Jawfish

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Triggreef, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Triggreef

Triggreef Zoa Addict R2R Supporter CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

I have a blue spotted jawfish and really like him. In a 125g. Big enough for 2? Or maybe a pearl head jawfish?

Or just be happy with the one?

Tags:

2. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Those blue spots are beautiful fish. Does it have some personality? As for keeping 2? The tank's pretty big.

3. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

Blue spotted jawfish are less tolerant of other jawfish than most other jawfish species, but a 125g does provide significant space. As long as sightlines can be interrupted it may be possible.

4. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Let us know how it goes if you try to get a 2nd one. I have heard that the blue spotted jawfish prefer cooler water. I'm not sure if that's a myth or if there's truth to it.

5. alton

alton Active Member R2R Supporter

Yes they like cooler water, I keep my office tank around 75 degrees. You can have multiple females, but only one male. If you have two males they will fight to the death, I had a male and female, added a third which was a female, added a 4th and I found out real fast it was a male which fought with my existing male until I reached in with my hand and picked up the beaten male with my hand. Lucky for my nephew he got a free BSJF. The only true way is when the male is flashing (when I had my 300 gallon)

BSJF Flashing male (2).jpg

JTreef and eatbreakfast like this.
  6. Triggreef

Yes they do I have a cool water tank, it stays about 69 degrees

leahfiish likes this.
  7. Triggreef

20180102_152752.jpg

TreyC2010, Eva Rose, alton and 2 others like this.
  8. Triggreef

So I came across another blue spotted and at my LFS and decided to take the chance. First day they both stayed to their own side. Second day (Friday) I notice the new one hanging out about a foot from the first one. I watched for a while and when they found each other, they puffed up their gills almost like Bettas, and locked jaws a few times. I decided to throw a few chunks of food in to turn their attention away. When I came back with food the new smaller one was occupying the old guys hole. And the old guy was a few inches away. Thought that was strange.

Threw in some food and they both ate. The newer one swam off with a big chunk and ended up back on the other side of the tank. For the rest of the day. I guess that's a win?

leahfiish likes this.
  9. reeferanonymous

reeferanonymous Member

Great looking fish with lots of personality.

10. JTreef

JTreef Active Member

I’ve had one. Kept it at cooler temps as well 68 degrees. Be very nice to have a pair.
    My only thought is seems like the cooler temps could slow down the beneficial bacteria cycle. I’m not sure what steps people take to counter this. I’ve heard carbon is a must. I lost mine to a bacterial infection.

Draft saved Draft deleted