OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been working on re-reinforcing the Ikea stand that I bought for tank. Just wasn't comfortable put the weight on it.

Anyway, finally done, except for putting doors back on...

Resized_20171011_125724_4454.jpeg
Resized_20171011_140828_2731.jpeg
Resized_20171011_164753001_8857.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That should be much stronger now, you may want to watch it as you put weight on it for flexing in the middle, not a whole lot of weight from the tank actually goes to the middle but it is one place a stand can flex to compensate for weight. If it does flex a little, put a few horizontal struts in under the top section.

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That should be much stronger now, you may want to watch it as you put weight on it for flexing in the middle, not a whole lot of weight from the tank actually goes to the middle but it is one place a stand can flex to compensate for weight. If it does flex a little, put a few horizontal struts in under the top section.

No worries there I have that 3/4 plywood framed in. Plus the back is now the same plywood so no sag at all on top.

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nautical_nathaniel do you find the screen blocks too much light? I don't get why they left so much space on the screen (front to back).

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nautical_nathaniel do you find the screen blocks too much light? I don't get why they left so much space on the screen (front to back).
It does seem to block some light but I also think it helps diffuse it a little better. However, I'm thinking about trying to put together a custom frame and screen using that clear plastic mesh that has thinner strands that the stock screen. I think the stock screen reflects too much light back up towards my wall and ceiling and it's not all that sturdy. Mine's also old enough that salt corrosion is stating to eat away at the corners of the screen frame.

The space in between the screen and the tank also bothers me. I've lost a few fish because of that 1/4" gap (Yellow Watchman Goby, Engineer Goby, and a Blue Gudgeon Dartfish) and I have to constantly remind myself to check it after I do anything with the lid. I slide it all the way forward now and use the screen holding tabs to block the corners. Since then any fish that have tried to squeeze out have landed in the filtration area in the back and I scoop them out the next day (that's only happened twice though).

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem to block some light but I also think it helps diffuse it a little better. However, I'm thinking about trying to put together a custom frame and screen using that clear plastic mesh that has thinner strands that the stock screen. I think the stock screen reflects too much light back up towards my wall and ceiling and it's not all that sturdy. Mine's also old enough that salt corrosion is stating to eat away at the corners of the screen frame.

The space in between the screen and the tank also bothers me. I've lost a few fish because of that 1/4" gap (Yellow Watchman Goby, Engineer Goby, and a Blue Gudgeon Dartfish) and I have to constantly remind myself to check it after I do anything with the lid. I slide it all the way forward now and use the screen holding tabs to block the corners. Since then any fish that have tried to squeeze out have landed in the filtration area in the back and I scoop them out the next day (that's only happened twice though).

You going with the BRS kit? Was looking at the @ArtFully Acrylic but it's a premium price and 6 week turnaround.

I'm trying to find a link that I saw for another place that does them. I think they are in Orlando if I remember correctly.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You going with the BRS kit? Was looking at the @ArtFully Acrylic but it's a premium price and 6 week turnaround.

I'm trying to find a link that I saw for another place that does them. I think they are in Orlando if I remember correctly.
I was actually thinking about going with 1/4" acrylic but having a large hole cut in the middle of it and gluing/framing a screen in there, I still like having a lot of airflow over the top of my tank. There's a guy I follow on Instagram and Facebook, Blue Tide Acrylics, that I was going to ask about doing some custom work for me. I'm thinking about drawing up a design in CAD and sending it to him since I'm pretty sure his laser cutter or CNC machine uses CAD files to operate. If I go through with that there will definitely be a write-up about it on my build thread or a separate thread as well.

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions please on these 2 aquascapes.

The 2nd one bonsai-ish still needs something on left. Just checking if it looks good.

Resized_20171019_182505_9959.jpeg
Resized_20171019_182438_1690.jpeg

20171019_194326.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171021_102255.jpg
Finally water in the tank. Seeded with Bio-Spira and ammonia to start the fishless cycle.

Need to do some wiring, hook up the ATO and have the Nanobox being delivered today.

Should be clear by tomorrow...

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the Nanobox Duo Plus M.

Have to figure out all the settings. Tank still cycling. Following Dr. Tims guide. Ammonia down everyday but still not at zero nitrates.

The glare off the white screen top is blinding.

Any recommendations to paint it? Would Plasti-dip work? Safe?

20171028_160151.jpg

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added first fish and a few frags from main tank. Plus fragged a piece from my torch... first time I've done that.

20171107_154608.jpg
20171107_154722.jpg
20171107_154640.jpg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the stand, I really like the look of that and it’s a bit easier than doing one from scratch. How’s it holding up? I’m also curious how tall it is.

OP
OP
jazzmik

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the stand, I really like the look of that and it’s a bit easier than doing one from scratch. How’s it holding up? I’m also curious how tall it is.

Thanks. Holding up great. It's 36in tall which was a must for me.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't picture what that reinforcement would look like on the stand until I saw it with the door on. Impressive design.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the tank doing @jazzmik ? Great thread. I love the stand. I couldn't stand the stock top of the Nuvo and have since just left it open top. Only a pair of clowns in mine, and thankfully they don't jump! ...yet

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back