OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 rubbermade sitting out in the snow right now. It will serve as a temporary stocking tank when I upgrade my frag system to an 11 foot raceway.

I hear ya!!! 11', that is going to be awesome!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good now with growth everyday. Took some phone pictures last night and yes they are blue with no filter. Sorry, I am lazy sometimes....

20211208_225800.jpg

20211208_225750.jpg
20211208_225747.jpg
20211208_225744.jpg
20211208_225712.jpg
20211208_225637.jpg
20211208_225611.jpg
20211208_225633.jpg
20211208_225540.jpg
20211208_225555.jpg
20211208_225047.jpg

Also, I love the acrylic frag plug extensions. I know they might not be everyone's cup of tea but in person, they look like they are floating. I think they are going to look great when grown in.

20211208_225240.jpg
20211208_225247.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just returned from vacation this week from Florida. Spent a couple of days at Disney and time with relatives. It's good to be back though.

Came home to a healthy and live tank so that's always a plus. However, my Apex almost nuked my entire tank. The day after I returned I received alerts that the Apex disconnected from the internet over 300 times. When I came home from work I decided to power down the controller to do a hard reset. When the controller came back up it decided to brick itself and everything went back to its default settings. The kalk doser outlet started to run constantly due to its default settings. If I wouldn't have been home to witness this it would have dumped the entire kalk reservoir into my tank.

That morning my heaters were acting up so I reprogrammed them over my phone at 3am. When I did the upload the apex factory defaulted again. This time my DOS Doser decided to start dumping both Alk and Calcium 2-part into my system constantly. I had to rip the tubing out and stick it into a 5 gallon bucket while I scrambled to fix it. I had to dump the old programming in again and rerun all tests. Needless to say, this wasn't fun to do at 3am.

Yesterday, my DT lights were randomly going on and off and it looked like a disco. Then I went to shut my skimmer outlet off on the app and when I did that it kicked my kalkwasser pump on!! This was way too dangerous to keep up and running. Luckily, I had the Apex Classic lying around. I spent the night last night wiring everything up to my Classic and writing all new programming for it. Took about 4 hours or so but everything seems to be running ok. This should keep it running until my new Apex gets in next week.

This was a good lesson. I am going to have my Apex repaired and keep both the repaired and classic one on hand so I won't be in this predicament if this ever happens again.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped getting notification there for a bit so missed all the excitement around the APEX.

That behavior from the brain to just run the dosers flat out is rather unsettling. That is the worst possible default behavior I can think of and does not make any sense to me. But glad you caught it.

Your growth spurt after upping pH is not surprising however. Hooking kalkwasser to my frag system is one of the better things I have done the past couple years.

Happy Holidays!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped getting notification there for a bit so missed all the excitement around the APEX.

That behavior from the brain to just run the dosers flat out is rather unsettling. That is the worst possible default behavior I can think of and does not make any sense to me. But glad you caught it.

Your growth spurt after upping pH is not surprising however. Hooking kalkwasser to my frag system is one of the better things I have done the past couple years.

Happy Holidays!

Yes it would have been very bad. What happened is the system decided to default itself and the EB832 outlets changed to their default settings. Some outlets fall back to ON when they are at factory settings.

What I am thinking of doing is installing a delay off relay inline with my Kalkdoser, etc. This way if the outlet is set to ON by me or the controller then the relay will turn it off after a set duration. If it works then that should help eliminate an accidental overdose.

Loving the kalkwasser. Wish I would have never removed it.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your walt Disney is insane. I read this stuff about apex and it scares me. I have all brand new stuff I bought last year. Never even open the boxes. There are to many stories I read about failure. My reef has run for 20 years on timers, and an old reef keeper So I can have a failsafe on the heater. I am am hesitant to hook up the apex and trust my reef to it. However I really want trident for my two part as I am Traveling more for longer periods.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it would have been very bad. What happened is the system decided to default itself and the EB832 outlets changed to their default settings. Some outlets fall back to ON when they are at factory settings.

What I am thinking of doing is installing a delay off relay inline with my Kalkdoser, etc. This way if the outlet is set to ON by me or the controller then the relay will turn it off after a set duration. If it works then that should help eliminate an accidental overdose.

Loving the kalkwasser. Wish I would have never removed it.
Ahh, okay I understand better now. I use APEX DOS heads and Fusion so I should not face that issue.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your walt Disney is insane. I read this stuff about apex and it scares me. I have all brand new stuff I bought last year. Never even open the boxes. There are to many stories I read about failure. My reef has run for 20 years on timers, and an old reef keeper So I can have a failsafe on the heater. I am am hesitant to hook up the apex and trust my reef to it. However I really want trident for my two part as I am Traveling more for longer periods.

Thank you!

I say go for it! You could always use it for monitoring only for pH, temp, Trident, etc. Once your comfortable then switch things over for control. I originally did that and now my entire system runs on an Apex. Pretty scary when it fails but honestly, that was the first issue it ever gave me. I was able to go to the Bahamas for over 10 days without missing a beat and having control of your tank while on a cruise ship is pretty cool.

I remember all of the mechanical relays and timers I used in the past but personally, I would never run a tank without a controller again.

Looking forward to hearing how you like it if you decide to use it.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, okay I understand better now. I use APEX DOS heads and Fusion so I should not face that issue.

Be careful of those also. During this event I had to restart my Apex at 3am which caused it to factory default again. At this time when the Apex restarted the DOS head that doses Alk started to run constantly. This is when I had to rip out the dosing tube and stick it in a bucket until I could shut it down. If it didn't do this in front of me then it would have dumped in my entire Alk resevoir. Fun times at 3am.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture isnt the best representation. This mariculture piece that is slowly becoming a favorite. Deep blood red skin, black polyps with green tips, and cream colored growth tips.......

black unknown (1 of 1).jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back