Japanese Swallowtail Angel

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with this fish in a reef tank? Supposed to be reef safe, but I’m always a bit skeptical of any type of angel.

Thanks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently it is indeed reef safe (but I don't have any personal experience with this fish). I did just add a Lamarck's angelfish today (also rated reef safe) and it has completely ignored all my soft, LPS and SPS corals (not sure if that helps, but it was definitely "as advertised").

I do have a pair of dwarf angelfish, however - and the midnight has absolutely shredded any acans or brains that I was foolish enough to try and introduce (both the midnight and coral beauty are reef safe with caution, however). The coral beauty takes the very odd nip but isn't anywhere near the terror of the other one...

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently it is indeed reef safe. I just added a Lamarck's angelfish today (also reef safe) and it has completely ignored all my soft, LPS and SPS corals. I do have a pair of dwarf angelfish, however - and the midnight has absolutely shredded any acans or brains that I was foolish enough to try and introduce (both the midnight and coral beauty are reef safe with caution, however).
Thanks, yes Lamarck’s and Swallowtails are supposed to be reef safe but l’ve learned over the years that doesn’t necessarily mean every single one follows the rules. Or they follow the rules initially and then go on a bender and eat everything in sight. Will see if I get some other feedback.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yes Lamarck’s and Swallowtails are supposed to be reef safe but l’ve learned over the years that doesn’t necessarily mean every single one follows the rules. Or they follow the rules initially and then go on a bender and eat everything in sight. Will see if I get some other feedback.
This is my first 'regular' angel, so only time will tell. I mostly have soft and LPS that don't seem to be that desirable for the other two dwarfs. Very nice looking fish - hope it works out!

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No guarantees. Could try a smaller tank with tester corals for a while. Genicanthus are supposed to be more well behaved.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a male swallowtail angle for about one year before he started eating one of my favorite torches. Quickly rehomed him to friend’s fish only aquarium. Too bad! He was a beautiful fish.

2C0394A6-D0EB-45C9-A721-7998EE8D3C08.jpeg

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No guarantees. Could try a smaller tank with tester corals for a while. Genicanthus are supposed to be more well behaved.
Yes, problem is there is no set stopwatch to know you’re in the clear. I’ve stayed clear of angels over the years and unfortunately I think I need to continue the trend. Too bad. Nice fish.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, problem is there is no set stopwatch to know you’re in the clear. I’ve stayed clear of angels over the years and unfortunately I think I need to continue the trend. Too bad. Nice fish.
Same here I had to rehome some butterflies for the same reason. Out of the blue bam there goes some lps. Unless its fish only I wont own either of them.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here I had to rehome some butterflies for the same reason. Out of the blue bam there goes some lps. Unless its fish only I wont own either of them.
dang fish! Why can’t they just follow the rules. You’re supposed to be reef safe. Just be reef safe. :)

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a female in my tank about a year, about 5", and have been searching for another to pair her. (if you know where I can find one, please share! :D)

She leaves everything alone (I have SPS, LPS, Zoas, Anemones), but has a hypnotic obsession with my blue gigantea anemone. She'll spend probably 15-20 minutes a day just waiting for it to poop so she can eat whatever comes out, doesn't pick at the tentacles though. The blue gig is about 5" and I've got a green gig that's 10" that she completely ignores.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pair for @ 1 year
complete array of SPS, LPS, (4 torches included) and never had a problem - so far
keep them well fed otherwise

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are plankton eaters, like anthias. They should be safer than tangs. There may be a rogue one here or there, but that would be abnormal. I had a spotbreast with LPS and softies for a year or 2.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with this fish in a reef tank? Supposed to be reef safe, but I’m always a bit skeptical of any type of angel.

Thanks.
I own the closest cousin to this fish, Genicanthus melanospilos and he is the best fish I have ever kept in a reef (better than any of my tangs). I find the common genicanthus angels to be less reef safe (Such as bellus and watanabei).

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a swallow tail and Lamarck for almost 2 years now and they’ve yet to nip at any of my coral. I keep a mixed reef. My PBT loves to nip the tips off my euphyllia tho and I did not see that coming

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a male swallowtail angle for about one year before he started eating one of my favorite torches. Quickly rehomed him to friend’s fish only aquarium. Too bad! He was a beautiful fish.

2C0394A6-D0EB-45C9-A721-7998EE8D3C08.jpeg
That’s G. melanospilos the one the OP is talking about is it’s cousin G. semifasciatus which is found deeper down than melanoma polos which makes it slightly rarer and more expensive

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason most of the rarer genicanthus will be more reef safe is because they tend to be found either on reef drop offs or like 100+ meters down. They don’t hang near rocks and are more open water fish but coral grows on rock and can’t grow on sand (Unless it’s Xenia in which that can go from in the sand bed to a rock structure). The deeper down you go then the less coral growth there is too so down there it’s probably just NPS corals such as chilli, sun coral, black suns, NPS trees ect.. I have my melanospilos in a tank with a chilli, frammer, favia, Ricordea Yuma, discasoma soo (Blue mushrooms), Monti caps and have kept him with a Staghorn and Monti digis. He has just stayed up close to the surface and only uses the rock when scared and even then he just hides round the back.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The place I’m considering buying it from calls it a Japanese Swallowtail. Don’t think it’s a Masked Swallowtail Angel which seems to be G. Semifasciatus. Here’s a pic.

Attachments

• 5DB9D199-B067-482E-90EF-4DEF02D0369B.png
    5DB9D199-B067-482E-90EF-4DEF02D0369B.png
    954.9 KB · Views: 42

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The place I’m considering buying it from calls it a Japanese Swallowtail. Don’t think it’s a Masked Swallowtail Angel which seems to be G. Semifasciatus. Here’s a pic.

Yep, that's definitely G. melanospilos. The naming of the 2 swallowtails are all over the place.

G. semifasciatus collection seems to have dried up in the last few years. They're truly a rare find these days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back