Jay's New Bigger... But Still Little Ocean - 600 gallons.

OP
OP
JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all it’s been super hectic in my life for the last few months and to top it off I am dealing with a hair algae issue that I may finally be getting ahead of. But I wanted to share some photographs of the Sea Lettuce that I have been successfully growing in my smaller Pax Bellum reactor. I filled an entire gallon ziplock bag with what was harvested. Too bad my tangs only want the fast food version of algae.

IMG_8662.jpeg RenderedImage.jpeg IMG_8664.jpeg IMG_8665.jpeg IMG_8666.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all it’s been super hectic in my life for the last few months and to top it off I am dealing with a hair algae issue that I may finally be getting ahead of. But I wanted to share some photographs of the Sea Lettuce that I have been successfully growing in my smaller Pax Bellum reactor. I filled an entire gallon ziplock bag with what was harvested. Too bad my tangs only want the fast food version of algae.

IMG_8662.jpeg RenderedImage.jpeg IMG_8664.jpeg IMG_8665.jpeg IMG_8666.jpeg
Nice looking reactor!

OP
OP
JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the GHL stuff?
I had a specific want in my mind when focusing on how many chemicals I wanted to dose, keeping additives mixed accordingly and testing. The GHL equipment fit better than other options available on the market. The experience regarding the ION Director and availability of probes leaves a bit of a salty taste in my mouth but after almost 3 years I have a working probe and I'm still waiting on two other probes that were purchased, one within a week of receiving my ION Director 3 years ago from a vendor in Canada (I live in the US) and one that I ordered more recently from GHL, of which their turn around times on the webpage are absolutely incorrect. My dosers are 2.1 dosers and not the new 2.2 version so they have been solid. and I have no complaints about my KH Director.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet Reef! A little tip on the phyto... it needs to be shaken everyday. RN phyto Feast is 100x concentrated so you can get the most for your money but Sustainable Aquatics is the only phyto that I know that does not need to be shaken. Phyto Feast is so thick that you can get away with shaking every 3 days. I culture pods and phyto but supplement with a little Phyto Feast because it's awesome. It also had a 6 month shelf life. I'd add about 15ml to that tank. 1-3ml/gal for normal phyto. It really helps. I attribute the lack of dinos and minimal algae to my new Reef because of tons of pods and phyto. Another tip... Tigger Pods are a waste of money. Stick with apocylops and tisbe. Tiggers stay in the water column so are in your filter socks and skimmer within hours. They are too large for mandarins to eat but wrasse will munch on them while they are about. I am a firm believer that the only reason they are sold is because they are easy to be seen in those little tiny bottles.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back