Japanese pistol shrimp!!

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was feeding my tank and straight up just watched this Japanese pistol shrimp take out my Midas blenny!! Most disturbing thing I’ve ever watched considering the blenny was my favorite how do I catch this shrimp without hopefully having to take my rocks out of the tank? This guy is huge. I’ve only had him for 2 weeks. Worst decision I’ve made.

image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was feeding my tank and straight up just watched this Japanese pistol shrimp take out my Midas blenny!! Most disturbing thing I’ve ever watched considering the blenny was my favorite how do I catch this shrimp without hopefully having to take my rocks out of the tank? This guy is huge. I’ve only had him for 2 weeks. Worst decision I’ve made.

image.jpg
Wow - did the shrimp stun and kill the blenny? I’ve heard of that happening (and also that they can break aquarium glass) but have never actually had either issue happen to me.
I imagine trapping would work for the shrimp.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alvssaxo

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - did the shrimp stun and kill the blenny? I’ve heard of that happening (and also that they can break aquarium glass) but have never actually had either issue happen to me.
I imagine trapping would work for the shrimp.
Jay
Yep. I have a 32 gal and I had a feeling this shrimp was goin to be too big. Got it from Saltwaterfish online. It’s like 3-4 inches. So just a bottle trap you think? I’ve never made one so not sure how this is going to go

Upvote 1

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I have a 32 gal and I had a feeling this shrimp was goin to be too big. Got it from Saltwaterfish online. It’s like 3-4 inches. So just a bottle trap you think? I’ve never made one so not sure how this is going to go
Trapping is pretty tricky - first you need to ensure the target animal is hungry and can fit in the trap. Most have to be manually triggered, so you’ll have to sit tankside with the lights out - boring!
Not sure what brand would work best or if DYI would be better.

Jay

Upvote 0

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Mithrax Crab that I caught with a simple bottle trap. Cut top of plastic bottle and invert in bottom piece. Put some pieces of shrimp in the bottle. Caught the crab in night 3 , she would have been 2 inches across too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alvssaxo

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update everyone. Last night I made a bottle trap out of Gatorade bottle with mysis shrimp as bait. Shoved it in the rocks to encourage the shrimp to enter with the opening right outside his cave. I did not expect to catch the guy so fast. Not even 3 minutes he went inside. I took it to the store in exchange for an emerald crab, reup on snails and a goniapora. I feel that I’ll be so much happier with my tank. He killed a cleaner shrimp and all my snails as well since he took out my Midas blenny. If I ever decide on a pistol shrimp again, the candy cane is the only one I’ll ever accept.

Upvote 0

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update everyone. Last night I made a bottle trap out of Gatorade bottle with mysis shrimp as bait. Shoved it in the rocks to encourage the shrimp to enter with the opening right outside his cave. I did not expect to catch the guy so fast. Not even 3 minutes he went inside. I took it to the store in exchange for an emerald crab, reup on snails and a goniapora. I feel that I’ll be so much happier with my tank. He killed a cleaner shrimp and all my snails as well since he took out my Midas blenny. If I ever decide on a pistol shrimp again, the candy cane is the only one I’ll ever accept.
Sorry to bump the thread again but I have a pistol shrimp I am trying to catch before he does harm. Did you sit next to the tank and wait? Did you have the room completely in the dark or just the tank lights?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alvssaxo

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bump the thread again but I have a pistol shrimp I am trying to catch before he does harm. Did you sit next to the tank and wait? Did you have the room completely in the dark or just the tank lights?
I had the blue lights on in the tank. Lights were on in house too. I don’t think the lights had anything to do with anything personally. And it was about 7-8 at night when I caught him

Upvote 0

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I had a candy cane that I believe died. Got a Japanese to pair with my goby since his buddy died. Goby didn't go near him for months. The same day he did, I never saw him again...

Upvote 0

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the blue lights on in the tank. Lights were on in house too. I don’t think the lights had anything to do with anything personally. And it was about 7-8 at night when I caught him
Thank you so much! I am going to try again tonight and do exactly that. I’m planning on getting a candy cane to replace him too so I hope yours goes well if you ended up doing the same :)

Upvote 0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back