Jawbreaker mushrooms

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am thinking about buying a jawbreaker and would like to know some info on them! Whats usually the going rate for a baby or smaller one? How long does it take them to get the nice red streaks and green in them? Whats ther max size? And like other shrooms are they pretty hardy? Thanks in advance :)

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the search feature & searched "jawbreaker mushroom" to find out what I have about them. Also, I asked a few people questions about them & this is what I came up with.

First off let me say that I do not own one or ever have owned one. I am no expert. This is just the info I have gathered about them.

Hopefully folks that own them & have had them for a while will chime in.

First off, people say, they are more delicate than other mushrooms. For some reason, people are scared to cut them up too.

They say, the color takes a while to develope. Red & green can take over a year to develop. It seems it can take quite some time for the colors to devolp & for them to actually produce new mushrooms.

I want the one that develops purple. From my findings, this shroom is called "mystery tye dye" All though there seems to be quite a bit of confusion around this particular shroom among reefers. I have asked a few reefers questions about the mystery the dye, some say it is the same as the jawbreaker & some say it is different. So I am still a bit confused about this one a bit.

So for myself, I guess I will be buying one of each & see how it goes.

Hope I was helpful. Hopefully folks with more knowledge will enlighten us.

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am thinking about buying a jawbreaker and would like to know some info on them! Whats usually the going rate for a baby or smaller one? How long does it take them to get the nice red streaks and green in them? Whats ther max size? And like other shrooms are they pretty hardy? Thanks in advance :)
The price has come down quite a bit over the last few years as more and more hobbyist has them for sale. Probably currently, a dime size without any color is $150 plus shipping. There are some sold eraser tip size, most likely around $100 plus shipping.

Red can start to show up as early as 6 months and green as early as 18 months. In general, it can take a really long time for colors to show up. I believe most people are getting red in 6 - 12 months and green around 3+ years. I have 7 years experience with the Jawbreaker/Mystery TieDye and the largest polyp I've seen is over 6" diameter so far. And yes, they are really hardy when it comes to shipping as I've shipped priority mail domestically and international priority overseas, which can take up to 3 days for delivery and they've done just fine.

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the search feature & searched "jawbreaker mushroom" to find out what I have about them. Also, I asked a few people questions about them & this is what I came up with.

First off let me say that I do not own one or ever have owned one. I am no expert. This is just the info I have gathered about them.

Hopefully folks that own them & have had them for a while will chime in.

First off, people say, they are more delicate than other mushrooms. For some reason, people are scared to cut them up too.

They say, the color takes a while to develope. Red & green can take over a year to develop. It seems it can take quite some time for the colors to devolp & for them to actually produce new mushrooms.

I want the one that develops purple. From my findings, this shroom is called "mystery tye dye" All though there seems to be quite a bit of confusion around this particular shroom among reefers. I have asked a few reefers questions about the mystery the dye, some say it is the same as the jawbreaker & some say it is different. So I am still a bit confused about this one a bit.

So for myself, I guess I will be buying one of each & see how it goes.

Hope I was helpful. Hopefully folks with more knowledge will enlighten us.

Depends on what lineage that you buy as the original mother imported in USA was named Jawbreaker. When it dropped the first baby, my son-in-law's brothers and I picked up from the first owner, who was a friend of mine. The mother was then sold to Rommel at UltimateFrags and then resold to TheDigitalFishroom and renamed Mystery TieDye mushroom. There are other Jawbreakers in the CA Bay Area that is not of this lineage and they are smaller (gets to only about 2"-3") and just red comes in. As for purple, most TieDye never develops that color. Not sure if it takes more than 10 years to develop or only some polyps get that color. So, whether the Jawbreaker and TieDye is one and the same, it depends on the lineage that you purchase. I hope this clarifies any misconceptions.

Last edited:

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people are hesitant to cut for a few reasons. Some people don't like doing it for moral reasons. Others don't want to cut the $200-$300 purchase in half and risk it dying. My bet is that there are people out there that have cut them successfully.

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on who you talk to. Some say they are the same. Some say they are similar but different. You should get one of each and report back in a couple years.

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on who you talk to. Some say they are the same. Some say they are similar but different. You should get one of each and report back in a couple years.

It really depends who you buy from. The original owner had 3 babies. I own the first baby, the 2nd went to Sacramento CA area and the 3rd stayed in San Jose CA area. Then it was sold to Rommel and then over to the mid-west. This is the original Jawbreaker mother, see the photo compared to Rommel's photo off his website when he had it. They are the same mother.
jawbreaker.jpg
Mystery TieDye.jpg

Mystery TieDye.jpg

jawbreaker.jpg

Last edited:

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people are hesitant to cut for a few reasons. Some people don't like doing it for moral reasons. Others don't want to cut the $200-$300 purchase in half and risk it dying. My bet is that there are people out there that have cut them successfully.

I'm sure folks are choping them up.

Johnny, don't forget about me brother, when yours spits a baby, holler. By the way, where does yours come from?

It really depends who you buy from. The original owner had 3 babies. I own the first baby, the 2nd went to Sacramento CA area and the 3rd stayed in San Jose CA area. Then it was sold to Rommel and then over to the mid-west. This is the original Jawbreaker mother, see the photo compared to Rommel's photo off his website when he had it. They are the same mother.
Mystery TieDye.jpg jawbreaker.jpg

So do you guys stil have them? Let me know when you have some available. Also, I see them on craigslist often. Someone. Near the zoo in S.F. Posts them up. Do you know if those are legit? & who has them in the sac area? Is it mark poletti(Spl?)

I'd like to get a few different phenotypes & grow them out.

Last edited:

bfam4t6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, Mystery Tie Dyes will develop green. Mine has three small green spots. I got mine indirecly from kmaintl. I do not know exactly how old it was when I purchased it from the fellow who bought it from kmaintl, but it was about the size of a quarter or half dollar when fully inflated. It had very very tiny trace amounts of red. The green took about 6 months to develop. I've now had it for almost a year. Still no purple. I paid $225.

Now, I've seen people call this mushroom a Jawbreaker, and you can refer to kmaintl's response above to clarify that. But, I know that locally, there are at least two other strains of "Jawbreaker," mushrooms that DO NOT get green. I have never heard anyone refer to these two strains as Mystery Tie Dyes. So, if you want a better guarantee that you'll get the green and possibly purple, then I suggest you seek out a Mystery Tie Dye. Or, better yet, just make sure the person you're purchasing from can provide you with a photograph of the mother mushroom, and make sure that the mother shroom has the colors you desire.

As far as hardiness, I can't say that I've knowingly done anything to stress it, so I can't really comment there. I try to keep all of my coral healthy and stress free.

I hope that helps!

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well said. Last year was the very first year I sold a single polyp after keeping and growing out the colony for 6 years. We only sold dime size with no color except the bright neon orange... some were more yellow orange and others were more red orange. Many start coloring in red within 6 months and very few start to color in green at around 18 months. Most may start to color in green at around 3+ years. So, they are very slow growers.

In general, Mystery Tie Dyes will develop green. Mine has three small green spots. I got mine indirecly from kmaintl. I do not know exactly how old it was when I purchased it from the fellow who bought it from kmaintl, but it was about the size of a quarter or half dollar when fully inflated. It had very very tiny trace amounts of red. The green took about 6 months to develop. I've now had it for almost a year. Still no purple. I paid $225.

Now, I've seen people call this mushroom a Jawbreaker, and you can refer to kmaintl's response above to clarify that. But, I know that locally, there are at least two other strains of "Jawbreaker," mushrooms that DO NOT get green. I have never heard anyone refer to these two strains as Mystery Tie Dyes. So, if you want a better guarantee that you'll get the green and possibly purple, then I suggest you seek out a Mystery Tie Dye. Or, better yet, just make sure the person you're purchasing from can provide you with a photograph of the mother mushroom, and make sure that the mother shroom has the colors you desire.

As far as hardiness, I can't say that I've knowingly done anything to stress it, so I can't really comment there. I try to keep all of my coral healthy and stress free.

I hope that helps!

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you guys stil have them? Let me know when you have some available. Also, I see them on craigslist often. Someone. Near the zoo in S.F. Posts them up. Do you know if those are legit? & who has them in the sac area? Is it mark poletti(Spl?)

Yes, my colony is shared ownership with my son-in-law's younger brothers and we still have our original 1st daughter, plus a few granddaughters. Since we've owned the colony for over 7 years now, we've had 4 granddaughters with nice amount of green. Last year, we split the mother colony among the partners and each has 2 green polyps in their own colony. We still keep a mother colony where we frag out for sales, so we do have frags throughout the year. The zoo location in SF is where our mother colony is located.

The 2nd daughter went to a hobbyist in Sacto area, Jeremy, who sold it last year when he was relocated to Hawaii. He sold everything before moving. The 3rd daughter is still in the San Jose area.

Last edited:
Back