTM Winner @steveweast

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations to @steveweast for winning Jan 2022 POTM contest "Tank Scape " sponsored by Avast Marine.

1_21_22 Full Tank.jpg

Please contact me via PM to claim your prize. Congrats on a great photo and thanks for participating.
#POTM #POTMWinners #MODS #RS

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the scape and them some fat full bodied tangs I see or should I say big boned ? So fish don't get a complex ha ha.
But very good photo bravo ^_^
What are the red corals I circled,I think I know but better ask

Screenshot_20220312-094213_Chrome.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are Fat Head Dendrophyllia . Non photosynthetic that require frequent feedings. They are large polyps so that they can be fed what everyone gets like mysis, LRS or blackworms.
Aw ok I was wrong then as thought some kind of " sun coral" well I guess nearly right as similar as both none photosynthetic and I'm guessing the same care needed.
It throw me off as though need be in low flow/ low light and they high up in tank with the sps so I'm assuming will get relative highest flow and light ,but tank is amazing and these corals seem to be flourishing so owner doing something right and not everything is written In stone ^_^
Thanks for reply btw

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need moderate flow....which is why they are located in the rocky, vertical...somewhat protected areas....of the reef. Lightning is irrelevant to them. If placed in higher light areas, they can get overrun by either algae or anemones. They do have a potent sting to ward off encroaching SPS though.They just need some protection from algae and anemones. I've had these for about a year now....and they do spout new heads. These dendros will expand during the day unlike most sun corals. With any feedings or just a stirring of the sand....they come out.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing!!! Thanks for sharing your reef with us, @steveweast.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back