JB 20 gallon build

jcburdette2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, new to the forum.
This is my second go around with a nano tank. I had a 10 gallon tank several years ago.

oldsalttank.jpg

oldsalttank2.jpg

don't mind the linkin park album in the background. this was 2007 or so. I was also still at home with my parents.

My oldest is almost 5 now and my wife and I decided this would be a great thing to start up for helping with homeschooling and something to look at and enjoy that doesn't involve a screen.

keeping it simple for now on this build. bought all brand new equipment and stand.
-aquaclear 70 powerfilter
-current orbit LED
-100w heater
-koralia nano 425 (on order)

we bought live sand (20lbs) and rock(13.5lbs) from the LFS in Richmond (not really local for us as its in hour drive)

been running the tank for a few days. been showing my oldest all the testing and using the refractometer.
anyways. we are excited. below are a couple pics of the new tank.
cheers!
IMG_2966.JPG
IMG_2967.JPG

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Jcburdette2!

The tank looks promising ... and the mission made me smile. Like your child, my granddaughter (age six-and-a-half) has a curious mind, and loves anything to do with science. Test kits? Yes, please! Microscope for Christmas? Best _ever_!

Enjoy the wonder . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
jcburdette2

jcburdette2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received power head. Going to mess around with placement to see what's optimal for now. Suggestions are welcomed!

OP
OP
jcburdette2

jcburdette2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerhead placement for now. Will probably order another one in a week or so. Lots of brown algae growth on the rocks. Will be doing "science tests" with the oldest this evening and update our chart to track the tank cycle.

IMG_20170216_161209.jpg

OP
OP
jcburdette2

jcburdette2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been doing our water tests every other day for about 12 days now. pH is good at 8.2. ammonia has been steady at .25ppm. nitrite has been at 0 and nitrates have been at 10( I may have the two backwards). We are currently using the APi basic test kit.
still waiting on the cycle to complete. we used the Bio-spira when putting in the LR, sand and water at the advice of the LFS to help speed up the process.
Lessons being learned now for everyone is patience.

OP
OP
jcburdette2

jcburdette2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 30 days into our cycle. Last week or so there's been alot of this green hair algae growing on the one rock. Just wondering if this is something to try and take care of now or it will be taken care of during the cycle. Thanks!

ae9032e52ee4e09cfd558a3ba136a6ad.jpg

OP
OP
jcburdette2

jcburdette2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just running the foam and the biomax at the moment. Once I get a few things in the tank Im thinking of just running the foam with carbon and eventually buy one of those reef glass nano skimmers

OP
OP
jcburdette2

jcburdette2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note. We are still in the cycling process. Haven't tested in a few days so interested to see when we do our tests later this evening

OP
OP
jcburdette2

jcburdette2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had been out of town for a few days and got back to see alot of algae growth. Performed our tests and everything was at 0. Did a 50% water change today and did tests again a couple hours later and still have readings at 0 for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It's been about 5 weeks since we started running the tank. I think we are ready to start stocking it up slowly. We haven't decided on what fish to start with yet. So suggestions are welcomed

OP
OP
jcburdette2

jcburdette2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we went out and picked up these little guys at the LFS. Been watching them for a few weeks now at the store. Will be getting the CUC in the next week. Probably should have done the opposite order, but you k ow what they say about hindsight. Our daughter is super excited

2a4294cd0710b0144ed76d80b47cd3b2.jpg

OP
OP
jcburdette2

jcburdette2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimated a few snails, crabs and peppermint shrimp. Wish I had this when I was running my first tank

7fdd57bbf03b98b4f7aa34a809ce82bd.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back