JBJ Chiller Questions

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I connect through my return pump or separate pump? From my sump or from my display tank?

When it doesn’t run for 7 months, should I be concerned with the liquid left in the coils?

Or disconnect, flush, and stow away during the off season?

Thanks!

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I connect through my return pump or separate pump? From my sump or from my display tank?

When it doesn’t run for 7 months, should I be concerned with the liquid left in the coils?

Or disconnect, flush, and stow away during the off season?

Thanks!

There is a lot of variables to consider:

How big is your tank?
What is the temperature in warm months?
Have you tried a fan blowing across water surface to bring temp down for the 5 months of warm weather?

My jbj is attached to a Cor20 which is 1 of 2 main pumps in the sump. It runs water through the chiller whether it’s actively cooling or not cooling. The cooled water returns to the sump.

It’s important to follow the manufacturers recommendation for gpm flow...so you may consider a seperate pump just for the chiller depending on your set up ( but another pump means more heat ).

I wouldn’t disconnect it. Water will flow through and it will help keep your temperature stable.

Hope these thoughts are helpful.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run return pump => chiller => display. Some years, I took it offline, flushed it with a 5 gallon bucket and weak muratic acid to clean out the coils. Some years, I left it on the tank.

I found that the sump got too cold if I went sump => chiller => sump.

I kept the temp probe in the display.

That thing should have titanium coils, so just flush it out with RO and it should be fine.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run return pump => chiller => display. Some years, I took it offline, flushed it with a 5 gallon bucket and weak muratic acid to clean out the coils. Some years, I left it on the tank.

I found that the sump got too cold if I went sump => chiller => sump.

I kept the temp probe in the display.

That thing should have titanium coils, so just flush it out with RO and it should be fine.

Yes, depends on the size of sump, how much water is moving through the chiller and speed of water flowing through the sump.

So many variables makes this hobby fun!

OP
OP
jgaepi

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of variables to consider:

How big is your tank?
29 in display and 14 in sump.

What is the temperature in warm months?
I live in Davis. It gets hot and dry. Our house is well insulated. The house quickly gets to 80 and stays 80. Even with the AC. Then we run a whole house at night. I had a JBJ in 2014 on an old bio cube and it was one of my first orders for this new tank. Ran it through the flow pump on the bio.

Have you tried a fan blowing across water surface to bring temp down for the 5 months of warm weather?
Yes.

My jbj is attached to a Cor20 which is 1 of 2 main pumps in the sump. It runs water through the chiller whether it’s actively cooling or not cooling. The cooled water returns to the sump.

It’s important to follow the manufacturers recommendation for gpm flow...so you may consider a seperate pump just for the chiller depending on your set up ( but another pump means more heat ).

I wouldn’t disconnect it. Water will flow through and it will help keep your temperature stable.
K. Thank you.

Hope these thoughts are helpful.

HOLYREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had mine I teed off the main pump back into the sump worked great just make sure you can get to it for any reason

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back