JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some pictures last night.

HOTO is looking nice and blue! Hard to capture from this angle.

HOTO.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy if that is the result of negligence... I think I have been working too hard on my systems.

LOL. To be fair that is the good stuff. No one wants to see the bad stuff!

Definitely neglected the tank. Salinity shot to 38.4ppt and I just tested PO4 and NO3 for the first time since July. I just received the new Hanna high range tester in today and wow, it is so much easier than the low range. NO3 was 29.5ppm and PO4 was 0.35ppm. That is high for my system. I was always .10 or less PO4 and 5-8ppm of NO3.

Surprised the tank did as well as it has for high salinity and nutrients.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. To be fair that is the good stuff. No one wants to see the bad stuff!

Definitely neglected the tank. Salinity shot to 38.4ppt and I just tested PO4 and NO3 for the first time since July. I just received the new Hanna high range tester in today and wow, it is so much easier than the low range. NO3 was 29.5ppm and PO4 was 0.35ppm. That is very high for my system. I was always .10 or less PO4 and 5-8ppm of NO3.

Surprised the tank did as well as it has for high salinity and nutrients.
That salinity would've freaked me out. I had an ATO flood a month or so ago and my 1.026 went to 1.020 overnight. Came out of it OK somehow.

The reef adjusted to rising nutrients okay because it was gradual and the nutrients were moving pretty much in parallel with each other. Same should happen on the way down. Slow and in parallel.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bizarre symptom for sure. Glad to hear the infusion worked well enough. Two of my golf buddies got it early on in March 2020. For one, taste / smell was his only symptom. For the other, it was no bueno. Nearly died. Smoker, drinker so had some complicating factors. Plus, nobody knew how to treat back then. Said his lungs felt like they were full of broken glass.

When the vax was released for my age, I was knocking over little old ladies to get it. I'd seen enough.
Same here, I got the shots as soon as possible. It is a bad virus. Our family doctor caught it and almost died and was paralyzed for a while. He is still not back to normal 14 months later.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you get well soon. Good to hear you've got a bit of time for your tank at least!

Thank you! I am on the tail end of it now. Yes, the tank needed this attention badly. With work being extremely busy and all 3 of my boys in Baseball; I haven't had the break to spend on the tank. I admit I let it get way out of control. It's nothing that I can't get back. Hopefully, it should be back in prime condition in no time.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I got the shots as soon as possible. It is a bad virus. Our family doctor caught it and almost died and was paralyzed for a while. He is still not back to normal 14 months later.

That is sad. I couldn't even imagine dealing with these issues for 14 months.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are recovering from Covid. You have a "Reefers thumb" for sure. Your corals always look awesome. I found out regular water changes helped out my tank a lot.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are recovering from Covid. You have a "Reefers thumb" for sure. Your corals always look awesome. I found out regular water changes helped out my tank a lot.

Thanks man! That's good to hear. How's your tank doing? Did your nutrients stabalize?

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank survived a week without electricity due to hurricane Ida. Ran on a generator. Lost a few SPS corals. Still dosing nitrates. I did a couple 50 gal water changes since then. SPS colored up and has pretty good growth.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank survived a week without electricity due to hurricane Ida. Ran on a generator. Lost a few SPS corals. Still dosing nitrates. I did a couple 50 gal water changes since then. SPS colored up and has pretty good growth.

That's good news!! Glad the tank made it through IDA and sounds like its on the right track. Got a FTS?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that one takes forever to get going doesnt it? Mine encrusted for months before sprouting a single elongated coralite

Like watching paint dry. I was wondering if I had the right coral for awhile. It was just a green encrusting mound for a year. Just started popping tips a month ago. Seems to be picking up speed now so hopefully it doesn't take long to start doing its Efflo thing.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOWZA!!! Beautiful SPS. I enjoyed reading every post. I don't know how I miss this build but I'm glad I found it.
Happy to read you are feeling better.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back