Jawfish

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue spotted jawfish and really like him. In a 125g. Big enough for 2? Or maybe a pearl head jawfish?

Or just be happy with the one?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those blue spots are beautiful fish. Does it have some personality? As for keeping 2? The tank's pretty big.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue spotted jawfish are less tolerant of other jawfish than most other jawfish species, but a 125g does provide significant space. As long as sightlines can be interrupted it may be possible.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it goes if you try to get a 2nd one. I have heard that the blue spotted jawfish prefer cooler water. I'm not sure if that's a myth or if there's truth to it.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they like cooler water, I keep my office tank around 75 degrees. You can have multiple females, but only one male. If you have two males they will fight to the death, I had a male and female, added a third which was a female, added a 4th and I found out real fast it was a male which fought with my existing male until I reached in with my hand and picked up the beaten male with my hand. Lucky for my nephew he got a free BSJF. The only true way is when the male is flashing (when I had my 300 gallon)

BSJF Flashing male (2).jpg

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came across another blue spotted and at my LFS and decided to take the chance. First day they both stayed to their own side. Second day (Friday) I notice the new one hanging out about a foot from the first one. I watched for a while and when they found each other, they puffed up their gills almost like Bettas, and locked jaws a few times. I decided to throw a few chunks of food in to turn their attention away. When I came back with food the new smaller one was occupying the old guys hole. And the old guy was a few inches away. Thought that was strange.

Threw in some food and they both ate. The newer one swam off with a big chunk and ended up back on the other side of the tank. For the rest of the day. I guess that's a win?

JTreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one. Kept it at cooler temps as well 68 degrees. Be very nice to have a pair.
My only thought is seems like the cooler temps could slow down the beneficial bacteria cycle. I’m not sure what steps people take to counter this. I’ve heard carbon is a must. I lost mine to a bacterial infection.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 163 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.0%
Back