Jawbreaker Bounce???

Goonofthelagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this Deadpool jawbreaker for about a year now. It grew from the size of a dime to the size of a 50 cent piece. In other words, a quarter inch to an inch and a half. Well when I first got it, it looked like this. And now it looks like this. I’ll post pictures of the order of time. Is it bouncing? What do you guys think?

OP
OP
Goonofthelagoon

Goonofthelagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got the mushroom, I know, not the best picture

381CC3F2-E34C-4513-A25C-E5C544098F8E.png

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not bouncing, it’s just not extended out. Could be too much current or even lighting. I’d bet that shroom would more than double in size if it stretched out.

Here’s my candy crush acting all happy and a shot of how much smaller it will get. It’s inside a cup for reference.
67253305-4C6E-4AC6-A4E5-80ACA5B150B6.jpeg
3F7CF186-CE4D-4345-B440-F8A999D077FB.jpeg

OP
OP
Goonofthelagoon

Goonofthelagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, well mine came unattached from its rock 3 days ago and it’s now trying to find a spot it likes

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful when they detach. Sometimes they want to find s spot with flow and lighting they like. Sometimes it means water quality issues. Jawbreakers are more picky than most discosomas.

OP
OP
Goonofthelagoon

Goonofthelagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s not water quality issues, my sps are doing great. He was in a medium light and medium flow kinda area tho, but he was there for an entire year. Funny you say that they are picky, mine has actually been more resilient than all of my other mushrooms. I had a tank crash a while back that killed all of my mushrooms except the jawbreaker. He’s a tank. The crash once caused by a bacterial bloom in my tank and while everything was shriveling up and dying, he was wide open and looked great? It was really weird. But now I can’t get him to attach. I put him down on the sand bed with a frag plug underneath him last night with a see through cup over top of him so he won’t blow away. I’m trying to get him to attach, but still no luck so far.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have one of those small condiment cups you can throw some larger rubble in it and put the mushroom in there. You can cover the top with vegetable netting. It normally takes 2 weeks for shrooms to attach in my tank.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mushrooms detaching usually is a sign of them not liking something. I know you mentioned your water is perfect because the SPS are thriving - that doesn't mean something else is not going on that the shroom is not happy about. When they detach - the foot either slowly fully detached or shrunk to a tiny point.

I've had shrooms not attach for months. Why? No clue. out of 100 shrooms in the tank 4 decided not to be happy, 2 jawbreakers and 2 discosoma.

Boxes like this (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mushroom-condos-2-2-3-2-4-2.695149/) are the best for shroom keeping, they prevent shrooms from floating out and disappearing, but still provide the flow they need.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bouncing. I have had JB’s (the OGs) for over five years. They live in all kinda of lights and flow. They prefer lower light but will adapt to higher light but it has got to be suuuuper slow acclimation. I have never had any detach though.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not bouncing. I have had JB’s (the OGs) for over five years. They live in all kinda of lights and flow. They prefer lower light but will adapt to higher light but it has got to be suuuuper slow acclimation. I have never had any detach though.

I throw my JBs right under Radion G4 Pro and hope for the best :)

OP
OP
Goonofthelagoon

Goonofthelagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’m quite sad. I just lost my jawbreaker I think. I have bounces and about 6 other types of discos in my tank and for some reason, my jawbreaker just melted? Like it turned to goo? There definitely no way for him to come back right?

OP
OP
Goonofthelagoon

Goonofthelagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more like a red goo, I just don’t understand what happened. I feel like I made a rookie mistake somehow. I had him inside of a cup, but the cup was see through, so light could get in. He had air flow going into the cup as well.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is any foot left cut it off before it turns to goo too. It will grow into another if you cut it off in time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back